Small/Micro 7mm/O Gauge BLT Layout

BoltblasterM1910

Hello!

I'd like some advice  and opinions if this track plan I've come up with is a workable  and has reasonable operational interest.

I'm concerned that my spacings/clearances may be a bit out?

* O gauge/7mm scale

*11' length.

*2' width at narrow end, up to 4'wide other end.

* 19.5" (approx.)Dia. Turntable as part of Run around loop. Loop should accommodate up to 3 x 18" L.O.A Coaches. I know there were prototypes, not many for this arrangement. Alternatively I suppose a "Moor" street style  traverser could be substituted for the turntable?   If I decide on a TT it will probably be a Kitwood Hill 7mm scale 65' model.  This will take a BR 9F locomotive.....would it fit an A4 pacific?......love to get one of those someday, even though realistically its far too large to run "authentically" on a small BLT!!

* Sidings for coal staithes, Goods shed, Engine Shed and Kick back siding (Not ideal for shunting!~?).
for small industry.

Fiddle Yard in other room, Tunnel through the wall.

Height of the layout( track height) will be between 4'- 4'6"above the floor, probably 4'3"as this will give a good 1'clearance above  the fiddle-yard of the OO gauge layout it will be built over.

All track and points will be PECO. Wired for DC but with the provision to make track all live for DCC at the flick of a switch.

I have a Dapol 57xx 0-6-0PT and an Ixion Fowler 0-4-0 Diesel so probably G.W.R. themed for a start, but adaptable to Early BR so I can run a varied range of locomotives etc.. at a later date.

The turntable obviously could be a lot smaller for these two locomotives, but I would like it to be able to turn larger engines in the future, like a 61xx or even a 43xx.

I'm not modelling any prototype, but would like some realism and basically the layout should be  interesting  and fun to operate!

It will be built over  the fiddle-yard /return loop for an OO gauge layout that I'm also planning.

2nd. Picture rough draft of lower OO Ga. Layout. 3rd. O Ga. over OO Ga.  The lower layout has been developed more but as I'm only using the trial Anyrail version I've had to delete some trackwork.

I can't take up any more space in the room as it has to double as my Guitar/Music room!

Room Train Layout.jpg

Room Train Layout lower OO layout.jpg

Room Train Layout lower OO layout-O Ga. Over..jpg

• RMweb Gold

You are writing about a BLT with a 3 coach capacity, but it is unclear from your diagram as to whether there is any more space (off scene storage).

If not then you will be stuck with the three coaches you mention in the station, and they will be unable to go anywhere.

Any particular reason you're using a 70ft turntable? (19.5" long) I would think that a branch-line would make use of a smaller one. A Collet goods fit on a 45' turntable with buffers over-hanging at both end. The great news is that you can adapt the Peco On30 turntable with a new deck and wider-spaced rails and you've got a reasonable O gauge turntable. Call it 1:45 scale and you've got a 45 ft turntable. The deck is 12" long, which gives you a rather handy extra 7.5" of length to work with.

If you run larger mainline locomotives onto the layout, say as tour trains, you would use a tank engine to shunt the coaches to release the big loco.

"If you run larger mainline locomotives onto the layout, say as tour trains, you would use a tank engine to shunt the coaches to release the big loco.

Agree

Thanks

Informative/Useful

Craftsmanship/clever

Funny

Friendly/supportive"

That's a good idea and would add some more operational interest as well as free up some space. Thanks.  The Larger TT is a bit extreme for a small BLT! Kitwood Hill Turntable are available in a 30', a new 40'is being developed and a 48'in 7mm scale. The 48'is approx. 13.5" Dia.   The 40'is about 11"so I have been informed. This one isn't shown on the website yet as its still under development.

http://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/brands/7mm-O-Scale-.html