Hornby switch wires - replacement?

john new

• RMweb Gold

Sorting through my bits box I have found four of the black passing contact switches (5 needed for the build in progress layout) but have lost over the years the wires that had the Tri-ang/Hornby shaped brass ends on them for fitting into the in and out holes.

I will need one more switch, buying that will presumably supply the necessary feed for the "in" end of the block of five and one set of outs. Are just these leads obtainable as spares from anywhere? (Or is there a substitute?)

My google searches have proven fruitless, as has a look on Pete's spares website. However, that may be down to using the wrong search terms. Hoping to find some as around £30-40 to replace the four I have with new substitutes just due to the lost wires issue will be annoying. Would prefer levers to stud-probe, the obvious alternative.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, john new said:

Sorting through my bits box I have found four of the black passing contact switches (5 needed for the build in progress layout) but have lost over the years the wires that had the Tri-ang/Hornby shaped brass ends on them for fitting into the in and out holes.

I will need one more switch, buying that will presumably supply the necessary feed for the "in" end of the block of five and one set of outs. Are just these leads obtainable as spares from anywhere? (Or is there a substitute?)

My google searches have proven fruitless, as has a look on Pete's spares website. However, that may be down to using the wrong search terms. Hoping to find some as around £30-40 to replace the four I have with new substitutes just due to the lost wires issue will be annoying. Would prefer levers to stud-probe, the obvious alternative.

I think that I may have one of those switches somewhere that you can have.

The metal plugs are a fairly standard electrical item that you should be able to find. I may even have some of those.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that I may have one of those switches somewhere that you can have.

The metal plugs are a fairly standard electrical item that you should be able to find. I may even have some of those.

Wow, that was quick and thank you. Any idea what make/part number they are if getting from elsewhere?

I will be in the Gaugemaster shop next week on way back from a trip to the RHDR so will try them.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Hornby still sell those switches

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/passing-contact-switch.html

now that tooling has paid for itself!

Fully concur. So sad that so much of their old tooling got trashed. 

My problem, I need one extra switch, but the leads for five. I'm sure in the old days when stuff was made in Margate you could have rung up for a bespoke order and had some sent from their stores supply: with everything now made and pre-packed in China there won't be a local store bin of parts in the UK. Change is always change, it isn't always progress. If all else fails will have to experiment to find the hole size and then make some up using brass rod or split tube of the right diameter. 

With the new layout being swappable between DC and DCC depending on the controller that is connected I was going for a row of on/off switches and a lever frame for point selection at the front of the fiddle yard sidings and a separate vertical signal box diagram at the back - so no obvious place for the stud and probe option. 

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, stonesboy said:

Hi

Try searching for X8011 on eBay.

All you then need is to attach the wire and away you go.

I hope that is what your looking for. 

That seems to be the right part number. Thank you.