Should have been working - been reading this thread from the beginning.  I've done bits and pieces of the NWR in N gauge over the years but not to the level of detail and research you've done.  I shall have to lift my game!  Very impressive and inspirational.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Brocp said:

Not doing 11 or Diesel Tom?

You're an LNER man at heart, surely you could, no, should do No.4 as well?

Already done 11, but he’s outside my time period.

I may do 3 and 4 one day, but as non branch locos they aren’t on the agenda at the moment.

Id forgotten Diesel, he’s on order from Rails at the moment, so yes...will be utilised on the pick up goods (circa 1958/59).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Already done 11, but he’s outside my time period.

I may do 3 and 4 one day, but as non branch locos they aren’t on the agenda at the moment.

Id forgotten Diesel, he’s on order from Rails at the moment, so yes...will be utilised on the pick up goods (circa 1958/59).

That must have been a slow run from Tidmouth!

1 hour ago, Corbs said:

Hi Tom, sorry if you already answered this but does that mean your Diesel is a Class 11 or a Class 12?

Still 08 with all the speed limits that entails.

6 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

My Ffarquhar fleet for circa 1959.

118449416_10157872507207984_558119099407514157_o.jpg.fb5ed23c3130ee692430c7d1d342f174.jpg

Fantastic models Tom! The light weathering really does make them seem so real. I’m impressed with it on all of them, but especially nos. 6 and 7, it really elevates the already fantastic models.

A bit unrelated, but I imagine there must be some kind of simple explanation for that I’m simply not privy to, for why no.5741 (or no.8 “Duck”) is carrying GWR lettering in 1959, especially amongst the other three, with their “cycling lion“ crests.

The North Western Region was seemingly allowed a lot of independence compared to the other regions, I presume this is some kind of result from that? As, to my knowledge, it is documented in IOS that no.5741 “Duck” arrived in a BR livery. So unless I’ve forgotten any canonical reason allowing for the GWR lettering, I’d be curious about any headcanon theories anyone may have about the matter.

That’s me getting off topic though, sorry about that. Whatever the case may be for no.5741, I must again congratulate you on your fantastic fleet of Ffarquhar locos, I’m very impressed with them all. And I look forward to seeing more of what you have to share with us in future :)

-Alex

1 minute ago, AJW98Productions said:

Fantastic models Tom! The light weathering really does make them seem so real. I’m impressed with it on all of them, but especially nos. 6 and 7, it really elevates the already fantastic models.

A bit unrelated, but I imagine there must be some kind of simple explanation for that I’m simply not privy to, for why no.5741 (or no.8 “Duck”) is carrying GWR lettering in 1959, especially amongst the other three, with their “cycling lion“ crests.

The North Western Region was seemingly allowed a lot of independence compared to the other regions, I presume this is some kind of result from that? As, to my knowledge, it is documented in IOS that no.5741 “Duck” arrived in a BR livery. So unless I’ve forgotten any canonical reason allowing for the GWR lettering, I’d be curious about any headcanon theories anyone may have about the matter.

That’s me getting off topic though, sorry about that. Whatever the case may be for no.5741, I must again congratulate you on your fantastic fleet of Ffarquhar locos, I’m very impressed with them all. And I look forward to seeing more of what you have to share with us in future :)

-Alex

5741 on arrival was in BR livery but repainted into GWR livery courtesy of IOS.

DUCK (Official NWR No.8; but carries GWR type number plates 5741.)
A GWR 0-6-0 pannier tank engine of the 57xx class designed by Mr Collett*in 1929 for branch line goods and passenger service. Duck was bought by Sir Topham in 1955to take Percy's place as station pilot at Tidmouth (PSE/26,27), and since Sir Topham had been trained at Swindon, and admired things Great Western, he allowed Duck to revert from BR to GWR livery. Duck had arrived at Tidmouth bearing the number 5741, but it is by no means certain that this was the number which had been allotted to him ex-Works.

Since taking u p his duties at Tidmouth, Duck has contributed greatly to the efficiency of the Yard. Therefore when Sir Topham re-opened the Arlesburgh Branch in 1967 (EE/56,57), by placing Duck in charge, he gave him promotion which was very well deserved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

5741 on arrival was in BR livery but repainted into GWR livery courtesy of IOS.

Thanks for replying and sharing the specific quote, Tom! :) 

I do still wonder as to how the North Western Region was able to get 5741 to carry GWR lettering, under the watchful eye of BR. But maybe I either need to reread IOS, or just let that mystery be just that. Either way, thank you for your speedy and informative reply, and I think the model of 5741 is fantastic!

-Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AJW98Productions said:

I do still wonder as to how the North Western Region was able to get 5741 to carry GWR lettering, under the watchful eye of BR. But maybe I either need to reread IOS, or just let that mystery be just that. Either way, thank you for your speedy and informative reply, and I think the model of 5741 is fantastic!

-Alex

They probably got away with it because BR wasn't watching them that much at all.

• Like 3

Regarding 5741, I had considered adding some sort of BR branding, but with GWR ever present on the tanks, to add a crest on the bunker (which would be difficult on one side due to the steps) felt too much.

Let's just say by 1955 the North Western Region were becoming a little blasé.

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Regarding 5741, I had considered adding some sort of BR branding, but with GWR ever present on the tanks, to add a crest on the bunker (which would be difficult on one side due to the steps) felt too much.

Let's just say by 1955 the North Western Region were becoming a little blasé.

That's understandable. I was trying to visualise where on 5741 a crest would fit and couldn't think of anything that would still allow for retention of the GWR lettering (though, I'd forgotten the steps are only on one side of the model.

Regarding explanations for the GWR lettering, I quite like your and Aire Head's explanations. The thought of the North Western Region becoming a bit blasé does amuse me, I must confess.

Anyway, musings over Duck's livery have probably hijacked this thread for long enough. At the end of the day, I think we can all agree on one thing. Dalby has a lot to answer for. :lol:

Looking forward to how this will progress, the models and set so far feel lifted straight out of the books, well done Tom!

-Alex

• RMweb Premium

I never went to Reading until after I was 5 in mid 1955, but sometime after then I definitely saw at least one "Pannier" tank in the "General" station still wearing a very worn GWR livery and lettering - so it was not just the North Western Region that was somewhat tardy in adopting the BR livery!

To me it has always seemed reasonable that "Duck" retained is GWR livery and number plates - I too had a "Gaiety" bodied 57xx model.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

I never went to Reading until after I was 5 in mid 1955, but sometime after then I definitely saw at least one "Pannier" tank in the "General" station still wearing a very worn GWR livery and lettering - so it was not just the North Western Region that was somewhat tardy in adopting the BR livery!

To me it has always seemed reasonable that "Duck" retained is GWR livery and number plates - I too had a "Gaiety" bodied 57xx model.

Regards

Chris H

Indeed the Aberystwyth station pilot was still carrying GWR on its tanks in 1963!

Aberystwyth shed carried out far more major works on her than they were supposed to, in order to prevent her from being sent to Swindon and repainted!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Regards

Chris H

It is mention in TIOS that he arrived in BR livery and was repainted on instruction of Sir Topham Hatt

35 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Indeed the Aberystwyth station pilot was still carrying GWR on its tanks in 1963!

Aberystwyth shed carried out far more major works on her than they were supposed to, in order to prevent her from being sent to Swindon and repainted!

One I modelled (she was a Croes Newydd loco for a time) for my Cwm Prysor layout on Bala Branch.

_MG_8498.jpeg

• Like 10

On 26/08/2020 at 14:34, Aire Head said:

Branch line life does very much proceed at its own pace!

I'd be interested to see the WTT if that's possible? :)

I've found it is still a work in progress! :lol:

I'll let you into a little secret about my methods but it is a bit boring.
Firstly I looked at a few timetables that I have copies for, for a variety of branch lines. I needed to know the mileages too. The best one was the Bala branch. 
Secondly I then used the map along with Rev Awdry's descriptions in IOS. If he mentioned any mileages these were then compared to the 1992 map that I was using. (I prefer this map over any others)
Now whatever the error was that was used to calculate the ratio of the error and also I used that to work out the rest of the branch line in its total length. Once happy then it was back to the timetables and looking at speeds etc of the various trains.

By now I had told Tom that I had started to do the timetable and this led to further discussion with regarding the variety of trains and of course this then meant we started to look at the Railway Series books. We know that Thomas runs into Tidmouth on at least one train (Special Coach) and therefore it was decided that he'd return to Tidmouth later on to return said coach as well.
Tom then liked the idea of one of the goods trains that is hauled by someone else (Duck, Diesel, James etc) and so I looked over the timetable once more and then adjusted so that gave me two copies.

But no matter whatever looks right in an Excel spreadsheet table there is no substitute for actually drawing out a train graph. I then realised that two trains clashed so had to adjust it to suit! :huh::lol:

Now Diesel the 08 did cause a few niggles. His speed was too low to fit in to where I had this goods train in the normal timetable. This was moved to later on where there was a slot for this to run. (Timetable 3!)

What I also had to take into consideration was also which stations had loops and which didn't. So that also was restricting in some ways. All in all it proved to rather entertaining and not just one night's work. I did find it surprisingly enjoyable but I wouldn't rush to try and do one for the main line at any time..... :blink::wacko:

Apologises that I am not sharing it though. I did it as a bit of fun for Tom but with the discussions that we have gone into there has been a fair amount of work gone into it to get it to something that works. Plus it is a bit of horse trading too with Tom, for which I am eternally grateful.

I am also looking at doing Ffarquhar myself in the garage in 7mm however I fear that it will end up being more like Rev's MKII layout than the illustrations from the book. Not that there is anything wrong with that as I do think that it was a good layout for the space he had to use.
Failing that I will look at doing Elsbridge and Dryaw, one on either side of the garage.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

I've found it is still a work in progress! :lol:

I'll let you into a little secret about my methods but it is a bit boring.
Firstly I looked at a few timetables that I have copies for, for a variety of branch lines. I needed to know the mileages too. The best one was the Bala branch. 
Secondly I then used the map along with Rev Awdry's descriptions in IOS. If he mentioned any mileages these were then compared to the 1992 map that I was using. (I prefer this map over any others)
Now whatever the error was that was used to calculate the ratio of the error and also I used that to work out the rest of the branch line in its total length. Once happy then it was back to the timetables and looking at speeds etc of the various trains.

By now I had told Tom that I had started to do the timetable and this led to further discussion with regarding the variety of trains and of course this then meant we started to look at the Railway Series books. We know that Thomas runs into Tidmouth on at least one train (Special Coach) and therefore it was decided that he'd return to Tidmouth later on to return said coach as well.
Tom then liked the idea of one of the goods trains that is hauled by someone else (Duck, Diesel, James etc) and so I looked over the timetable once more and then adjusted so that gave me two copies.

But no matter whatever looks right in an Excel spreadsheet table there is no substitute for actually drawing out a train graph. I then realised that two trains clashed so had to adjust it to suit! :huh::lol:

Now Diesel the 08 did cause a few niggles. His speed was too low to fit in to where I had this goods train in the normal timetable. This was moved to later on where there was a slot for this to run. (Timetable 3!)

What I also had to take into consideration was also which stations had loops and which didn't. So that also was restricting in some ways. All in all it proved to rather entertaining and not just one night's work. I did find it surprisingly enjoyable but I wouldn't rush to try and do one for the main line at any time..... :blink::wacko:

Apologises that I am not sharing it though. I did it as a bit of fun for Tom but with the discussions that we have gone into there has been a fair amount of work gone into it to get it to something that works. Plus it is a bit of horse trading too with Tom, for which I am eternally grateful.

I am also looking at doing Ffarquhar myself in the garage in 7mm however I fear that it will end up being more like Rev's MKII layout than the illustrations from the book. Not that there is anything wrong with that as I do think that it was a good layout for the space he had to use.
Failing that I will look at doing Elsbridge and Dryaw, one on either side of the garage.

Nice description. Speaking from my own experience, I usually work up the train graph first rather than the spreadsheet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

To be honest I can see how that could (would) be a lot easier but I went with the spreadsheet first as I was constantly altering a few of the timings. I did well to only clash a couple of times. 

It was trying to make it as plausible as possible too which I enjoyed too.

Yes, six and half-a-dozen I think. I start with the graph to establish the basics, including crossings and other conflicts, then make up the spreadsheet. I do any further adjustments with the spreadsheet alone, noting that I run my  layout with a sequence rather than a timetable so that makes those changes simpler.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1