Signalling query - shunt arms and advanced starters?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RailWest said:

I've never seen an arrangement like that before, so would be interested to know how common it might have been.

Can you post a copy of, or link to, the SB diagram please?

Unfortunately not, for copyright reasons (it's on a DVD from the signalling record society that specifically states not to copy, hence why I redrew it myself). It's a scan of the microfilm copy of the original from the Southern house archives in Croydon. Definitely not a mistake in the numbering either as it's clearly stated in the locking table.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Unfortunately not, for copyright reasons (it's on a DVD from the signalling record society that specifically states not to copy, hence why I redrew it myself). It's a scan of the microfilm copy of the original from the Southern house archives in Croydon. Definitely not a mistake in the numbering either as it's clearly stated in the locking table.

No problem, I have a copy of the SRS files, so I've located it now. How odd...

The more common arrangement that I have seen in several places was for the FPL to be on one lever and the two sets of points on a second lever, but with the trailing 'catch' point usually set for the main route, so that it opened as a trap/catch when the point for the loop exit was reversed. Was it perhaps a downhill gradient away from the station on each side?

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, RailWest said:

No problem, I have a copy of the SRS files, so I've located it now. How odd...

The more common arrangement that I have seen in several places was for the FPL to be on one lever and the two sets of points on a second lever, but with the trailing 'catch' point usually set for the main route, so that it opened as a trap/catch when the point for the loop exit was reversed. Was it perhaps a downhill gradient away from the station on each side?

That's what I would have expected too. I can't find a proper gradient diagram, but it looks like it was downhill in the Horsham direction, and level in the Guildford direction. 

The only thing I can think is that this arrangement provides some kind of trapping to both roads, but having a runaway split the trailing points would cause a horrible mess!

• 3 years later...

My first post here, so apologies if this is inappropriate.

I’m also planning to model Cranleigh Station, and was over the moon to discover this thread which contains a ton of useful information.

BUT. 

It’s quite hard to interpret some of that information without the embedded images, which appear to have been swallowed by the internet. Is there any way to recover them, or could some kind soul ( @Nick C ) possibly repost them?

No worries if it’s not possible - the thread’s 5 years old after all, but I thought I’d ask.

Thanks,

RF

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RobertFrench said:

My first post here, so apologies if this is inappropriate.

I’m also planning to model Cranleigh Station, and was over the moon to discover this thread which contains a ton of useful information.

BUT. 

It’s quite hard to interpret some of that information without the embedded images, which appear to have been swallowed by the internet. Is there any way to recover them, or could some kind soul ( @Nick C ) possibly repost them?

No worries if it’s not possible - the thread’s 5 years old after all, but I thought I’d ask.

Thanks,

RF

Hi Robert,

I can't find the diagrams I drew at the moment, I'll have a look on the old computer when I get home, see if I've got them still - unfortunately most of the images here were lost when the previous hosting provider had a crash. 

The earlier posts were referring to the Pryer drawing in this book: https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/Bookstall/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_71_67&product_id=116 - worth getting a copy if you're interested in the line as it's only £7.

54 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Hi Robert,

I can't find the diagrams I drew at the moment, I'll have a look on the old computer when I get home, see if I've got them still - unfortunately most of the images here were lost when the previous hosting provider had a crash. 

The earlier posts were referring to the Pryer drawing in this book: https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/Bookstall/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_71_67&product_id=116 - worth getting a copy if you're interested in the line as it's only £7.

That's fab thank you!  I'd rummaged around the SRS site, but thought the Cranleigh diagrams were in volume 21, which didn't seem to be available and I couldn't find a second hand copy.  But I can see that volume 24 includes Christs Hospital to Bramley, which is perfect, so I'll order a copy now.

How did your model go?  EDIT Scratch that, I've just read about your unfortunate warped boards incident…  sorry to hear that! I shall read up on your subsequent exploits with interest!

Thanks again,

Robert

Edited by RobertFrench