removal of chip

chesterfield

recently I acquired a second-hand Atlas MP 15 Loco fitted with a DCC chip and loudspeaker.

As I operate with DC I am wondering what to do with this.

I understand that the easiest way to deal with it, is to get a DCC user to program it for me to run on DC.

If I remove the chip is there anything else I need to do to make it operational on DC?

Depends on whether it was DCC ready before the decoder was fitted or if it is a custom hardwire installation.

If DCC ready then all you have to do is remove decoder and refit blanking plug.

If hardwired then you need to remove the chip wiring and recreate the DC wiring including suppression and anything else that the loco had originally.

If the first not complex, if the the second get CV29 sorted to enable DC and leave it at that

Be a bit careful here the Atlas MP15s that I've got have a purpose factory fitted DCC complete circuit board with chip incorporated , it is NOT a simple chip removal arrangement. However many Atlas DCC factory fitted locos come ready to run on DC or DCC ,  if DC is  disabled is simply a tweak of CV29 to sort out.

It will need checking as it could also be a home brew conversion. Have you got the original box and instructions? What is the box description 'Silver', Master, or what?

Are you able to post  photos of the box and the loco with the body removed?

John

First: try it with a 9V battery  across the wheels - or a piece off track and see if it runs ( both ways too)

If it does, then there is no need to remove the dcc decoder, as it has been left in the default -dc(analogue) enabled mode.

Then, if your existing analogue controller is a modern electronic type [smoothed output or high frequency pulses]- and NOT an old H&M Clipper or Tri-ang Variwave etc  from the 'pre-historic/electronic era ..... where their output is unsmoothed rectified ac - or early 'feedback controller like a SecDigitol Mk4  - whose output is a mains-derived frequency pulse width   [NEITHER  is compatible with a decoder]

then you will have no problem running it on your existing system - except that the speed knob will  have to be increased to about 'half-way' before the loco powers up  (lights and any sound will work at full brightness), and then proportionally from that position to maximum, the speed will increase proportionally  from 0 to maximum.

A Caution should be applied: Do not SWITCH the direction from one way to the other when the loco is moving .... drop it to 0 volts FIRST.

[SOME decoders ONLY decide which direction to go, in analogue, when they first start up .... they need to go via 0 Volts which restarts them]

Edited by Phil S
  • Agree 2

Thank you all.

Phil's advice was appropriate in that I have two H & M Clippers and I would have used them to run the loco. I am about to acquire (as well) a couple of GWR 56xxs which are chipped so will need to deal with those too. Nothing is as simple as , in my ignorance, I thoughts . Thanks