15 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Did Grafar ever do the non Corridor versions? I'm sure they did I've just never seen them!

One of those two is non corridor, the brake coach however has something resembling a corridor connection. Both are RTR and I took them out of the packaging for the first time. Delightful little coaches for what they are. 

Cheers. Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 1

Yes, they did. I'll dig out a catalogue tomorrow for the numbers, but in ther meantime the non-corridor brake in 'teak' is the second down in the RH column here.

All four types were available in LMS. LNER. GWR and SR livery. I think they later did BR livery too, but I need to check on that.

The last Graham Farish 00 catalogue seems to be 1978 (in fact more a fold-out leaflet than a proper catalogue). Anyway, the reference numbers for the LNER livery non-corridor coaches are 10602 for the 'composite' and 10612 for the brake. The LNER livery corridor coaches are 10622 for the 'composite' and 10632 for the brake, so those on the layout are ref. 10602 and 10632.

They did do BR livery for the non-corridor coaches, lined crimson, but not the corridor ones.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Once again, I'm late to the party on a RWS thread. 

Very nice work here, Tom. I do love seeing others give their interpretations of Sodor. I do have one question though. If you're now modelling the Ffarquhar branch, will you still be making the rest of the NWR roster? 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
Spelling. Seriously, what does "I do hands one question" even mean?

5 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Once again, I'm late to the party on a RWS thread. 

Very nice work here, Tom. I do love seeing others give their interpretations of Sodor. I do hands one question though. If you're now modelling the Ffarquhar branch, will you still be making the rest of the NWR roster? 

Many Thanks!

Regarding the rest of the NWR roster....one day probably. Primarily the focus is NWR 1 (Hope to start the pre 1961 version over the Christmas) NWR No 6 and NWR No 7) which will be designed to operate the branch circa 1959.

I then intend to add D1 'Daisy' and Ffarquhar Quarry Company's Drewry Diesel shunter, Mavis (which would move me into operating the layout post 1961).

@BritishGypsum4is currently beavering away on a 'Working Timetable'/Operating Sequence.

Fairly newly preserved A1X 'Stepney' visited the Ffarquhar Branch in 1962.

IMG_0779.jpeg.198d13fb6f8e70484e2b9a41043bde8e.jpeg

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Fair. You have a Terence, Bertie and Harold?

I actually have a Harold on order ready for repainting.
IMG_6586.jpeg.9f404e6cc7ea2c46123a0c6ea2cb6034.jpeg

Bertie I believe is based on a AEC Regal T Class, but I wonder looking at the illustrations, if he is of a slightly later 1940s design?

I'm looking into a 1:76 design for Terrence.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Tom F said:

Bertie I believe is based on a AEC Regal T Class

According to the wiki that seems to be the case.

49 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Terrence is a Caterpillar 60, if I remember correctly.

According to the wiki as well, apparently he's a Cat 70.

On 12/11/2019 at 09:36, Corbs said:

I think I was in the same boat as you, Tom. My original layout was to have been Tidmouth Sheds too, but I found that operationally it served little function other than a diorama where locos shuffled in and out.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be. If as with the OP's plan, you model the main lines passing the shed, then the left hand fiddle yard effectively becomes Tidmouth station and a loco comes off shed, runs into the station, and a few minutes later passes on the main line at the head of a train. Likewise you also have opportunity to have a station piot shunting carriages from one platform to another. 

A couple of thoughts though - in the illustrations earlier in this thread, the turntable is nowhere to be seen, yet other illustrations in the books show all the locos crowded round one - is it the other side of the coaling stage? Also, in the illustrations all the locos appear to be facing out of the shed. Surely they should be facing into the shed, in order to back on to passenger trains in the station....

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

It wouldn't necessarily have to be. If as with the OP's plan, you model the main lines passing the shed, then the left hand fiddle yard effectively becomes Tidmouth station and a loco comes off shed, runs into the station, and a few minutes later passes on the main line at the head of a train. Likewise you also have opportunity to have a station piot shunting carriages from one platform to another. 

A couple of thoughts though - in the illustrations earlier in this thread, the turntable is nowhere to be seen, yet other illustrations in the books show all the locos crowded round one - is it the other side of the coaling stage? Also, in the illustrations all the locos appear to be facing out of the shed. Surely they should be facing into the shed, in order to back on to passenger trains in the station....

Wilbert Awdry retconned the whole turntable at Tidmouth in 1984 'Thomas's Christmas Party'. In 1954 the large roundhouse was built which is seen in most of Christopher Awdry's books.

• Like 1