2 hours ago, Aire Head said:

So based off the available images of Tidmouth it appears as though the shed is on the opposite side of the station to the docks and the Arlesburgh branch. The yard appears to have no particular fixed location. The station itself seems to have anywhere between 1 and 3 roof sections.

I do love the railways series but as expressed earlier I really wish the artists had been consistent! :jester:

Apologies to Tom if I'm taking this off topic!

Nothing to apologies for, it's all good research! :)

First bit of my own modelling I've done in ages (I've bee beavering away on weathering commissions). NWR No 6 'Percy' just requires 'brass' paint for the dome, safety valves and spectacle plates before it's lining out time!

• Like 9

I'm loving this thread!

How many of the roster are you going to try and create? Would the likes of Stepney or the 'one off' diesels like old stuck up make a cameo?

Luke

Edited by Luke123

2 hours ago, Luke123 said:

I'm loving this thread!

How many of the roster are you going to try and create? Would the likes of Stepney or the 'one off' diesels like old stuck up make a cameo?

Luke

Many Thanks!

It is something I'm looking into in due course. My priority is the NWR locos (primarily No 3,4,5,6,8,9,10 & 11 plus D2 and D3). Five of these are already catered with a sixth donor model at the ready. I do intend to focus then on BR locos working over NWR metals (the likes of 3Fs and 4Fs from Barrow in Furness, plus larger locos like Patriots and Britannia's from the Manchester area).

I would love to depict Stepney, but that would all depend on if and when Hornby produce a model of the loco in early 1960s condition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom F said:

I do intend to focus then on BR locos working over NWR metals (the likes of 3Fs and 4Fs from Barrow in Furness, plus larger locos like Patriots and Britannia's from the Manchester area).

So had some thoughts on this and likely appearances.

So passenger wise I am aware of two named services.

The Wild Nor'Wester and The Limited.

We know the Wild Nor'Wester terminates at St Pancreas. So my imagination is the route once it reaches the mainland is from Barrow to Carnforth, over the aptly named "Little North Western" to Hellifield and then onto Leeds and eventually St Pancreas. This could mean Holbeck allocated locomotives making an appearance such as a Jubilee or even an A3!

The Limited we don't know very much about and we have only seen it hauled by D7101/D3/Bear. I'm tempted to read between the lines on this and say perhaps this is the same express hauled by the Patriot. As such I'd portray this as likely heading towards Manchester and then down the WCML to Euston which allows for Patriots/Scots and perhaps even Coronations etc.

Also depicted are passenger trains from the other railway that appear to be more local services, perhaps allowing some ex LMS 2-6-4 Tanks to make an appearance? Which should stand out a bit in comparison to the NWR locomotives.

Freight wise we know that other railway locomotives are used relatively frequently on these turns.

We know that in 1968 there was an Oil train travelling the mainline. From earlier conversations this was suggested that it could come from Heysham to Tidmouth loaded and return empty. Such trains in the period depicted would tend to attract some large attracted powerful locomotives. I certainly know that the Tees-Heysham which travelled my area of modelling interest frequently tended to be 9F/8F hauled although J39s also made an appearance. Once Diesel power got a grip of these workings Class 25s/37s with a brake tender also became common.

All coal to Sodor is imported so the characteristic rake of 16t minerals would certainly make an appearance. Depending on where they were coming from 4Fs/Crabs/8Fs would be a likely candidate.

Just a couple of ideas for starters :dontknow:

45 minutes ago, russ p said:

I assume the early books were actually modern image at the time of writing,  what year will the layout be set?

Through my favourite period of books, 1957-1969

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aire Head said:

So had some thoughts on this and likely appearances.

So passenger wise I am aware of two named services.

The Wild Nor'Wester and The Limited.

Actually there is another.... 'The Sudrian'

Awdry referenced it in an old Railway Modeller article and it was part of the documentation for operating his layout. Thanks to @ExplosiveCookie for allowing me to share this. He was able to photograph Awdry's documentation in the 'Awdry Study' at the Talyllyn. The 'Sudrian' ran to Euston and on alternate days to Plymouth.

69469813_2452228004863280_3339752198409027584_n.jpg.fce37c4d1bd4b33eee7272b126745342.jpg

Wild Nor' Wester was St Pancras as you say. I prefer to think the Wild Nor Wester made for Manchester and then got itself onto the Midland Main Line. My only thoughts for this, are the fact Awdry documents the Flying Kipper was a Tidmouth-Manchester service, so I just see it as a way that the NWR was able to serve Manchester with the Express, seen as Awdry referenced it for another service. Little North Western also works though....it's all guess work. :)

Freight wise, we are definitely on the same page of thought. Coal I see being the biggest import for the NWR and there would be plenty of 16Ts kicking around. Where exactly the coal is coming from is a good point, but with the cumbrian coast coal fields being close by, myself and @BritishGypsum4 and I had wondered if that may have been the source.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Actually there is another.... 'The Sudrian'

Awdry referenced it in an old Railway Modeller article and it was part of the documentation for operating his layout. Thanks to @ExplosiveCookie for allowing me to share this. He was able to photograph Awdry's documentation in the 'Awdry Study' at the Talyllyn. The 'Sudrian' ran to Euston and on alternate days to Plymouth.

69469813_2452228004863280_3339752198409027584_n.jpg.fce37c4d1bd4b33eee7272b126745342.jpg

Wild Nor' Wester was St Pancras as you say. I prefer to think the Wild Nor Wester made for Manchester and then got itself onto the Midland Main Line. My only thoughts for this, are the fact Awdry documents the Flying Kipper was a Tidmouth-Manchester service, so I just see it as a way that the NWR was able to serve Manchester with the Express, seen as Awdry referenced it for another service. Little North Western also works though....it's all guess work. :)

Freight wise, we are definitely on the same page of thought. Coal I see being the biggest import for the NWR and there would be plenty of 16Ts kicking around. Where exactly the coal is coming from is a good point, but with the cumbrian coast coal fields being close by, myself and @BritishGypsum4 and I had wondered if that may have been the source.

I'm of the thought that the Limited or the Suderian would be easily able to service Manchester. The Little North Western provides easy access into Yorkshire and it's major population and industrial centres which I would imagine the North Western would be keen to tap into.

Coalwise the NWR has quite a range of choice in either the Cumbrian and Lancashire coal fields or even the Yorkshire ones at a push.

Imports I'd expect that a lot of the engineering equipment would need to be brought from the mainland.

Textiles would most likely need importing too (Manchester, Bradford etc)

Memory escapes me as to fruit traffic being mention but also a possibility.

30 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Reading the image you have attached The Suderian could terminate at Barrow as it mentions through Coaches to Euston etc so it's possible that these are attached to a different train at Barrow? :dontknow:

Or the through coaches are attached to a different train at Manchester given that Sodor seems to be linked to Manchester anyhow. Barrow a possibility as the story of Gordon Goes Foreign it is meant to be Barrow depicted in the illustrations. However that might be just one of the un-named expresses that continue onwards.

Textiles are covered in the book Island of Sodor and it mentions that there are textile mills on the Island so maybe one of the export traffic off the island?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

Textiles are covered in the book Island of Sodor and it mentions that there are textile mills on the Island so maybe one of the export traffic off the island?

Plenty of scope for a lot of van and parcels traffic then.

A lot of quarrying also take place so a lot of potential for that to be depicted.

Any other industries that could be covered?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom F said:

Where exactly the coal is coming from is a good point, but with the cumbrian coast coal fields being close by

12 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Coalwise the NWR has quite a range of choice in either the Cumbrian and Lancashire coal fields or even the Yorkshire ones at a push.

Depending on your time period (i'm not too familiar with the timings of specific events in the books) you could have some wagons from Wales too to bring the coal used for No. 3 'Henry' before the Flying Kipper crash and rebuild.

43 minutes ago, Luke123 said:

Depending on your time period (i'm not too familiar with the timings of specific events in the books) you could have some wagons from Wales too to bring the coal used for No. 3 'Henry' before the Flying Kipper crash and rebuild.

Interesting idea, although in my period Henry is post rebuild. I'm modelling 1957-1969 which covers the period of book 12 'The Eight Famous Engines' through to Book 24 'Oliver the Western Engine'.

Once Percy is finished, I intend to start work on NWR No 5! With this in mind, one of my favourite illustrations. James at Tidmouth Station after being stung by a Bee!

IMG_0542.jpg.739ddc80c9e88c0e15e6a949b3ce85f9.jpg

I like the fact the coach behind James looks to be a Van of some sort...possibly a BG or BZ (there are certainly less windows). Nice little added detail. Coaches are in NWR Brown livery, so North Western stock. The coach in platform 5 looks to be maroon (the year is 1965/1966).

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Once Percy is finished, I intend to start work on NWR No 5! With this in mind, one of my favourite illustrations. James at Tidmouth Station after being stung by a Bee!

I like the fact the coach behind James looks to be a Van of some sort...possibly a BG or BZ (there are certainly less windows). Nice little added detail. Coaches are in NWR Brown livery, so North Western stock. The coach in platform 5 looks to be maroon (the year is 1965/1966).

Looks like period 3 style stock

7 hours ago, Tom F said:

Hi Tom,

Tidmouth looks very like Manchester Central in that picture with just one overall roof, also the van behind the tender looks to be quite short, could it be a Stove R six wheel type contraption ?

Gibbo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Tom,

Tidmouth looks very like Manchester Central in that picture with just one overall roof, also the van behind the tender looks to be quite short, could it be a Stove R six wheel type contraption ?

Gibbo.

Thanks Gibbo!

I have to say I do like the single overall roof, and as you say it does look very 'Manchester Central'. All illustrations show two spans from the exterior...however Awdry keeps it ambitious in IOS simply stating.

1301991949_Screenshot2019-08-29at18_57_29.png.3a7fa25ca26604ed79fe9336406221f7.png

All interior illustrations from the late Awdry period and those illustrated by Peter Edwards, show the single span. Here is another favourite from the same book of Edward and Gordon.

IMG_0544.jpg.d0d5619bda80994510ce1c735d6712e1.jpg

A Stove would work nicely and I agree regarding it looking short. I have a Thompson BZ to build in due course (all good parcel stock!) I'm also noticing a two tone brown colour scheme! Looks like something I need to see about sourcing!

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Csalem said:

I wonder where the footbridge is going in the image of Gordon and Edward?

Wasn't there one like that at King's Cross? Or perhaps it was inspired by the Metro line at Gare d'Austerlitz, which crosses the concourse on a bridge at ninety degrees to the platforms.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Kings Cross, Paddington, and several other places too.

If you want to model Tidmouth station, you could probably start with a Trix Manyways overall roof, and go on to a Hornby Dublo terminus, which is what I suspect the artists might have done.

Easy to forget that the illustrations were inspired by an amalgam of real things and model things. I'm a fan of the Dalby ones specifically because they look like toy train sets!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The ones in the London termini have steps down to the platform. This one does not appear to. 

If the station was Vicarstown and accepted there was a double barrel roof, rather than a single one, I could image the other half of the station was the BR part and it provided quick access to there from the station building. But of course it is meant to be Tidmouth. 

We will just have to use our imaginations :)

Reading a couple of books that have arrived in the last couple of days.

EDQBAN_XkAEqDHN.jpg.d28ea77ec4a473c415b38b38ea5b5cfd.jpg

I have had the one on LNER sheds for a few years, but some of the designs have made me tweak my Tidmouth plan. Some of the Southern Coaling designs are quite reminiscent of what appears in the Tidmouth illustrations.

IMG_5023.jpg.f05e3c9e0d816adf4b8993fd5f9c6192.jpg

IMG_5020.jpg.49cd14fd4ed47f89ecaa36890c0db318.jpg

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 7