Etched Chassis for LMS D1666 Opens

Guest WM183

Guest WM183

Hi folks.

I am having a lot of trouble finding 4mm chassis kits for either 1666 or 1667 LMS 5 plank opens - they are independent brakes and not RCH, correct? Can anyone point me toward the correct chassis for these? Thanks much!

Amanda

On 16/06/2019 at 21:12, WM183 said:

Hi folks.

I am having a lot of trouble finding 4mm chassis kits for either 1666 or 1667 LMS 5 plank opens - they are independent brakes and not RCH, correct? Can anyone point me toward the correct chassis for these? Thanks much!

Amanda

Hello Amanda 

According to Volume 1 of Essery & Morgan, D1666 was a 1923 all-wood EX-MR design. D1666 was an all-steel equivalent. Both were 9ft wheelbase, with what looks like 4 leaf springs and split oil boxes. Both Diagrams are described as being "..... provided with double handbrakes." 

I would suggest that your best option is the PECO version 

https://peco-uk.com/products/9-ft-wheelbase-ln-wr-lms-wagon-underframe-kit

Cheers 

Jan

If you know someone who is a member of the S4 Society or can get to Railwells or Scaleforum you could get the Craig Welsh wooden underframe etch. Alternatively, have you checked Eileen's Emporium for  Bill Bedford's range? I'm not sure if they have the exact chassis, but they will have axleguards and brakegear. Rumney Model's axleboxes and Lanarkshire Models buffers to suit!

Edited by Meld9003
spelling!

Guest WM183

Hi Meld, 

I wound up ordering brake gear from Eileen's, axleboxes and springs from Rumney, and buffers from Lanarkshire! I can live with the plastic solebar mouldings on these ones!

All the best,

Amanda

• RMweb Gold
On 20/06/2019 at 00:45, Jan said:

D1666 was a 1923 all-wood EX-MR design. D1666 was an all-steel equivalent.

Just a correction on your typo, it is the D1667 that has the steel underframe.

On 16/06/2019 at 21:12, WM183 said:

they are independent brakes and not RCH, correct?

Correct, independent either side brakes.