Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Gresley A0 Pacific a.k.a Gordon

Not sure this is thew right place to ask this, but it seems to be neither a solely model or solely prototype question so here goes:

I've been following several developments of the so called Gresley A0 Pacific that seems to be so popular in the online community.  I think it's a fascinating subject and have several books with line drawings or weight diagrams of proposed Pacific designs dating from 1915, 1920 and on-wards, however, I cannot find any that represent what most people have modelled so I am wondering if this is because there is something I have yet to see, or if people have taken a little bit of modellers license, in co-ordination with the writings of the Rev. W. Audry.

From what I can tell, most of the modelled A0's seem to follow the 1915 outline in the loose sense, but using the overall wheelbase and, cylinder arrangement and boiler/cab form that Gresley settled on for his Pacifics.  Why is this?

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps because RTR chassis for A1/A3 and A4 pacifics are readily available and of pretty good quality.  Gordon is probably a pretty good starting place for the overall appearance, and the RHDR locos may be worth looking at as well, but I would imagine that a loco built in 1915 would have a GN type without the side windows, rather like a K3, and possibly a 'normal', as opposed to Wooton, firebox; basically a stretched GN Atlantic.  It might not even have outside Walschearts.

Which begs the question of what RTR chassis might be used if the Gresley pacific is the wrong length.  

The history of this concept is kind of complicated.

When Rev W. Awdry first started writing the Railway Series books, the engines were just meant to be broad "types" of locomotive. A Pacific, an Atlantic, a 4-4-0 etc. But the early artists weren't so good at technical stuff, so the engines tended to look unprototypical and often changed from illustration to illustration. From Henry the Green Engine onwards, all characters were based on real locomotive classes to avoid this. With later illustrators, Awdry would send them photos of his own models of the characters. His Gordon was a Triang Princess hacked about a bit to produce something like a Gresley A1.

Fast forward to the 1980s, and Awdry published a book out of the extensive notes he and his brother George made on the Island of Sodor. This included histories of all the locomotives. Easy enough with characters like Toby and Oliver, who have clear prototypes. Not so easy with characters like Edward and Percy, who don't look much like anything specific. In the case of Gordon, the "A0" story (not referred to as such in the book) was simply a means of explaining how an A1-looking Pacific with the frames, wheels and motion of a Princess wound up on Sodor. The GNR built a prototype Pacific so secret it doesn't even appear in their records, then sold it to the Fat Controller, who later had it rebuilt under Stanier.

Modellers now tend to use the story as a starting point for their own ideas and research as to what such an engine might look like.

Edited by HonestTom
I have a compulsive need to edit things. I'm seeking help for it.
  • Thanks 1