1 hour ago, 9793 said:

Some more interesting photos of the Block Oil trains from Heysham. 

Type 2 and 9F near Carnforth

67 205 170667 Hest Bank 45072 and 92024

Something I am wondering about. The Headcodes. The train looks to be fitted, yet the loco is showing a Class F 'Express Unfitted' (I've seen others like this). However I have also seen these trains showing a Class C head code. Any idea on the reason for difference in what looks to be a fitted train. 

Both these trains seem to be conveying light-coloured tanks; diesel?

13 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

That's a fair point, although I had presumed it was diesel as they are I believe the same as this train 'Heysham-Neville Hill'. Plus no barrier wagon.

D5172/45134 Bolton le Sands 10.7.68

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, 9793 said:

Ah Steamtown.... I have very fond memories of that place!

Yours truly circa 1989 with Furness 25 masquerading as Sodor's No 6!

IMG_0455.jpg.2bb371cd30f2a1b9e44e11245a8357ba.jpg

Hi Tom,

At the age you were in the photograph you would NOT have been granted access to the Black Hut, visible above the buffer beam.

The reason being because its interior had been pretty much wall-papered with images of the glamour model Louise Hodges in various interesting poses, some including what may be termed a banker for rear ended assistance shall we say !

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Another photo of interest.

D5182/92088 Hest Bank 10.7.68

I've noted in my new book that arrived today (Shed by Shed Part 7 'Diesel and Electric Locomotives') that Carnforth had a Class 25 on it's books between 1967-1968.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 9793 said:

Another photo of interest.

D5182/92088 Hest Bank 10.7.68

I've noted in my new book that arrived today (Shed by Shed Part 7 'Diesel and Electric Locomotives') that Carnforth had a Class 25 on it's books between 1967-1968.

Something that recent photos highlight is that there is no need to worry too much about having the correct four-character headcodes on your diesels.

• Agree 1

Generally, I wont be running locos with faces. However, I did want to see how they will look with the 'illustration' type faces, as that is the feeling I want my models to depict of Awdry's Sodor.

So here is Oliver, with a face edited/photoshopped from the books.

DSC05881_(1).jpg.eba2452923511579c76e067de884c7d6.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. While I understand the desire for the illustration look I'm not sure about the illustration style. To me it looks slightly out of place because of the realism of rest of the model. Though how you should go about portraying a realistic loco face I have no idea!

But I'm loving the journey and eager to see where it ends up!

Kind regards,  Neil 

• Like 2

NWR 1436 'Oliver' rumbles along the Little Western with coal wagons for Arlesburgh.... well not quiet, but he looks at home on Cwm Prysor!

DSC05898_(1).jpg.b0f0add5dccd28becae6a943c263b5a5.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, 9793 said:

NWR 1436 'Oliver' rumbles along the Little Western with coal wagons for Arlesburgh.... well not quiet, but he looks at home on Cwm Prysor!

DSC05898_(1).jpg.b0f0add5dccd28becae6a943c263b5a5.jpg

Tom, that photo is just superb! To me it really does feel like the Little Western. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

Tom, that photo is just superb! To me it really does feel like the Little Western. 

Thanks Neil!
As a single line branch, it can be got away with I think! technically we are in the Welsh mountains.....but it's passable! ;)

Regarding the NWR layout.... the boards for Tidmouth Yards should be here by the the end of the week! Time to get the wood glue out methinks! 

• RMweb Premium

That wagon behind Oliver should be careful looks like rotten wood and rusty frames he might find himself pulled apart if he tries any tricks. A superb photo I really could imagine that being a part of the little western line running along the coast. On the subject of the little western, have you any plans for the Scottish twins? I assume the upcoming rails models will be ideal candidates to represent them.

Jimmy

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Boco_D1 said:

That wagon behind Oliver should be careful looks like rotten wood and rusty frames he might find himself pulled apart if he tries any tricks. A superb photo I really could imagine that being a part of the little western line running along the coast. On the subject of the little western, have you any plans for the Scottish twins? I assume the upcoming rails models will be ideal candidates to represent them.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy 

Scottish Twins as your rightly suspect will be sourced from the Rails model. I haven't decided which versions to go with and I'm waiting to pre order once the first EP samples appear.

The beauty of moving the location to Tidmouth Yards for the layout has meant it's opened the doors to pretty much all the familiar motive power we are use to seeing in the books, plus recent research with @BritishGypsum4 has also shown the BR motive power which had running rights onto Sodor (3F/4F/Patriot/RoyalScot/8F/Jubilees) plus (25/28/3740/46).

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Premium

Sounds excellent I did always wonder how the fat controller managed to run his railway with only handful of locos (bearing in mind how often one would be out of action due to a mishap and the size of the railway). As your going for the engines we see in the books will this include the engines seen in the shed in the three railway engines? I can’t remember where I read it but the red one (also seen trying to push Henry) was Called Eagle and worked the branch line from Vicarstown but the other two blue ones where sent away for being naughty.

8 minutes ago, Boco_D1 said:

Sounds excellent I did always wonder how the fat controller managed to run his railway with only handful of locos (bearing in mind how often one would be out of action due to a mishap and the size of the railway). As your going for the engines we see in the books will this include the engines seen in the shed in the three railway engines? I can’t remember where I read it but the red one (also seen trying to push Henry) was Called Eagle and worked the branch line from Vicarstown but the other two blue ones where sent away for being naughty.

Eagle was created by a friend of mine in the Sodor Island Forums 'Extended Railway Series'.
However, I'm only modelling between 1957-1969 (as it covers my favourite books), so non off the visiting engines from the first books. I am planning to depict engines allocated to Barrow, Carnforth, Preston, Crewe etc after researching BR/Awdry workings. Class 46 D199 will be a must! :)

• RMweb Premium

I always liked D199 despite his grumpy ways, one of my first models was a Bachmann 46 so always had a soft spot and was desperate to see him in the TV series especially after ERTL made a model of him. Looking at your chosen time period it’s great time for visiting locos and rail tours Edward’s Excursion, double tender Scotsman and Stepney (it’s a shame Hornby’s model is the original build of Stepney, although still a lovely model I would have preferred a Stepney in his Rebuilt guise, I’m planning a rail tour for my own 90s layout with a rake of MK1s being hauled by a terrier and Pannier tank that might look a little familiar to those with the knowledge)

Currently reading up on Parcel traffic and wagons beyond my normal modelling period.

DAB08D74-1C7E-4560-9E69-5021E2B92988.jpeg.873fc7fc9effbdaf85774f4b43c0f5be.jpeg

Parcel traffic I’m finding fascinating. I have a couple of BGs to hand and a Southern BY, Ive just ordered a kit for a Thompson BZ! 

Edited by 9793
  • Like 5

Routing through the stock box. The first two items of parcel stock for Tidmouth (and as this BR stock, any future layout).

IMG_4433.jpg.bc683c30eedabdb8471ba55287265d90.jpg

Not felt great this evening (nearly two years since Dad died, and essentially I've felt rather lonely). So I took myself off to the workbench and I've made up 12 (6 pairs) of masokit screwlink couplings. I tend to always end up running short and having to make them up on the spot.

EAWl2asWwAAAHoG.jpg.89c86602dbbdf035730ae950cdc3c86e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

The boards have arrived. About to head out and get the timber for the legs (the leg pack only includes the laser cut bracing).

IMG_4435.jpg.833c86b1dcb481a99a8808c5ef899e54.jpg

Should keep me busy for the next few weeks!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Returned from the local timber merchants with 12 '34mm x 34mm' 1200mm for the 6 legs for the layout. The leg kits from Grainge & Hodder (and the boards them selves) do not include the wood legs themselves (just the laser cut bracing). 

(ignore the other crap on the back seat :lol: )

IMG_4438.jpg.49c28d66cef508357595e2faeb9d12a8.jpg

I also called into screwfix before the heavens opened to pick up the required coach bolts and wing nuts.

IMG_4439.jpg.6010f16eb9b18ceedcde929481b4c4b0.jpg

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Nick C said:

I thought of this thread this morning, while involved in a spot of shunting, as a certain blue engine was making itself useful...

IMG_20190725_125043813_HDR.jpg.031f6e956aba4c4cd77b3c1b09e6267c.jpg

Well he is, after all, a really useful engine...

When removing glazing....don't push from the wrong side!
67357160_2340994366015909_266241977547227136_n.png.869efb6f6d115c8a7b09479d2cd57cdb.png

I was changing the head code on my Class 35....mulled it! :( 

Went to order spares from Howes....out of stock.

Any idea if the head code box is included on the Shawplan laser glaze set?

• Like 2

I'm currently have a little look into Crane's since having a further look at this illustration from book 25.

67680904_342289340016259_2014715608901353472_n.png.93d8593ce3be30841cdffe91a3c9bdfb.png

@Gibbo675 might the person to ask.

I'm looking for a fair representation, doesn't need to be 100% accurate...more passable as it trundles through the yard. Would the Hornby Dublo model me acceptable (as opposed to the triang model?). I'm not after a massive project, just a fairly simple re wheeling....at most respray job if need be. If it's a big job, I'll possibly leave it for now.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 3

Looks to me as if the artist drew an HD crane body (or worked from a photo of a similar type), but underscale compared with the rest of the scene, and plonked it on a Triang Transcontinental bogie wagon, masking the join with a tarpaulin.

Even if i’ve Misread that, and the crane is actually a separate vehicle on another track, the proportions aren’t quite right IMO; the jib looks too small.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1