Bachmann Scenecraft GCR Buildings

AY Mod

• Moderators

Make Scenecraft Central to Your Plans

A Version GC Buildings Green.jpg

On Friday 14th June 2019, Bachmann Europe Plc announced several new additions to its Scenecraft range of OO scale buildings during the Great Central Railway’s Model Event.

B Version GC Buildings Brown.jpg

Fittingly, the models are based on the structures found at the GCR’s Rothley Station. The models have previously been available in Green & Cream livery – originally used by the GCR in the early 20th century and the condition in which Rothley Station is currently presented. Due to popular demand these models make a welcome return along with the addition of two further colour schemes of Brown & Cream, suitable for the 1920s-1940s and as Quorn & Woodhouse Station appears today, and Maroon & Cream harking back to the 1950s-1960s when the line was under the control of BR Midland Region. Each set consists of a high-level Station Entrance and Staircase, a Station Booking Office and Canopy, a Waiting Room and Toilet. Matching Road Bridges are also available to complete the station scene. Each model is hand-painted with features including etched windows & signs and separately applied detail parts such as fire-buckets and lamps.

C Version GC Buildings Cream & Maroon.jpg

The models were available to purchase from Bachmann stockists during the Model Event and can be purchased from all Bachmann stockists shortly afterwards.

Details of the items are as follows:

44-115A Gentlemen's Toilet GCR Green & Cream £19.95

44-115A.jpg

44-115B Gentlemen's Toilet 1920s-40s Brown & Cream £19.95

44-115B.jpg

44-115C Gentlemen's Toilet - 1950s-60s Maroon & Cream £19.95

44-115C.jpg

44-116A Waiting Room GCR Green & Cream £39.95

44-116A.jpg

44-116A_1.jpg

44-116B Waiting Room 1920s-40s Brown & Cream £39.95

44-116B.jpg

44-116B_1.jpg

44-116C Waiting Room 1950s-60s Maroon & Cream £39.95

44-116C.jpg

44-116C_1.jpg

44-117A Station Booking Office and Canopy GCR Green & Cream £53.95

44-117A.jpg

44-117A_1.jpg

44-117B Station Booking Office and Canopy 1920s-40s Brown & Cream £53.95

44-117B.jpg

44-117B_1.jpg

44-117C Station Booking Office and Canopy 1950s-60s Maroon & Cream £53.95

44-117C.jpg

44-117C_1.jpg

44-119A High Level Station Entrance GCR Green & Cream £89.95

44-119A.jpg

44-119B High Level Station Entrance 1920s-40s Brown & Cream £89.95

44-119B.jpg

44-119C High Level Station Entrance 1950s-60s Maroon & Cream £89.95

44-119C.jpg

44-121 Central Single Track Road Bridge £39.95

44-121.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I’m glad that their being reissued, shame they don’t fit in with my present layout but I still might get them just to say I’ve got them lol.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I am from Ruddington and this is the same design as the old lost station I remember as a small child ....this could tempt me to do a little OO gauge layout....

Cheers, Ade.

I like them too. But the GCR did not do small stations.

• RMweb Gold

Dose anyone have any measurements of the the platform or a legible layout of rothley around the 1950/60s? I do have one but its very hard see the track layout. Seems to be a passing line one east side but the other is totally guess work. 

They are excellent, and at the GC model show I bought the Station Entrance and Staircase to go with the platform buildings I acquired from the first release.  But why on earth has it been produced with the doors at the bottom of the stairs moulded in the "closed" position?  Surely this must necessitate unwelcome 'surgery'?

• RMweb Gold

In a rare moment of sanity, I did manage to travel from Rugby to Nottingham a few days before the line closed in 1969. The station configuration lends itself to modestly-sized layouts, where the overbridge is the scenic break, and only one platform is required. Loads of scope for those with modern-sized homes. 

• Like 3

On 15/06/2019 at 16:47, Joseph_Pestell said:

Sorry, careless of me to say GCR when what I meant was GCR London Extension.

Err, actually, most of the stations on the London Extension were small, with the exception of Nottingham, Loughborough and Leicester. They used a standard design of buildings, and island platforms. The main difference being that some were accessed from an overbridge (such as Quorn, Rothley, Birstall, Ruddington) or an under-bridge (Swithland, East Leake, Lutterworth etc). There are exceptions, of course, and 'RULE 1' always applies....

There are some good books on the subject for those who wish to know more. Finally, there were the oddities, just for variety. 

PS The station at Swithland was proposed by never built. However, the steps from the road up to the proposed platform, were built and then infilled for later use. They are still there, along with the bricked-up arch. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Err, actually, most of the stations on the London Extension were small, with the exception of Nottingham, Loughborough and Leicester. They used a standard design of buildings, and island platforms. The main difference being that some were accessed from an overbridge (such as Quorn, Rothley, Birstall, Ruddington) or an under-bridge (Swithland, East Leake, Lutterworth etc). There are exceptions, of course, and 'RULE 1' always applies....

There are some good books on the subject for those who wish to know more. Finally, there were the oddities, just for variety. 

PS The station at Swithland was proposed by never built. However, the steps from the road up to the proposed platform, were built and then infilled for later use. They are still there, along with the bricked-up arch. 

They were of simple layout and usually only a single island platform. But small, no. Look at the Charwelton layout as a prime example.

By having the road overbridge as the scenic break at one end of the layout, one would be able to model what is in effect half the station trackwork and, with another road overbridge, tunnel or building as the second scenic break, one might manage one of these stations in a layout 14' long.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2019 at 11:10, farren said:

Dose anyone have any measurements of the the platform or a legible layout of rothley around the 1950/60s? I do have one but its very hard see the track layout. Seems to be a passing line one east side but the other is totally guess work. 

old-maps.co.uk has a very clear image from a 1956 OS map.

Illustrates well the point that I was making. Starting from the road overbridge going southwards, the station is about 450 yards long, about 18' in 4mm scale. And that takes you onto an embankment so no easy scenic break at that end.

Yes I have built one in N gauge and you still need about six feet for something half convincing. If you shorten the platform you lose the mainline look. 

You could just use the booking hall and stairs if you are short of space. Having a longer bare platform could represent a 1980s freelance rationalised station and the whole thing would look less crowded in a small space. You could even model a truncated terminus like Blackpool South with the trains disappearing beneath the road bridge to the rest of the world.. 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Illustrates well the point that I was making. Starting from the road overbridge going southwards, the station is about 450 yards long, about 18' in 4mm scale. And that takes you onto an embankment so no easy scenic break at that end.

Can be measured from this too

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.32153744901346&lat=52.7041&lon=-1.1596&layers=168&b=1

This gives the station length as 410 feet, from bridge to platform ends, or 164 cm in 4 mm scale (=c.64 inches)

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
length added
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, tractionman said:

Can be measured from this too

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.32153744901346&lat=52.7041&lon=-1.1596&layers=168&b=1

This gives the station length as 410 feet, from bridge to platform ends, or 164 cm in 4 mm scale (=c.64 inches)

Cheers,

Keith

410ft - 6/7 coach train is right for this line.

But a station layout does not just have platforms.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Ummmm I find my self very tempted with a model off this. I have, finished tables making12×12 with 8 ×8 well. So a little small but can exstand the layout to 12' × 18' 

Thank you all  for your replieson the measurements off the station 

Edited by farren
Forgot my Manners

This gives me chance to create the East Leake Station as well as having already got the Rothley buildings (all of them) plus the platform parts. I did get the waiting room whilst at Loughborough model show. 

On 17/06/2019 at 12:32, Joseph_Pestell said:

You can also reference The National Library of Scotland's excellent online 'side by side' map viewer for most localities in the UK. So for example, Rothley in the Edwardian period would be: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/swipe/#zoom=18&lat=52.7041&lon=-1.1587&layers=168&right=BingSat 

Note that I had road names switched off in the satelite view but you can just as easily switch them back on again and also switch maps on the other side. Don't go viewing the dismantled and carelessly discarded sections of the line though... it will bring a tear to your eye.

Regards,

Nick

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Where have people found the best deals on these buildings? Hattons don’t seem to be getting them due to their issues. Kernow and Cheltenham seem to be the best prices I can find. Gaugemaster is pretty close to RRP. Being that they need shipped to New Zealand i need to find the cheapest option available as shipping is going to cost a bomb! 

7 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Where have people found the best deals on these buildings? Hattons don’t seem to be getting them due to their issues. Kernow and Cheltenham seem to be the best prices I can find. Gaugemaster is pretty close to RRP. Being that they need shipped to New Zealand i need to find the cheapest option available as shipping is going to cost a bomb! 

Look at the Hatton's website. In the "new stock" section. ;)

Jason