Class 442 - Finally back in service on the LSWR.

On 01/04/2021 at 12:59, Nearholmer said:

Refit the interiors in luxury style, paint them brown and cream, and re-designate as 5-BEL-MkII, then run them at premium fares for people who value komfort and kippers.

(Actually, that might not be such a daft idea - I'm thinking Saturday and Sunday excursions from London to the coast, especially this year if there are to be no foreign holidays. Whitstable, Rye (blast - no juice for the last bit!), Eastbourne, Brighton, Bournemouth, Weymouth, those sorts of destinations)

Already considered, eleven years ago.

Now, which name would you prefer ?, as pictured ? or something more classy ?, say 'Porcia' ?

post-7009-126936122463.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The thought did occur that the driving trailers might be adaptable for use in a 1+4 HST set-up, but I understand the FGW Castle sets need two power cars in order to provide sufficient acceleration to work Class 158 diagrams.

John

48 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Could they be used as loco hauled stock? I know that there's a MK3 surplus and possibly the ETH/brakes aren't compatible, but could it be done without any major work?

They had ETH sockets and air brakes, but wouldn't work as push pull without serious mods to the units or locos (or possibly a 33/1)

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

They had ETH sockets and air brakes, but wouldn't work as push pull without serious mods to the units or locos (or possibly a 33/1)

There's almost certainly going to be something located in the power car that would be vital to the operation of a 4-car p/p set.....

John

23 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The thought did occur that the driving trailers might be adaptable for use in a 1+4 HST set-up, but I understand the FGW Castle sets need two power cars in order to provide sufficient acceleration to work Class 158 diagrams.

John

To be honest I just meant as straight forward hauled stock, I wasn't really thinking of using them as a push-pull unit, but now that you mention it, it would be a good idea.

22 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Right thanks, but I was just thinking of them being used as normal hauled stock without any push pull capacity.