B.B.C.’s ‘Chatting to Strangers on Public Transport Day’ vs. ‘The View from the Train’.

• RMweb Gold

I heard of the above event on the wireless this morning.  See also:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48622007

I was going to take it Off Topic and add my two penn’orth to:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121466-third-rail-emu-photos/page/41/#comments

…but perhaps it would be better to describe in a new thread the joys of gazing from a train window, and not  conversing with others.  I can not begin to elucidate sufficiently the joys of watching the world go by (or not, if stuck at a signal).  It is simply the best reason (if possible) not to travel any other way.  Gazing at passing country-side, townscapes, or factories, etc., one can marvel at the beauty of nature, the wonder of humanity, and the achievements of civilisation.  A cup of tea at hand, a working lavatory at the end of the coach, and agreeably-behaved fellow passengers, how can one not be uplifted at the end of one’s journey by the pleasure of being alive?

I know, the above is idealistic – we have all had appalling journeys quite unlike this - but I just wanted to be counted as one not brain-dead in front of a screen.  See also Patrick Keiller’s excellent book, ‘The View from the Train : Cities and Other Landscapes’, Repr. 2014.  I hope others agree one need not be an enthusiast to enjoy this most civilised of travel modes, just possess a sense of ‘aesthetic curiosity’.  There, I feel better now.  Best wishes to you all.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

I heard that on the radio this morning as well, and whilst not wanting for a minute to make light of such a serious issue as mental health, it did remind me of Gerard Hoffnung’s advice for tourists visiting the UK. As well as encouraging them try out the famous echo in the British Museum Reading Room (amongst many other things), he advised that it was only proper to introduce oneself to each occupant of the carriage compartment whilst enthusiastically shaking their hand. I’ve a feeling that he also suggested that those completing the Times crossword always appreciated advice and hints.

Ah, a great man, now known to too few.

Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Extroverts hate being on their own; their batteries are charged when they are with other people, to give them enough energy to survive

through the appalling times when they are alone.

introverts make their energy when they’re on their own; energy they then have to spend to get them through the appalling times when they are forced to interact with others.

”Chatting to strangers on public transport day” was invented by extroverts to give them an excuse to steal my energy for themselves...

:)

Paul 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Chatting to strangers.....  :scared:

Would you really want to have a bobby feel your collar because you tried to chat to strangers on a train (other forms of transport are available)?  I remember there was once an idea that people should be more "tactile" and be generous with hugs.  Look where that got us....

I would feel most uncomfortable if a stranger kept trying to strike up a conversation with me!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Chatting to strangers.....  :scared:

Would you really want to have a bobby feel your collar because you tried to chat to strangers on a train (other forms of transport are available)?  I remember there was once an idea that people should be more "tactile" and be generous with hugs.  Look where that got us....

I would feel most uncomfortable if a stranger kept trying to strike up a conversation with me!

"Have you seen my pet spider, he's in this matchbox"

That normally encourages people to move away. :diablo_mini::jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

It is not just the vulgarity and ill-manners of the intrusion, it is also the idea some people have that watching the world go by is 'not doing anything', so one must be in need of 'interaction'.  "Relax, and try it for yourselves," I say.  Who needs cinema when you have the sky and the landscape (if not in a tunnel or cutting, of course) outside?

I admit I have been tempted to pretend I do not speak English, as an escape mechanism...

Edited by C126
Additional text.
  • Like 2

I suspect I would be one of those "that cherish their solitude".

Been a while since the last time, but when I do travel by train - particularly alone - I am more than happy to stare out of the window and watch the world go by. If only because when I am normally travelling it is by car, and I am driving therefore have little opportunity to stare out of the window and watch the world go by. [I am looking out of the window in front of me, and to the side, and behind via mirrors etc. but all for a specific purpose rather than simply to see what is there and to allow the mind to wander.]

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Catkins said:

"Have you seen my pet spider, he's in this matchbox"

That normally encourages people to move away. :diablo_mini::jester:

Not as much as :

"Have you seen my pet spider??!! He WAS in this matchbox!" 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

My main form of defence is to stick some earbuds in and listen to something on a little MP3 player.

If anyone wants to invade my bubble, I  just smile and nod, gesture at the earphones, nudge the volume up a bit and gaze vacantly out of the window nodding my head to the music.

The problem nowadays is that so many trains DON'T have seats aligned with the windows, which is a shame.  The designers should be made to travel on one of their creations...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If you want people to naff off, might I suggest scatching vigourously and exclaiming "damn cat has given me fleas again", failing that the old fallback of scratching ones nuts and complaining of crabs also works.

To kill an unwanted conversation try also exclaiming "I haven't had a poo for a week", if that doesn't work then try reaching for your phone and saying "you should have seen the size of it the last time this happened, it were so big I took a photo of it"

Edited by Boris
More filth and a poo gag
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

The last train journey I made a few weeks ago to have a conversation you would have almost had to shout over a woman bragging on the phone to her mate about how drunk she was the previous night and a few seats down an older woman speaking on the phone about her doctors appt!  Who needs to chat to strangers! 

Steve.

• Like 2