On 23/07/2020 at 21:47, RedGemAlchemist said:

Indeed. And what about Daisy? (Would ask about Mavis as well but I think I may have asked about her before and I forgot when in the story timeline Tom is modelling.)

Daisy arrived in the 1960s and Tom is doing the 50s IIRC

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

An Update

Dear all, today I've made the decision to take Ffarquhar no further.

Truth of the matter is, now I have the shed buildings, I can see I simply do not have enough space to do it justice. I'd considered widening the boards, but operationally this is going to make things more difficult truth be told.

Maybe deep down I just don't have the spark to do it properly.

Feeling at a somewhat low right now. I think truthfully, I don't have the energy or incentive to take a layout all the way through from conception to completion.

Take care folks, It's been a blast while it lasted.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Compromise is something a modeller always has to deal with. I've been there (in both senses) and although it can be disappointing, overcoming the challenges is rewarding. I know it can be really difficult at times but if I could suggest leaving things alone for a while. We do like seeing your work and personally I think it's really rather good, but I'm all too familiar with the pressures of enforced creativity - it's not worth burning out over. Sometimes it's like working in a muddy pool, you have to back off and let things settle down. It's been discussed in another thread, but I'd suggest it's no good trying to model when you are not in the mood. That's going to dampen the brightest spark. The sub-conscious can work very efficiently, so if you can walk away for a few days, often a solution will present itself. 

Difficult times at the moment, I've a fair few worries myself but if you'll excuse me making suggestions, take Lass for some walks. 

• RMweb Premium

Ah big shame, take time out do what pleases you most and someday your enthusiasm will return.

Hope the weathering business is doing ok and not causing stress.

Hope that’s not the end of the YouTube video chats with Luke and Ben? Rather enjoyed those.

Stay safe take care, pm me if you ever need.

Cheers  

Ade

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom

Why does your model need to be fully operational at all? Wouldn’t it be fair to say that the direct inspirations for your achievements so far are those wonderful, evocative illustrations by John T. Kenny? In that context, the model and the framing in a minimal diorama could be just as rewarding,  maybe with the option of a little movement if you wire up the track. Think of it like one of those short video clips a smartphone captures when you take a still rather than an actual film!  
(Whatever you decide though, don’t worry - these super models have already given a lot of us pleasure)

Best Wishes

Martin

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Thank you for the kind comments.

I can confirm, after some good discussion with a few friends, Ffarquhar hasn't been scrapped.

I'm going to be buying some wood on Friday to make extensions to the main boards.

I'm very thankful to have decent supports and some very good friends. Otherwise my modelling would have ended long ago.

That's good if not great news the you are going to continue Tom!

Extraordinarily difficult times at present, I too have been struggling with motivation, and at times been very depressed, disinclined to do anything other than reflect of my own under-achievements, and loss of colleagues/friends through an immoral, cloak-and-dagger redundancy process. Not fishing for sympathy, just  trying to show that I understand and sympathise for anyone feeling low or down at present. 

Best wishes, 

Paul. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

That's good if not great news the you are going to continue Tom!

Extraordinarily difficult times at present, I too have been struggling with motivation, and at times been very depressed, disinclined to do anything other than reflect of my own under-achievements, and loss of colleagues/friends through an immoral, cloak-and-dagger redundancy process. Not fishing for sympathy, just  trying to show that I understand and sympathise for anyone feeling low or down at present. 

Best wishes, 

Paul. 

Seconded.

And I think we've all been having issues staying motivated these days. I know I sure as hell have. 

I'm very glad that you've had a second wind, Tom. Look forward to seeing your future progress, and not only because it's great inspiration for my own work :p

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think to a lot of people model railways are mainly a winter hobby and levels of interest go down during the summer months.  It certainly the case with me although I've still been buying stuff for my layout I haven't done any real work on it for months.  I'm sure that once the darker nights start to arrive I shall be back in there most evenings.  This time of year I'm more interested with messing about with cars

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

All you men have failed to ask the most important question. How does Mavis put her lipstick on? :jester:

All you women fail to use logic. In the same way Thomas, Edward, Henry and Gordon Shave !!!

• Funny 5

Work on No. 1 is progressing well. Lamp irons to make up next, and then he'll be going into his first coat of primer.

116212068_676282976289870_7570083512828711838_n.jpg.f152a39a08dd05e1788dedf66539de16.jpg

I'm also looking into working on the Ffarquhar goods stock. The majority will be typical stock that was running around the national network. The difference is some will have a NW prefix if it's stock that was acquired to the North Western.

Certain items of rolling stock will be specific to the branch. 8-7 plank mineral wagons and 16Ts will be used for transporting shaped stone from the stone yard, down the branch and then onwards for further a field  destinations.

There will also be smaller, 3-5 plank wagons, branded FQC which will be work strictly between the Anopha Quarry and Ffarquhar stone yard.

• Like 13

This evening I'm researching North Western Region Brake Vans.

'Spitefull Brake Van' from Book 15 'Twin Engines' is a Toad B. A donor vehicle is on its way.

116574349_10157801936812984_1489499876244976051_o.jpg.5ba70f793834021935e7f7820692da0a.jpg

The others pictured are essentially BR/ late LNER types. 
116540254_10157801933992984_328836138793895113_o.jpg.923df1e2b9b606e6be6454f6910ebfaa.jpg

116439883_10157801944747984_6006445708251096791_o.jpg.09f02316a39deb628eafe9899244d550.jpg

It's this combining of fact and fiction which I'm really enjoying. It is not about 'engines with faces' for me. It's taking a well documented world that the Reverend Awdry created, and making it fit within the real world.....which is essentially how he imagined.

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

19 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Work on No. 1 is progressing well. Lamp irons to make up next, and then he'll be going into his first coat of primer.

116212068_676282976289870_7570083512828711838_n.jpg.f152a39a08dd05e1788dedf66539de16.jpg

I'm also looking into working on the Ffarquhar goods stock. The majority will be typical stock that was running around the national network. The difference is some will have a NW prefix if it's stock that was acquired to the North Western.

Certain items of rolling stock will be specific to the branch. 8-7 plank mineral wagons and 16Ts will be used for transporting shaped stone from the stone yard, down the branch and then onwards for further a field  destinations.

There will also be smaller, 3-5 plank wagons, branded FQC which will be work strictly between the Anopha Quarry and Ffarquhar stone yard.

Would 7/8 planks and 16Ts have been used for stone? Stone is a higher density than coal so the wagons would be running half loaded?

1 minute ago, Aire Head said:

Would 7/8 planks and 16Ts have been used for stone? Stone is a higher density than coal so the wagons would be running half loaded?

going off what was illustrated on book 18. I’ve looked but unfortunately I’ve found no examples of shaped stone being transported.