• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

Daisy is officially a special modification of a 101 into a Bubble car or a new one off build from a 101 basis.  Unsure where you get the other class from.

Quite easy to convert a 101 to a 79xxx I started doing it several years ago on a real one.

Main difference is valence under buffers and high level but slightly smaller jumper sockets 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, russ p said:

Remember daisy isn't a 101 but a single car 79xxx you never get to see what should be a brake van end

Incidentally are any of the diesels two faced or do we always just see one

Interesting questions since the mountain engines are all two faced.

I spent some time creating Culdee Godred and Lord Harry from the Ertl die cast range on N gauge chassis for my Mum this year since she always wanted to have a railway; narrow gauge with purple engines. She now has the engines - the railway is up to her.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, WD0-6-0 said:

Hi Tom

I only discovered this thread this morning and intend to read it cover to cover as it ties perfectly with ideas I've had of my own for a number of years! I love to see realistic Sudrian modelling!

I don't wish to hijack your thread (and apologies if this has been raised before or if I'm going to far OT) but I have a question for you.
It's made clear not only in the stories but the source books too, that members of the Hatt family are very shrewd business men who have a distinct preference for steam locomotives. Do you think that in steams final days, Sir Topham (as controller of the North Western Region) might have seen the decline of steam and taken the opportunity to request the transfer of a number of the BR standard locomotives to supplement his, by now well aged, fleet? This provides a selection of young, modern and less labour intensive steam locomotives, saves them from the now obvious fate of scrapping and delays any major influx of diesels for several more years.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your layout and more of your North Western locomotives!

Thanks
Rhys

The closest engines to this idea would be Oliver, the 14XX auto tank who ran away from BR and got rescued by Douglas, and an engine who never got a book, Barry. He was supposed to be an engine left in Barry Scrapyard and restored by the 3rd Fat Controller. That book got axed in favor of more stories about Thomas and the more well known characters.

• RMweb Premium

I believe Barry was meant to be a standard 2mt tender engine.

And the large diesel’s do indeed have faces at both ends, I can’t remember the source but I think it was in one of Christopher Awdry’s Books about Sodor.

38 minutes ago, Boco_D1 said:

I believe Barry was meant to be a standard 2mt tender engine.

And the large diesel’s do indeed have faces at both ends, I can’t remember the source but I think it was in one of Christopher Awdry’s Books about Sodor.

There was also suggestion of an Austerity Tank in addition to Barry

• Like 1

Ffarquhar track plan pretty much finalised. It’s interesting how the shed designs are very similar to Wisbech which is no coincidence I’m sure!

There are certain features I’ll be taking inspiration from (the coaling arrangement for example).

BB496852-3E6B-47F9-B27D-76F2C3529B22.jpeg.dedc2ab80102334b19c12308ef5fbd68.jpeg

8AB87641-E48A-4766-B2D9-1EC3A435CC4F.jpeg.a857ef3dc6f9219c9fc12b1d07fa193f.jpeg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Ffarquhar track plan pretty much finalised. It’s interesting how the shed designs are very similar to Wisbech which is no coincidence I’m sure!

There are certain features I’ll be taking inspiration from (the coaling arrangement for example).

So is the plan to get the sheds, station and goods yard in?

25 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

So is the plan to get the sheds, station and goods yard in?

Yep, should fit relatively easily! Also, Ffarqhuar according to Awdry had Two Goods sheds, @BritishGypsum4 and @ExplosiveCookie have sorted of worked out where the second one is (and is smaller).

I’ll also have the Stone Transfer Yard along with the line to the quarry going off beyond the station masters house. 

One of the fiddle yard traversers will now be fixed and made to scenically represent the Anopha Quarry sidings.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Yep, should fit relatively easily! Also, Ffarqhuar according to Awdry had Two Goods sheds, @BritishGypsum4 and @ExplosiveCookie have sorted of worked out where the second one is (and is smaller).

I’ll also have the Stone Transfer Yard along with the line to the quarry going off beyond the station masters house. 

One of the fiddle yard traversers will now be fixed and made to scenically represent the Anopha Quarry sidings.

So will we be seeing Mavis aswell?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Aire Head said:

So will we be seeing Mavis aswell?

Yes at some point. Mavis is going to be tricky as the Bachmann Cab is not correct on the 04 for Mavis, and would require fabrication of side plates and cow catchers.

I plan to depict the Quarry siding as seen in both Book 16 and Book 26.

IMG_0660.jpg.10c9add40c7f4d972a93239d548a59db.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg.97f2d258426777576c9eb4fd6f78cba6.jpg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Yes at some point. Mavis is going to be tricky as the Bachmann Cab is not correct on the 04 for Mavis, and would require fabrication of side plates and cow catchers.

I plan to depict the Quarry siding as seen in both Book 16 and Book 26.

IMG_0660.jpg.10c9add40c7f4d972a93239d548a59db.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg.97f2d258426777576c9eb4fd6f78cba6.jpg

The Bachmann Mavis might be a possible contender, an article was done recently in model rail (?) showing the conversion to 04.

Just now, Paul_sterling said:

The Bachmann Mavis might be a possible contender, an article was done recently in model rail (?) showing the conversion to 04.

Thank you Paul, I'll look that up!

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Tom F said:

Just looking at these pics again and noticing things that were completely lost to me as a child . Isnt it interesting that for a "kids" book the engine shed was clearly a two track stone structure then extended with a third track brick extension . Who would have though of incorporating that amount of detail in the illustration  ?   It forms no part of the stories as far as I'm aware.   Was it based on a location and the illustrator copied it?  Its these details that I now love about the Railway Series .

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Just looking at these pics again and noticing things that were completely lost to me as a child . Isnt it interesting that for a "kids" book the engine shed was clearly a two track stone structure then extended with a third track brick extension . Who would have though of incorporating that amount of detail in the illustration  ?   It forms no part of the stories as far as I'm aware.   Was it based on a location and the illustrator copied it?  Its these details that I now love about the Railway Series .

Originally it was Thomas and Toby operating the line, Percy came later. So it's possible the extension was built to accommodate the extra engine - later books in the series also show a further extension for Daisy and the coaches. I've always admired the RWS consistency in this regard.

image.png.5dbb134141c7edeb810789708e0f59fc.png

• Like 4

Hi Tom,

I've been reading through the thread (in addition to posting), Re. Annie and Clarabel, I'm working on a layout for my son, and I've used a couple of the Farish OO LNER teaks for the coaches. The bogies may need to be changed to something more running friendly (or even just the wheels), but they do mostly capture the look of the two coaches. 

49085382717_726e720670_b.jpgIMG_20191102_133435[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

Cheers, Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul_sterling said:

Hi Tom,

I've been reading through the thread (in addition to posting), Re. Annie and Clarabel, I'm working on a layout for my son, and I've used a couple of the Farish OO LNER teaks for the coaches. The bogies may need to be changed to something more running friendly (or even just the wheels), but they do mostly capture the look of the two coaches. 

49085382717_726e720670_b.jpgIMG_20191102_133435[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

Cheers, Paul. 

Did Grafar ever do the non Corridor versions? I'm sure they did I've just never seen them!