The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

• 4 weeks later...

Work continues towards adding more detail to the layout.  I've built and installed three more semaphore signals, and two ground signals.  Plus I am actively developing the areas immediately surrounding the goods yard.  Next step though is the furnishing of Platform 2 opposite the station by scratch building a GWR passenger shelter, addition of platform lights (non-functioning) and seats with sitting passengers.  More photos attached.

2023-04-15-03.36.57 ZS DMap.jpg

2023-04-15-07.39.46 ZS DMap.jpg

2023-04-15-07.24.39 ZS DMap.jpg

Edited by ParkeNd
Phot added
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly finished the platform passenger shelter although I have gone for an LMS/Wye valley shelter rather than a pagoda.  Made this choice because the pagodas look dull to me, and although I can make hipped roofs the concave corrugated roof is too much of a challenge, and the Wills kit is too small.  I've used Daler board covered in Slaters Plastikard as per my normal construction method.  Plus Evergreen plastic channel, angle, and channel.  I've used some corrugated "ping pong ball" type plastic left over from the Nissan huts for the roof, and I'd love to be able to find a sleeping OO gauge cat to go on my hot tin roof.  And used brass etched valances.  Just about to start painting tiny vending machines and scales, and preparing enamel signs for a biota colour.  Despite it having a footprint of only 60mm x 40mm it's taking as much time as far bigger buildings because of glue and paint drying times at each stage.  Photos soon.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

During the very wet weather I have been continuing to add small details.  The latest is volunteers rebuilding a grounded van to use for a crew mess room, and a small load for one of the lorries.  Just tiny but takes ages.

IMG_4157.jpg

2024-02-14-03.29.31 ZS DMap.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to confess that I have made no progress with either the platform seats or the platform lights.  I have a brass kit for GWR seats but I think it's beyond my ability to either solder or epoxy glue such small parts.  Similarly a Peco lamps kit enabled me to prove that there is more to specifying small assemblies that just pressing the :reduce" button on a photocopier at the manufacturer.  Trying to hold parts the size of ant's antennas together with tweezers while glue set was beyond me ........so I gave up.  I have, however, found that the bridge which marks the entry onto the layout from the fiddle yard is a super place for photos, especially using two flashguns in synch.  So I have"grassed" the fiddle yard to cover the bare MDF whilst leaving the rails unballasted and unpainted to ensure I can cleanly assemble trains.  See below.

2024-03-22-05.37.50 ZS DMap-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have 4 locos I purchased second-hand at least two years ago that are DCC compatible but have no sockets - thus a "proper man" will need to cut wires and wield a soldering iron which is beyond me.  Plus the locos are As New which further frightens me off.  I will, however, investigate the recently announced DCC kit to see if this makes the solution easier.  But I can photograph them in place on the layout and photograph them with the power off.  So below is a Hornby Railroad 14XX with Autocar, and a Bachmann 08 Gronk.  My Pug and 57xx have yet to come out of the boxes.

2024-03-27-01.59.03 ZS DMap.jpg

2024-03-27-04.33.51 ZS DMap.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Here's the other non-chipped locos.  The Pug will be no good because the wheel flanges are too deep for the low profile track - they run along the sleepers.  But the 57xx will be excellent with DFR having both 9681 and 9682. 

2024-03-28-02.13.58 ZS DMap-2.jpg

2024-03-28-02.06.40 ZS DMap.jpg

Edited by ParkeNd
57XX numbers corrected
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...