• RMweb Premium

Agree with the weeds comment, some of those images look to be more branch line than main line. But then I suppose it would be considered by some as a long branch line once past Plymouth these days....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Agree with the weeds comment, some of those images look to be more branch line than main line. But then I suppose it would be considered by some as a long branch line once past Plymouth these days....

As ever people forget that due to modern environmental legislation it is necessary to let weeds grow and develop a leaf structure to absorb the Glyphosate based herbicide which is used. Spaying Glyphosate based weedkiller on bare ground does absolutely nothing to prevent seed germination and simply wastes money.

The recent wet weather has no doubt aided weed growth, plus made it harder to organise treatment as if ran falls shortly after the weedkiller is applied then it gets washed off before it has a chance to be absorbed by the plant.

NR do have an annual weedkilling programme (which has to take into account engineering works, spare paths, the limited number of spraying trains, areas where staff are bared from while trains are running, etc)  - but spraying the highly toxic ‘agent orange’ based herbicide that would linger in the ground for years (and polite watercourses, poison wildlife, etc) is well and truly over.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

As ever people forget that due to modern environmental legislation it is necessary to let weeds grow and develop a leaf structure to absorb the Glyphosate based herbicide which is used. .................

.......... and, unfortunately, the available 'window' between the weeds developing a leaf structure and then developing flowers & seed heads is far too brief for a comprehensive weedkilling campaign.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Splendid occasion! Well done NR! And thanks, CK!

For anyone who has doubts, travelling over the bridge by train is enough of a joy to those with a soul. The views up and down the Tamar are well worthwhile, albeit a bit spoiled by the busy - and utterly necessary - road bridge on the upstream side. Add in the provenance of this amazing structure and such a trip ought to be on any enthusiast's bucket-list. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

8 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

The siting of that 50mph speed limit sign makes sighting it rather difficult.

Oh no it doesnt.

Edit-

Just checked and at full linespeed (15mph) there is 9 seconds clear sighting of the 50 board, more than enough.

Edited by royaloak
More info and making original answer less abrupt.
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

As ever people forget that due to modern environmental legislation it is necessary to let weeds grow and develop a leaf structure to absorb the Glyphosate based herbicide which is used. Spaying Glyphosate based weedkiller on bare ground does absolutely nothing to prevent seed germination and simply wastes money.

There are places where weeds have been allowed to grow out off the brickwork in viaducts and then turn into small trees which are growing out from the viaduct. Surely that is a case of neglect and cannot be good for the structural integrity.  An example of this is in Stroud where I live.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

The recent wet weather has no doubt aided weed growth, plus made it harder to organise treatment as if ran falls shortly after the weedkiller is applied then it gets washed off before it has a chance to be absorbed by the plant.

NR do have an annual weedkilling programme (which has to take into account engineering works, spare paths, the limited number of spraying trains, areas where staff are bared from while trains are running, etc)  - but spraying the highly toxic ‘agent orange’ based herbicide that would linger in the ground for years (and polite watercourses, poison wildlife, etc) is well and truly over.

I do appreciate that, Phil, it wasn't so different just a few years ago when I was still working. I was just as critical of my employer back then in this regard.

Perhaps I am simply mourning the days when we could keep the infrastructure looking neat, tidy and well cared for.

Today it just looks like the railway in a Third World country. It's difficult to be proud of that aspect of our railway system (when there's much else that is very fine).

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, andy stroud said:

There are places where weeds have been allowed to grow out off the brickwork in viaducts and then turn into small trees which are growing out from the viaduct. Surely that is a case of neglect and cannot be good for the structural integrity.  An example of this is in Stroud where I live.

In contrast to the weed spraying side of the debate, the way that such a profusion of vegetation is allowed to grow out of brick and stone work on structures like you describe is simply disgraceful and a reflection of reduced budgets and manpower.

I believe a load of vegetation, left to grow in the brickwork of one of the cuttings near Birmingham New Street, fell onto the OLE a few years ago and caused a lot of disruption. I wonder how much that cost Network Rail? Even though I was still employed by them at the time, I remember thinking 'serves you right!' (whilst at the same time maintaining maximum sympathy for the passengers delayed and the poor staff who had to manage the incident and clear it up).

• Like 6

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<the busy - and utterly necessary - road bridge>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As one who has made several trips on the Saltash and Torpoint ferries over the years, there are those who would disagree. especially in todays traffic.   Waits in both directions were sometime interminable especially during the summer and other holidays.  Not that it bothered me as a child as I could roam the upper decks, but when working it was another thing altogether.  Schedules had to be kept and nothing was worse coming home than waiting in a along queue stretching out of Saltash or Torpoint.  Sometimes it was prudent to go via Callington!

While it was a shame to build so close to the RA Bridge, it remained the obvious choice just as Brunel found earlier.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

He said utterly necessary, not utterly UNnecessary.

Can you imagine the chaos if they tried to send all the bridge traffic over the ferries. oh wait a minute they did that a few months ago when there was a crash blocking the roundabout immediately before the Devon side of the bridge, Plymouth basically became one big car park on all major and most minor routes, 15 minute journeys were taking 3 or more hours.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, andy stroud said:

One of my pet hates, Network Rail as custodians of the Rail Network must be deficient in their care. 

• Agree 1

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< He said utterly necessary, not utterly UNnecessary>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. 

Of course - my fault, should've paid more attention.  Sorry Ian!

Brian.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, brianusa said:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< He said utterly necessary, not utterly UNnecessary>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. 

Of course - my fault, should've paid more attention.  Sorry Ian!

Brian.

I have to admit I read it as unnecessary too.

I think the preceding 'utterly' somehow

suggested what was to follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

In contrast to the weed spraying side of the debate, the way that such a profusion of vegetation is allowed to grow out of brick and stone work on structures like you describe is simply disgraceful and a reflection of reduced budgets and manpower.

I believe a load of vegetation, left to grow in the brickwork of one of the cuttings near Birmingham New Street, fell onto the OLE a few years ago and caused a lot of disruption. I wonder how much that cost Network Rail? Even though I was still employed by them at the time, I remember thinking 'serves you right!' (whilst at the same time maintaining maximum sympathy for the passengers delayed and the poor staff who had to manage the incident and clear it up).

The rapidity at which Buddleia, in particular, colonises areas, is quite astonishing. There was a specimen growing at height in the station box at Stratford International before the station had been fully commissioned.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, andy stroud said:

In cases like the situation you cite then neglect is an appropriate term.

Having said that please remember that Glyosphate is no more effective at preventing weed growth in lime motor than it is in soil. It is most unfortunate that the Victorans, in addition to building lots of railways also introduced the budleia plant anongst others into the UK from the rocky foothills of the Himalayas - whose seeds (if not destroyed by toxins like agent orange) find cracks and ledges of limestone mortar to be excellent growing spots as the replicate the conditions of their natural habitat.

What NR really needs to do is fir an RRV with a spaying arm and dose retaining walls / bridges with weedkiller like they do the tracks. BEFORE ANYONE MOANS I should make it crystal clear that it won’t stop vegitation starting to grow in the first place (the only chemicals which will do that are now banned by law) but such spraying activity would at least keep plant growth in check.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

The rapidity at which Buddleia, in particular, colonises areas, is quite astonishing. There was a specimen growing at height in the station box at Stratford International before the station had been fully commissioned.

Unfortunately Budleia is merely doing what comes naturally - and by that I mean growing on ledges / cracks in rocky terrain. The fact that said ledges or cracks are man made rather than being the geology of the Hymalayas and the fact we have banned posts of types of weed killers due to their toxic effects on wildlife means it’s not easy to keep on top of it.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Trog said:

The fact that the weeds are growing in the ballast at all, tells me that the track is overdue for reballasting.

Not so - while rebalsting may well remove the weeds, it won’t get rid of all the seeds nor prevent others from being blown in to restart the process afresh.

Railways across the UK (be they NR or Heritage ones) face the same dilemma - ‘contaminated’ ballast (yes weeds are no different from clay pumping up from below or mud from a land slip or oil build up from where trains stand for extensive periods) will always inhibit drainage  - but the most effective way of dealing with weeds (I.e. chemicaly destroying the seeds as they hit the ground) is banned. 

• Funny 1