• RMweb Premium

Re. the St Pancras train, I'm confident this ran via Leeds, providing connections from Sodor to the West Riding and north east. What I think escaped Awdry's original research into the history of the Sudrian railways - since it is only research in recent years that has really brought it to light - is the context of the Midland drive for a competitive route to Ulster. There had been attempts in the 1880s to absorb the Furness - the defeat of which led to the development of Heysham - and of course the take over of the B&NCR in 1903. One can easily see the NWR as an apparently local line that is actually a Derby proxy, like the M&SWJR* - the Midland's line to Southampton. I'm sure that if one digs more deeply into the NWR files in the National Archives one will find evidence of Midland loans for line improvements. Of course by the time period of the RWS, this is all ancient history, such Midland ambitions having been overtaken by the Great War and grouping. But the train service still retains a vestigial trace.

*Or even the G&SWR...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4

The current plan. Moving the ash pits on to the coal road has free’d up space in the centre area. This in turn makes the NWR main line more centralised, allowing sidings along the front for shunting.

D88A4854-35CC-4235-9D95-9AC49ACD46B0.jpeg.bf2baffa61885e2d8a1990054d5a092f.jpeg

It feels like a ticks all my operational interests.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, PatB said:

Isn't there a station somewhere in the UK with an elevated walkway that carries a public right of way through the trainshed? Or did I dream that? 

Could you be thinking of Edinburgh Waverley?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/traffic-and-travel/call-to-restore-historic-footbridge-over-waverley-station-roof-1-4714025

• Like 1

LNER 5 plank goods open being used for loco coal by the Southern?  There'll be a stiff memo flying over the river.

Saw this today at the Yorkshire Traction Engine Rally.   Just in case you think you ought to have one.

100-1967-small.jpg

100-1968-small.jpg

Edit - In answer to Pat B's question, Sheffield (there was controversy when they wanted to put ticket barriers in) and also York, I believe.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

LNER 5 plank goods open being used for loco coal by the Southern?  There'll be a stiff memo flying over the river.

Saw this today at the Yorkshire Traction Engine Rally.   Just in case you think you ought to have one.

Nice looking engine there JW! Fully approve of the branding! 

Edited by Tom F

"LNER 5 plank goods open being used for loco coal by the Southern?  There'll be a stiff memo flying over the river."

Lots of photos of coal stages show seemingly random 5-plankers up on them, and I've wondered why. Was there a need for "spacer wagons" to get the coal wagons aligned for unloading, or something?

The other wagon in that SR shot looks like an SC one, Stephenson Clarke, coal shippers and coal factors, being the SR loco-coal supply contractor.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

From memory, fickle and unreliable though mine is these days, the one I'm thinking of was still in use in the last decade or so. That Edinburgh Waverley had something similar too is very interesting as I'd previously assumed it to be unique. 

4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

100-1967-small.jpg

100-1968-small.jpg

Edit - In answer to Pat B's question, Sheffield (there was controversy when they wanted to put ticket barriers in) and also York, I believe.

The example I'm thinking of had no access to the platforms, so I can't see why it would get ticket barriers. Consequently I think York must be the one. 

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, PatB said:

From memory, fickle and unreliable though mine is these days, the one I'm thinking of was still in use in the last decade or so. That Edinburgh Waverley had something similar too is very interesting as I'd previously assumed it to be unique. 

The example I'm thinking of had no access to the platforms, so I can't see why it would get ticket barriers. Consequently I think York must be the one. 

Not York. That starts on the platform at one end (other end exits the station) and has access to/from all the others. Newcastle has an under the roof bridge but is all within station and platform limits.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2019 at 10:16, Compound2632 said:

Re. the St Pancras train, I'm confident this ran via Leeds, providing connections from Sodor to the West Riding and north east. What I think escaped Awdry's original research into the history of the Sudrian railways - since it is only research in recent years that has really brought it to light - is the context of the Midland drive for a competitive route to Ulster. There had been attempts in the 1880s to absorb the Furness - the defeat of which led to the development of Heysham - and of course the take over of the B&NCR in 1903. One can easily see the NWR as an apparently local line that is actually a Derby proxy, like the M&SWJR* - the Midland's line to Southampton. I'm sure that if one digs more deeply into the NWR files in the National Archives one will find evidence of Midland loans for line improvements. Of course by the time period of the RWS, this is all ancient history, such Midland ambitions having been overtaken by the Great War and grouping. But the train service still retains a vestigial trace.

*Or even the G&SWR...

The NWR was built using locos from the Furness railway and the Midland Railway. Topham Hatt has a fondness for fowler tenders bordering on the obsessive make of that what you will!

• Agree 1

My favourite Tidmouth Station illustration (just scanned from my 1960 first edition of 'The Twin Engines').

IMG_0556.jpg.7f92ae3f9f62a3edf7e5d530d3907fcc.jpg

Regarding canopy or canopies...I always use to think it was two, but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that 'both are correct'. All interior illustrations show a single span, and Awdry keeps it ambiguous (intentionally perhaps).

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

27 minutes ago, Tom F said:

My favourite Tidmouth Station illustration (just scanned from my 1960 first edition of 'The Twin Engines').

Regarding canopy or canopies...I always use to think it was two, but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that 'both are correct'. All interior illustrations show a single span, and Awdry keeps it ambiguous (intentionally perhaps).

Hi Tom,

I like the way the centrally placed figure is lighting up and that of the two other fellas shewing tickets one is also a cigarette smoker and the the other smokes a pipe !

The station canopy is of the Bradford exchange style though.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Tom F said:

I have always liked that image too. Gives a real sense of "rush-hour" on Sodor.

However, I could never understand why James' platform was curved, or angled away from the other platform.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Csalem said:

I have always liked that image too. Gives a real sense of "rush-hour" on Sodor.

However, I could never understand why James' platform was curved, or angled away from the other platform.

I've always assumed it's exaggerated perspective causing that visual effect. 

• Agree 3

More tweaking of my plan, and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Tidmouth.png.936fb2e57e0cb0daeeb5c02ffbab88e0.png
I've allowed access now from both up and down main lines into the sidings. I'm drawing inspiration from these illustrations from 'The Twin Engines', which although shownthere isn't any lines between the shed  and the yard lines, we do at least see coal sidings near the sheds. I do however like the main line intersecting between the sidings and the sheds visually.

IMG_0559.jpg.fb6e1f50c085db58612701ce280f8413.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg.5a168b1bcf6d94b12b4fd48201d31949.jpg

I want to make sure the yard movements are prototypical. To the right the sidings go off to my traverser, which will allow for running around via the traverser itself.

In my opinion, Duck and Donald are on these sidings I'm modelling at the front of the layout, Douglas is on the main line and the engine sheds would be to the left out of shot.

IMG_0565_(1).jpg.e0cc9671e31bec63264ab58b09d55c83.jpg

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1