APT Resurrection?

Crewlisle

It's been stated in a couple of places now that the new Hornby tooling has all been done in-House. DJM tried to sell his scan data etc but no-one wanted it.

There are a few major points to consider here regarding viability of an APT;

Hornby is a massive, well known brand - DJM was not.

Hornby is available in every model shop - DJM was not. 

Hornby is producing this risk free to the customer - DJM was not.

Hornby is producing this at a realistic price, comparable to HST sets - DJM was not 

I could go on, but Hornby is a more trusted company and is producing this APT at less than 70% of the DJM price.

If I recall the prices correctly, even those who lost money on the DJM effort will still be able to get a new Hornby APT (with loss included) cheaper than or equal in price to the crowdfunded cost of the DJM model

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Not criticising previous posts including this one but are we not sick of hearing the letters DJM and APT in the same sentence it’s as if he was genetically linked to train. I ordered one but got my cash back and feel sorry for those who didn’t. I hope the association Hornby brings to the APT is successful I will buy one but would never ever crowd fund again. It’s great to see a professional business producing this icon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, 60800 said:

It's been stated in a couple of places now that the new Hornby tooling has all been done in-House. DJM tried to sell his scan data etc but no-one wanted it.

There are a few major points to consider here regarding viability of an APT;

Hornby is a massive, well known brand - DJM was not.

Hornby is available in every model shop - DJM was not. 

Hornby is producing this risk free to the customer - DJM was not.

Hornby is producing this at a realistic price, comparable to HST sets - DJM was not 

I could go on, but Hornby is a more trusted company and is producing this APT at less than 70% of the DJM price.

If I recall the prices correctly, even those who lost money on the DJM effort will still be able to get a new Hornby APT (with loss included) cheaper than or equal in price to the crowdfunded cost of the DJM model

Cheers,

All that’s missing is the important thing ...people TRUST Hornby.......

One things going to be for certain...a full APT rake will look absolutely awesome careening around someone’s layout !

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

All that’s missing is the important thing ...people TRUST Hornby.......

:huh:

I could go on, but Hornby is a more trusted company 

• Agree 1

Cheers,

As one who is £248.99 out of pocket on the DJM APT I would just like to say thank you for pointing that out, it has taken a bit of the sting out of the loss and is an excellent point.

Plus we get the oddball coach thrown in for good measure if we start with the 7 coach set.

• Friendly/supportive 5

42 minutes ago, royaloak said:

As one who is £248.99 out of pocket on the DJM APT I would just like to say thank you for pointing that out, it has taken a bit of the sting out of the loss and is an excellent point.

Plus we get the oddball coach thrown in for good measure if we start with the 7 coach set.

I've just realised that my estimates were worked around the cost of the N gauge sets which were cheaper (a source of the OO gauge prices is no longer available) so the discrepancy is likely to be that the Hornby APT is only around 60% of the price of the DJM one, which is bonkers. 

The hit of £250 was more than I thought it was (£100 more as I jumped ship early on), but still with that hit I think you'll end up with a 7 car set for less!

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, royaloak said:

After losing £248.99 I would like to genetically link an APT model to Mr Jones via one of his available 'entrances', well its normally an exit but I am sure you can work out what I mean! ;)

With or without the tilting mechanism ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, 60800 said:

I've just realised that my estimates were worked around the cost of the N gauge sets which were cheaper (a source of the OO gauge prices is no longer available) so the discrepancy is likely to be that the Hornby APT is only around 60% of the price of the DJM one, which is bonkers. 

The hit of £250 was more than I thought it was (£100 more as I jumped ship early on), but still with that hit I think you'll end up with a 7 car set for less!

Cheers,

i think it was just under a £1000 for a 14 car set.

• Informative/Useful 1

There is now a new 'Hornby APT' thread running since Monday's announcement, which is here

Now that the APT-P been 'resurrected' (as per this thread's title) perhaps it's time to close this thread?

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 19.19.13.png

Edited by Mel_H
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's the second request for this thread to be closed.  To give a contra view, I (not a Mod btw) think it should stay open for as long as it attracts posts, complies with the rules and does not become a duplicate of the other thread.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
To remove unnecessary sarcasm
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/01/2020 at 18:24, 60800 said:

That's an interesting point. I was fortunate enough to get a refund from my bank, however I have spent that and more purchasing 2nd hand Hornby APTs on E Bay for a cut and shut project to build a 10 car set.

Now my dilemma is do I 

(a) stick to my cut and shut plan and ignore the new Hornby model

(b) sell my APTs on E Bay, probably at a loss, and get the new Hornby model.

or

(c) Do cut and.shut and get a new Hornby model.

Something to ponder.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

That's the second wannabe moderator asking for this thread to be closed.  To give a countra view, I (not a Mod btw) think it should stay open for as long as it attracts posts, complies with the rules and does not become a duplicate of the other thread.

I don't want to be a Mod! It was just a polite suggestion...

• Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

That's an interesting point. I was fortunate enough to get a refund from my bank, however I have spent that and more purchasing 2nd hand Hornby APTs on E Bay for a cut and shut project to build a 10 car set.

Now my dilemma is do I 

(a) stick to my cut and shut plan and ignore the new Hornby model

(b) sell my APTs on E Bay, probably at a loss, and get the new Hornby model.

or

(c) Do cut and.shut and get a new Hornby model.

Something to ponder.

Hi Colin,

What you could do is what I am considering and build some of the might have been versions from your collected bits and buy a nice new one for best so to speak. You could construct some of the following; DAV4, EDP4, EDP3/1 and FV3 and make all sorts of configurations and start lots of discussions on this thread about how a made up thing isn't quite right or something !

http://www.apt-p.com/APTConfigurations.htm

Should I take this course of action then I shall retain the best of what I have as an original five car set.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gibbo that is an idea worth considering. If I make up one of the longer "might have been" sets I could maybe settle for a shorter (cheaper) new version.

I was also considering an alternative "might have been" such as applying a later livery, or even if the withdrawn set had been purchased by NIR or Irish Rail. It could look good in one of their liveries.

1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Gibbo that is an idea worth considering. If I make up one of the longer "might have been" sets I could maybe settle for a shorter (cheaper) new version.

I was also considering an alternative "might have been" such as applying a later livery, or even if the withdrawn set had been purchased by NIR or Irish Rail. It could look good in one of their liveries.

Hi Colin,

An Idea I had for liveries would either be HST style Blue & Grey or the APT-E Silver and Blue livery with gas turbine power cars placed at the ends instead in the middle. Who knows what crazy nonsense I shall dream up.

Gibbo.

• Like 1