• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Compound,

Leeds may be bye-passed to the south west using the chord that allows non stop to London all the way from Barrow via Carnfoth and Settle Junction.

Gibbo.

Fully aware, and of course much used by goods trains. But I'm fairly certain that all passenger trains ran into Wellington station and reversed, Leeds being such a major traffic centre. I'm sure there would have been at least as many Sodor-Leeds bookings by this train as Sodor-London. 

The Laird would know if any passenger trains avoided Wellington, as he's building a model of it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This may be of interest.

In 1971, Wilbert never wrote a Book 26, which was the first time there had been a gap since 1947. Instead he produced with artist Peter Edwards, the Surprise Packet. A glossy card type satchel, which featured, artwork, maps and games plus snippets of Railway Series information. I luckily picked one up 10 years ago.

62242711_2090672944392224_8597271096221237248_n.jpg.b388206428b1114c8f10246f8f9560da.jpg

I have just scanned the 'Sodor Rail' Poster, because frankly I think it looks amazing. I love the art deco style, and the NWR logo, a twist on the BR emblem.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Enjoyed the Patriot/Scot debate.

My question is what is Duck? His most prominent feature, after the pannier tanks, is the pair of above running plate sandboxes. To me, this makes him seem to be a pre-grouping pannier; either a 2721 or 1854; maybe an 1813, but not one of the Wolverhampton engines! What do people think?

• Like 1

Officially he is a 5700 class he called Montague.  Wilbert Awdry had an old Gaiety Models pannier and it waddled so they nick named it Duck.

The extended sandboxes are just another illustrative peculiarity although as an upgrade they make sense.  Maybe C.R.Dalby, the illustrator had a 2700 photograph to hand.

The official NWR number is 8 but he was allowed to run with the 5741 number he arrived with to keep his GWR heritage.  The source material also states this may not have been his original number though.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

DSCF4243SML.jpg.f4e105eb933ed98e8ef93d0842294c1f.jpg

Going back to cranes for a moment - bearing in mind that the real things tend to be somewhat large a measure of selective compression is ideal for most modellers. Here is Kibri's take on a dockside crane, suitably more convincing than the Airfix/Dapol variant, posed with a Scalescenes ship and some 4mm scale stock.

• Like 4

On 27/06/2019 at 10:21, ian said:

DSCF4243SML.jpg.f4e105eb933ed98e8ef93d0842294c1f.jpg

Going back to cranes for a moment - bearing in mind that the real things tend to be somewhat large a measure of selective compression is ideal for most modellers. Here is Kibri's take on a dockside crane, suitably more convincing than the Airfix/Dapol variant, posed with a Scalescenes ship and some 4mm scale stock.

The Kibri model is definitely a more authentic model of a dockside crane than the Airfix offering and Gerard Voisin told me that he adapted it to produce the upper part of his models of the Dieppe cranes. Unfortunately though it's not at all typical of a British dockside crane (though possibly to be found in a shipyard) . However, I think either could be adapted to something more typical of a British port though it would probably require two of the Airfix/Dapol kits to get the extra steelwork. Other British makers, notably Thomson-Houston, did produce dockside cranes using the Toplis level luffing system, so they weren't all Stothert and Pitt. I'm now starting a new thread on dockside cranes

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/145628-dockside-cranes/

Edited by Pacific231G
added link

3 hours ago, exet1095 said:

Enjoyed the Patriot/Scot debate.

My question is what is Duck? His most prominent feature, after the pannier tanks, is the pair of above running plate sandboxes. To me, this makes him seem to be a pre-grouping pannier; either a 2721 or 1854; maybe an 1813, but not one of the Wolverhampton engines! What do people think?

Another intriguing difference with Duck, when compared to other 57XX class locomotives. He is autofitted.

Awdry makes it cleared when Oliver arrived in 1969 that he purchased a further three auto coaches (two for Duck and another for Oliver to add to the one 'Isobel' that he arrived with).

That is how I have depicted my Duck.

DSC05712.jpg.7a8e42a7e2c9c29c29c6839a4a8233c5.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 8

Working on Railway Series Percy this evening. This is one of @Knuckles 3D printed bodies, fitted on a Hornby Peckett Chassis.

65377453_1196214047238088_603788229048532992_n.jpg.7eeb79800049a6ba211a798e24245a90.jpg

Body cleaned up ready for buffers to be fitted, and then the first coat of primer (plastic filler).

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A proper dockside crane, for unloading big ships efficiently, is a very large piece of equipment.  The jib must be able to reach over the far side of the hold of a ship of perhaps 30’ beam, and not luff so low that it affects SWL.  Bristol docks has preserved examples of the sort of thing common in the later steam era. 

The Airfix and Kibri cranes are much too small, intended as dockyard cranes for the purpose of lifting machinery or equipment aboard ships being repaired; they have neither the capacity or power for serious cargo handling.  One can understand why they are marketed, though; proper cranes are much too big for most domestic layouts.  We are talking about something about 4 feet high in 00. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Detailing bits now given a coat of primer. Pleased so far!
IMG_3941.jpg.4181217e25460ed609218620a15273bb.jpg
Need to add etched lamp irons next before a last waft with the bauxite primer.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Rail-Online said:

Tom,

I think it worthwhile filling and sanding the bottonm of that saddle tank some more before the top coat is applied

Tony

Tony

I think the print lines are more obvious, as I went over them with the sanding sticks which in due course has removed the primer (as I've done on the smokebox).

It is due another coat of primer today.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 9793 said:

Morning all!

Handrails now fitted, one more fine blast of primer before the top coat.

Looking great that Tom and the Peckett chassis looks like it’s a great match and a good runner.

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Looking great that Tom and the Peckett chassis looks like it’s a great match and a good runner.

Cheers 

Cheers Ade!

Yeah @Knuckles designed the body to fit the chassis. I have some little details I want to add (ejector pipe, reversing lever). 

I do want to pick up a Rapido J70 though, to represent NWR 7 'Toby'.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 9793 said:

I do want to pick up a Rapido J70 though, to represent NWR 7 'Toby'.

Percy looks great so far! Tempted to get a peckett and body myself... 

The J70s are fantastic locos.
Would highly recommend one for Toby, definitely worth their value.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Sharky said:

The J70s are fantastic locos.
Would highly recommend one for Toby, definitely worth their value.

I agree with this assessment of the Rapido model, it really is superb in every way. I have two and the detailing is second to none. Its motor and gears are one of the smoothest mechanisms I've come across. They also have plenty of room for sound as well, if that's your thing.

I am following this new venture with interest Tom. I have stashed away Knuckles' photos of the SR pattern van and the 6-plank open in NW livery so that I can paint and letter models of these for use on my own fictional line. The NWR is a really fascinating "prototype" to study and model because, as you and Knuckles say, there is so much supporting information, plus its just plain good old fun. The reason I model fantasy lines is to balance the serious side of trying to model British prototypes accurately leavened with a spoon or two of whimsey and humour.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 4

On 27/06/2019 at 00:50, 9793 said:

62242711_2090672944392224_8597271096221237248_n.jpg.b388206428b1114c8f10246f8f9560da.jpg

I have just scanned the 'Sodor Rail' Poster, because frankly I think it looks amazing. I love the art deco style, and the NWR logo, a twist on the BR emblem.

He was four years late for the psychedelic summer of lurve but that is still a fairly far-out poster. Love the colours and the trippy expressions on the engines. I wonder what fuel they were using?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I am following this new venture with interest Tom. I have stashed away Knuckles' photos of the SR pattern van and the 6-plank open in NW livery so that I can paint and letter models of these for use on my own fictional line. The NWR is a really fascinating "prototype" to study and model because, as you and Knuckles say, there is so much supporting information, plus its just plain good old fun. The reason I model fantasy lines is to balance the serious side of trying to model British prototypes accurately leavened with a spoon or two of whimsey and humour.

Thanks for the kind comments Martin.

I'm really enjoying this venture! I'm in the process of ordering my baseboards as we speak! :)

I've a few little more details to add to NWR No 6 'Percy' (reversing rod and ejector pipe) before we then think about top coat. I've had a bit of a battle trying to find a green I was happy with. I think I've found one I like thanks to @ExplosiveCookie. Games Workshop mute green, which if it work out well, I'll be using it on Henry, the colour doesn't look too dissimilar to how Henry appears here in Book 18 'Stepney the Bluebell Engine' (written 1963).

Meeting_Turntable_SBE_No18.png.2754d6fa4c3174bb0906128c1fb77327.png

Edited by 9793
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

What is going on there? Everyone seems very disgruntled with Gordon; is it because he’s been bragging about his square buffers?

Why does Gordon have square buffers anyway?

Ha, no!

It was when a Class 40 arrived in 1962/1963 and was rather rude about the engines.

53CB1C41-9BD4-41E6-88F8-DC57B457A633.png.7a6b3927b0da7f1e77683869057e8eb2.png

Gordon’s buffers? To here Gordon it’s because he is the most important engine. I do wonder if it was an early illustration to differentiate him from other engines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9793 said:

Ha, no!

It was when a Class 40 arrived in 1962/1963 and was rather rude about the engines.

53CB1C41-9BD4-41E6-88F8-DC57B457A633.png.7a6b3927b0da7f1e77683869057e8eb2.png

Gordon’s buffers? To here Gordon it’s because he is the most important engine. I do wonder if it was an early illustration to differentiate him from other engines.

Hi Folks,

That class 40 has a strange number D471 is somewhat past the last of the class, D399, even the clas 50's stopped at D449.

Gibbo.