Hornby decoder pin length?

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Just bought two Hornby J36 locomotives.  As usual, I tried to fit Gaugemaster decoders (DCC26 to one, and DCC27 to the other) however I found that they do not fit.  The problem seems to be that the length of the pins causes the circuit board to sit too high to fit under the tender body.  Comparing the length of the pins to those of the Hornby blanking plate, the latter are far shorter; is this also the case with the Hornby decoders?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for the information about the Lenz chip.

The decoder is fine once it is persuaded to lie flat; it's the 8-pin plug that sits too high.  The blanking plate has short pins, meaning that the circuit board lies directly on top of the socket; there's no space under the socket.  The Gaugemaster plug has pins roughly twice the length meaning that it sits a couple of millimetres higher, and so fouls the underside of the tender body.

I tend to use decoders that can be purchased locally; these days that means either Gaugemaster or Hornby.

Again, thanks for the help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion; I had considered it but thought it a little drastic.

My local model shop has a chap that does dcc installation and repairs for folk, so I've left a note for him to see what he thinks.

again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Appreciated it defeats the purpose of "DCC Ready" and I'm not familiar with the J36 but when presented with this kind of issue, where possible, I generally dispense with the socket, chop off the decoder plug and hard wire the decoder.

• Informative/Useful 1