5 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Neat.   Is the van an LMS diagram?   I know sliding doors were unusual. 

No, the van is an LNER diagram 16 (I think). 9ft Wheelbase, but has a body similar to the Vac fitted dia 94 (which I built a kit of from the Parkside range some years ago).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.  I stumbled upon this thread today from the internets as I was researching a bit on a model railway based upon the Isle of Sodor background.  I find this very interesting and have a few times considered such a model railway (I read somewhere that if an idea keeps coming back it is probably worthwhile doing).

I am new to model railroading (and rmweb - i do occasionally participate at freerails) although I do have a G scale outdoors start to a layout, am a technologist (my G scale loco's are wireless controlled with android app via JMRI and Stanton S-Cab bits all functionally cobbled together by myself), and want to start a N scale switching type layout indoors.

I am not sure if the RWS would be a good background as I am across the pond as we say, from the US of A.  Hence a few questions if you all might entertain them, but should I start a new thread somewhere so as not to pollute this?

EDIT: thank you all, i have started a new thread over in Modelling Questions, Help and Tips.

Edited by hlfritz
clarity, new thread

4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

That's generally considered polite.  This is Tom's thread.

This must of been what I was like when I first started commenting on Grantham. 

@hlfritz if you start another thread mate there Will be plenty of people willing to help.

@Tom F Excellent stuff mate, can’t wait for more updates! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2019 at 07:20, Tom F said:

Some photos, now I've mocked up some of the buildings.

D2 'Boco' with the Tidmouth parcels, passes NWR No 8 '5741 Duck' with a pick up goods for Knapford Junction.

DSC06203.jpg.f7f90a02e5e2cd690b4780d4540a0524.jpg

While No 8 passes with it's goods train,  NWR No 11 '1436 Oliver' shunts 16T minerals to the top of the coaling stage (the Awdry books work as an excellent incline ;) ).

DSC06205.jpg.eab8b816890bd93df124cad1cb8c45e4.jpg

NWR No 6 'Percy' shunts the yard running parallel to the main line.

DSC06204.jpg.42f2be68bdfb63e9748c2e59107b33a3.jpg

A shot showing the proposed coaling stage (with illustration below)

DSC06206.jpg.44a4a7788864d9944a86a321b91f8181.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg.5dd651e6da9cb9de002171854c2c3d20.jpg

Tidmouth NWR 4 Road Shed location/mock up.

DSC06207.jpg.453f1b4497dd6de32fa18d8a25d7a6d8.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg.fa6cea4eaabd6eb6ee355a2a12a96620.jpg

I have a question, shouldn't the shed have an ash pit or a tunnel to oil the engines from underneath?

1 hour ago, OnTheBranchline said:

I have a question, shouldn't the shed have an ash pit or a tunnel to oil the engines from underneath?

Yes, inspection pits would have been in the sheds, the ones marked on the plan are strictly for ash disposal.

I wasn't going to post anything regarding this, but I might as well reveal that I've made the decision to not model Tidmouth Sheds. I have a new project that is going to utilise the baseboards.

In the meantime, here's something taken today.

DSC06302.jpg.4e9e5007ddf0e15630e3e4fc52e5a816.jpg

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, Tom F said:

I wasn't going to post anything regarding this, but I might as well reveal that I've made the decision to not model Tidmouth Sheds. I have a new project that is going to utilise the baseboards.

In the meantime, here's something taken today.

DSC06302.jpg.4e9e5007ddf0e15630e3e4fc52e5a816.jpg

:o

It's still Railway series related though 

:cray_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear that Tidmouth Sheds isn’t going ahead Tom - I was looking forward to seeing your interpretation take shape. Glad to hear that it’ll still be Railway Series related though!

That really is a cracking picture of No.6.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NeilHB said:

Sorry to hear that Tidmouth Sheds isn’t going ahead Tom - I was looking forward to seeing your interpretation take shape. Glad to hear that it’ll still be Railway Series related though!

That really is a cracking picture of No.6.

Thanks @NeilHB
There was a few reasons for the decision. Loss of motivation being one, the fact I couldn't run full length 6-8 coach trains was another, and a few other reasons.

It think you'll like what I have planned. I'm keeping it under wraps for now until I've started laying some track work down, but I think this will tick all my boxes for an operational layout. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tom F said:

It think you'll like what I have planned. I'm keeping it under wraps for now until I've started laying some track work down, but I think this will tick all my boxes for an operational layout. 

Sorry to hear the original plan has been shelved, but these things happen, hopefully your new project will relight the model fire!

Looking forward to seeing it take shape :D

• RMweb Gold

I think I was in the same boat as you, Tom. My original layout was to have been Tidmouth Sheds too, but I found that operationally it served little function other than a diorama where locos shuffled in and out.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Knapford would make a good model :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Certainly would, but I don’t have enough space to do the main line trains justice.

All will be revealed in due course! :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

In the meantime can I widely speculate and remain consistently far from the actual answer :P

By all means! :lol:

There are so many interesting locations.

Hi Tom

I only discovered this thread this morning and intend to read it cover to cover as it ties perfectly with ideas I've had of my own for a number of years! I love to see realistic Sudrian modelling!

I don't wish to hijack your thread (and apologies if this has been raised before or if I'm going to far OT) but I have a question for you.
It's made clear not only in the stories but the source books too, that members of the Hatt family are very shrewd business men who have a distinct preference for steam locomotives. Do you think that in steams final days, Sir Topham (as controller of the North Western Region) might have seen the decline of steam and taken the opportunity to request the transfer of a number of the BR standard locomotives to supplement his, by now well aged, fleet? This provides a selection of young, modern and less labour intensive steam locomotives, saves them from the now obvious fate of scrapping and delays any major influx of diesels for several more years.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your layout and more of your North Western locomotives!

Thanks
Rhys

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, WD0-6-0 said:

Hi Tom

I only discovered this thread this morning and intend to read it cover to cover as it ties perfectly with ideas I've had of my own for a number of years! I love to see realistic Sudrian modelling!

I don't wish to hijack your thread (and apologies if this has been raised before or if I'm going to far OT) but I have a question for you.
It's made clear not only in the stories but the source books too, that members of the Hatt family are very shrewd business men who have a distinct preference for steam locomotives. Do you think that in steams final days, Sir Topham (as controller of the North Western Region) might have seen the decline of steam and taken the opportunity to request the transfer of a number of the BR standard locomotives to supplement his, by now well aged, fleet? This provides a selection of young, modern and less labour intensive steam locomotives, saves them from the now obvious fate of scrapping and delays any major influx of diesels for several more years.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your layout and more of your North Western locomotives!

Thanks
Rhys

Hi Rhys!

It's an interesting idea, although ultimately I don't know the answer really. I think it's a distinct possibility and makes a lot of sense.

I also have my own theory I've discussed with @BritishGypsum4 that possibly around 1969 the North Western Region was privatised, and the North Western Railway Company reborn (I can't quite believe that British Railway would be happy one of their regions was running steam, when they made an entire ban on the system post 1968).

Edited by Tom F
  • Friendly/supportive 1