19 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The lining is done in the same manner as Tri-ang did on their 3F tender locos. Again the prototypes were plain black.

Thanks for that @BernardTPM. That at least answers the question as to why JTK illustrated them that way.

Triang-Oo-Gauge-R251-Class-3F-Br-Black-_57.jpg.34045a8cc7f40c44a0db235a580cedf2.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Aire Head said:

@Hawin Dooiey I'd personally just have them in plain black with tender numbers, maybe a BR emblem somewhere (not sure where though)

I'm coming round to thinking no lining now to be honest.

I'd probably do without the BR crest, the fact they are on trial and the NWR removed the tender crest to add No. 10, i suspect means they weren't overly bothered about re adding a crest. When I do Donald in blue, I'll add a late crest on the cab side.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

I'm coming round to thinking no lining now to be honest.

I'd probably do without the BR crest, the fact they are on trial and the NWR removed the tender crest to add No. 10, i suspect means they weren't overly bothered about re adding a crest. When I do Donald in blue, I'll add a late crest on the cab side.

So Douglas in Black and Donald in blue?

• Like 1

Just now, Aire Head said:

So Douglas in Black and Donald in blue?

That's the plan at the moment.

I've gone with Douglas in Black purely because at the moment, the layout is depicted in the Autumn of 1959, which is when 'The Twin Engines' is set.

Reference is made to Douglas having trouble with a particular brake van......As @BritishGypsum4 and I have come with a direct Tidmouth-Ffarquhar pick up goods once a day, we figured we could use Douglas 'on trial' working this train with the said brake van in tow (speaking of which, the donor model has just arrived).

IMG_1652_(2).jpeg.c3adddb3f2cbc4a169330745f847b11f.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

have come with a direct Tidmouth-Ffarquhar pick up goods once a day, we figured we could use Douglas 'on trial' working this train with the said brake van in tow

I like this! Perhaps returning with a loaded train from the quarry destined for Tidmouth Docks?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aire Head said:

I like this! Perhaps returning with a loaded train from the quarry destined for Tidmouth Docks?

Once it's off the branch....it's out of my hands! :lol:

I think any goods coming off the branch to Tidmouth would be marshalled in the extensive goods yard (as seen in Book 13 'Duck and the Diesel Engine') and then go to either the docks, or onwards towards Barrow-in-Furness.

Motive Power for this goods train will be anything within the weight limit on the branch....so just as Wilbert did on Ffarquhar Mk1, I too will be utilising No. 8.

Doxie_0895.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Once it's off the branch....it's out of my hands! :lol:

I think any goods coming off the branch to Tidmouth would be marshalled in the extensive goods yard (as seen in Book 13 'Duck and the Diesel Engine') and then go to either the docks, or onwards towards Barrow-in-Furness.

Motive Power for this goods train will be anything within the weight limit on the branch....so just as Wilbert did on Ffarquhar Mk1, I too will be utilising No. 8.

Doxie_0895.jpeg

I suspect most goods to and from the Western side of the island would probably be sent to Tidmouth and then distributed from there.

The question is though will your version of the NWR economise on the letter F aswell? 

• Funny 1

16 hours ago, Kumata said:

Always wondered why Ffarquhar was spelt with two F's to begin with. Especially since the spelling "Farquhar" is a real surname. 

From the biography on Reverend Wilbert Awdry:

The name Ffarquhar was much older in origin, being the name chose in 1928 by the young Wilbert and George for the terminus of their never-completed model railway. The double "f" which suggests Welsh connections was a reference to the fact that, during the early days of the Great Western Railway, there had been plans to site a railway in a remote corner of Wales - hence the literal meaning of Ffarquhar as "far away quarry".

In the early days of the series there was no island, that came after Thomas's branch line had been mapped out. I suppose there could have been some Welsh influence on the Island of Sodor, along with Scottish, Manx and English.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'd always associated the double F of Ffarquhar with a welsh connection.

For those interested, regarding welsh pronunciation,  FF makes a 'f' sound where as a sing F makes a 'v' sound.

• Informative/Useful 3

Many thanks to a friend and neighbour for popping around tonight to talk about amending the baseboards. I think we've found a solution for the board extensions and more of that to follow in due course.

I think the results will be a really great layout to operate. First stage, clearing the layout of all stock in preparation for laying a new top board which will be wide enough to include the sidings and terraced housing.

Ffarquhar 1959 is go!

518258209_IMG_0906(1).jpeg.9d114f244278abdd5142c1afe8fcb015.jpeg

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Just now, Corbs said:

Really pleased to hear that :D 

Cheers mate!

In other news, the Annie and Clarabel kits were collected on Sunday for Mr Wealleans to construct. Hopefully going with this sort of finish to them colour wise.

116589949_10157796666177984_5176184123654575835_o.jpg.c11d79e3760e7251c4cd989a3522124b.jpg

IMG_1645.jpeg

• Like 8

On 02/08/2020 at 11:33, Knuckles said:

Maybe paint them unlined black but later when they recieve their numbers add the lining then or on separate models?   The quandry has been in my smokebox too.  

Bit late stumbling on this but think one needs to decide to either ignore the illustrations, which would make the missing painted numbers hard to explain or just embrace Kenny's oddball depiction via what's been suggested about the crew doing a spot of all over painting en route and perhaps they ran out of time/paint before they could line the boilers :P Not a direct comparison but Caledonian shunter No.494 ran with lining for some years in the pre-grouping period thanks to its loving crew and possibly a bribed Perth shop painter, may haps the twin crews blagged some assistance as well or at least got hold of some redundant Cycling Lion transfers before setting off. If ever modelling the twins in pre-book condition as well the fictional lining does offer some variance to the plain black that they and most of their brothers donned throughout their existence. Beside the initial seventeen blue members No.57625 is the only McIntosh 3F i'm aware of that received any special treatment, presumably for rail tour reasons.  FNhwidw.jpg

Edited by steves17
  • Like 3

Digging the choice of blue on the drivers :) Guessing the 50s is the decade you're looking to model No.1 above but regardless concerning the illustrations 2104 and 2105 represent the odd man out of both batches in that they lost the pump doohickies on the cab end of the tank tops ( December 53 & April 1944 respectively AFIK, not sure why concerning the latter but 104 because it received an E4X boiler). All ten lost the doohickies on the smokebox end of the tank tops when the Weir pumps were replaced with Ashford injectors in the late 40s/early 50s and the lubricators on the sides of the smokeboxes went in the 30s as well from what i've been able to gather.

Edited by steves17
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, steves17 said:

Digging the choice of blue on the drivers :) Guessing the 50s is the decade you're looking to model No.1 above but regardless concerning the illustrations 2104 and 2105 represent the odd man out of both batches in that they lost the pump doohickies on the cab end of the tank tops ( December 53 & late 1950/early 51 respectively AFIK, not sure why concerning the latter but 104 because it received an E4X boiler). All ten lost the doohickies on the smokebox end of the tank tops when the Weir pumps were replaced with Ashford injectors in the late 40s/early 50s and the lubricators on the sides of the smokeboxes went in the 30s as well from what i've been able to gather.

Myself and @BritishGypsum4 had discussed a number of the E2 variations, but we both felt as Thomas arrived on the NWR in 1915, you can't really compare him or the modifications that other E2s received on the Southern. I look on No. 1 as it's own engine and I've purposefully tried to depict him as such (conventional positioning of the Vac Pipe for example).

Anyhow, we are about ready for priming. Very pleased to have reached this point finally.

DSC07458.jpeg.bca1aeeabad28014543bce93b5bc1fda.jpeg

DSC07460.jpeg

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looking good. The point I was making about the Southern E2s though is that via Crovan's Gate it's possible to do away with those non depicted bits while also retaining the exposed coal grill and bufferbeam corners etc. Without the Weir pump the front doohickies would be redundant anyway (just trying to give a heads up before the primer goes on).

7 hours ago, steves17 said:

Looking good. The point I was making about the Southern E2s though is that via Crovan's Gate it's possible to do away with those non depicted bits while also retaining the exposed coal grill and bufferbeam corners etc. Without the Weir pump the front doohickies would be redundant anyway (just trying to give a heads up before the primer goes on).

Doohickies?
Is that the technical term for them?
I was under the impression they are breather pipes allowing air in when the injectors are on thus allowing them to work. Also helps when filling the tank and for air to escape as the tank on the opposite side starts to rise

• Agree 1

Hi Ben

Lol no not the technical term at all but i've never come across an official name part for them or the other set of thingamabobs closest to the cab end of the tank tops (the original batch didn't have them as constructed as they had the pipes going to the roof as seen on some other Brighton engines built prior but No.32104 lost them when it gained the E4X boiler and 2105 in April 1944 for reasons i'm unsure of). All I can tell you about the smokebox end set is that they are related to the Weir pump as when the cold injectors replaced them they disappeared.

Edited by steves17
  • Informative/Useful 1