Searchable on line index?

john new

• RMweb Gold

Is there a searchable on line index anywhere to what was in past BRM copies?

For example, as I am a newbie to DCC it would be useful to find all the various articles on DCC without having to open the contents page of every edition. I also recall recently seeing a feature by Phil on the underground Ernie chassis, but can’t find it in my YouTube history so I am guessing it was on one of the BRM TV DVDs I recently browsed.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As a new subscriber in the past year, I too would love to have a search facility. Would be very useful for articles, reviews and features.

My other thing is layout names. I'm as bad with them as I am with people's faces. I can remember seeing a featured layout, but the 'name' never registers with me so trying to find the layout again is near impossible!

• Administrators
On 15/06/2019 at 23:45, john new said:

I also recall recently seeing a feature by Phil on the underground Ernie chassis, but can’t find it in my YouTube history so I am guessing it was on one of the BRM TV DVDs I recently browsed.

Not me guv. I've blogged about an Underground Ernie chassis but nothing more than "I bought one".  We've not done anything as a project with them as they aren't in current production.

• Administrators

The problem with a searchable index is that it's a massive job to create, and no-one wants to pay for it. However, Gold members with Exact Edition access to the BRM library have an excellent search facility built into this. I use it quite a lot for looking for old articles. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

The problem with a searchable index is that it's a massive job to create, and no-one wants to pay for it. However, Gold members with Exact Edition access to the BRM library have an excellent search facility built into this. I use it quite a lot for looking for old articles. 

Thanks will try that option as I am signed up.

I know all about indexing issues, with a colleague doing the grunt data capture work, I've just worked on the page layout for the SLS Journal index for 2018 and we have less pages than BRM!

I asked as I wasn't sure if anyone did it already "in house" for the print edition, therefore there could be a link to existing compiled data. Agree it is probably too big a job to do otherwise, especially for the back numbers.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Not me guv. I've blogged about an Underground Ernie chassis but nothing more than "I bought one".  We've not done anything as a project with them as they aren't in current production.

Thanks Phil. I re-found it later on - part of this very old blog post from 2009. Key thing that surprised me was it was wired with a DCC socket, that memory was what I was wanting to recheck. I have at least one of these plus two of the 0-4-0 shunter thingies in a box bought & put aside when they were being sold off cheap. Bought back then as possible GN15 chassis; back in the day I didn't have DCC, now I have a DCC system doing something with them gets more interesting.

Somewhere though there is another one, not yet re-found, covering the shunter. Memory has linked the two.

Edited by john new