New Lenz LH101-R Wireless Throttle

• RMweb Gold

Lenz have announced a development of their latest throttle, namely a wireless version of the LH101 called the LH101-R. It connects to a new radio transmitter module LTM101 which is presumably plugged into an Xpressnet port. Availability is 2020 and details are on the A&H web-site. Product id is 21103. 

https://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/21103--radio-hand-controller-lh101-r-and-ltm101-receiver-60137-p.asp

• Informative/Useful 1

From Lenz (dodgy Google translation).......

The call for a wireless handheld controller from Lenz / Digital Plus was hard to miss.

We have responded and bring the LH101 in a wireless version as LH101-R.

Wireless hand controller LH101-R

The new wireless hand controller LH101-R from Digital plus is identical in functionality and operation with the hand controller LH101.

Connection to control via XpressNet with the radio receiver LTM101.

Up to 4 radio handheld controllers LH101-R can be operated on one LTM101 radio receiver.

The radio technology is developed in collaboration with the company Massoth.

Power is supplied by 2 AA batteries.

Digital plus handheld controller and the fast, reliable XpressNet

Hand controllers are the typical input devices of the system, because manual operation is still the strongest field of application of digital control.

The wireless handheld controllers can be disconnected and reconnected during operation by the XpressNet if appropriate XpressNet LA152 sockets are installed.

The last selected locomotive address is immediately displayed again when it is plugged into the XpressNet again.

Simultaneous use of up to 31 devices, no restrictions on access to the locomotives, each radio hand controller on the XpressNet has equal rights. 

All radio hand controllers have the option of  turnout switching.

The wireless hand controller LH101-R has the same ease of use as the LH101

The new wireless hand controller from Digital plus - an input device for the fast XpressNet.

New, like the LH101:

finely graduated, precise knob

Two driving modes selectable: normal or maneuvering mode

Storage of various routes in the hand controller

Choice of club mode

Adjustment of display brightness and contrast

The well-tried remains:

9,999 addresses for digital locomotives

Address "0" for an analogue loco * Attention! Important NOTE !  (below)

Enter the locomotive address via the numeric keypad

quick change to the previously controlled locomotive with just one button

Stack for quick selection of 8 freely selectable loco addresses in connection with the control panel

LZV100 up to 29 functions (F0 to F28) can be addressed in corresponding locomotive receivers

Each decoder function can be set as continuous or torque function

Display of the function in the display

Synchronous control of several locomotives in double or multiple traction with separate address when using feedback-capable switching receiver

Display of the actual point position

Display of the state of the inputs on feedback blocks LR101

Programming the parameters of locomotive decoders on the main track (PoM)

Switching option for up to 1,024 points, signals, accessories and other accessories

Item No. 21102, Wireless handset controller LH101-R

Item No. 21103, Wireless handset controller LH101-R with LTM101 Radio Receiver

[Note: To use the LH101-R, you need a Digital plus Central Unit LZV200 or a LVZ100 with software version 3.6;

Find out how to achieve an update to 3.6 here.]

The new wireless hand controller:

The new radio hand controller LH101-R can do everything important **,  which also the proven LH100 can do already - and, of course, everything that the LH101 can do.

We value the high level of user-friendliness and, for the sake of safety and ease of use, prefer to dispense with equipment that is more suitable for a smartphone.

The LH101-R also has a large, backlit LCD display, where you can find all the information you need for control.

You can quickly and easily set up a new locomotive address with just a few key inputs.

With the ESC button, you can switch back to the previously controlled loco with lightning speed.

The locos, which are stored in one of the 8 fast memory locations (the so-called "stack"), can be quickly and easily selected using the rotary control.

(** For the LH101-R we omitted the 14 speed steps and the programming in "register mode", because this is only necessary for very old decoders.)

(* Important note for the use of analog locos!

Conventional (analogue) locomotives used on systems controlled by Digital plus by Lenz® generate a loud whistling sound.

This is normal because DCC permanently has a rapidly changing voltage on the track that is not processed by a locomotive decoder in a conventional (analog) locomotive, but is applied directly to the engine.

This voltage form is not suitable for locomotives with bell-armature motors, e.g. Faulhaber motors.

Locomotives with these motors are only allowed to be driven with decoders fitted on digital systems.

Without a locomotive decoder these motors would be damaged or destroyed by overheating within a short time.

There are a few motor types that have the same limitations as bell anchor motors.

If in doubt please ask the manufacturer of the locomotive.)

• RMweb Gold

That is what I have assumed. It would make no sense to have two different options available. But then again, over 3000 modellers have swapped their LH100 for the LH101, and at the moment there's no information on whether the LH101 can be upgraded or exchanged. 

I have been seriously thinking about replacing my LH100 with the LH101 but will now hold off until the LH101-R is available. In reality though, most of my interaction with the layout is through the TC screen rather than the throttle. 

I did ordered a Xpressnet LA152 for the future of the new throttle.

I have still LZV100 and this system will work fine for the LH101-R too.

• RMweb Gold

Seems like this new throttle will not come cheap.  Pre-order prices on some of the German websites are quoting an RRP of €299 for the throttle + wireless LTM101, plus €239 for additional LH101-Rs (you can have 4 of these attached to an LTM101). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2019 at 16:36, RFS said:

Seems like this new throttle will not come cheap.  Pre-order prices on some of the German websites are quoting an RRP of €299 for the throttle + wireless LTM101, plus €239 for additional LH101-Rs (you can have 4 of these attached to an LTM101). 

Of course it does cost a lot!

It depends cooperate with the Massoth and they are expensive.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Can anyone please let me have pros and cons between this and a Digitrax DT602 Throttle ?

Ideally I would be able to try both systems for myself, but given the current Covid circumstances this has not

been possible.

I have tried a friends Z21 and whilst I like the loco’s being shown on screen along with icons for

sound functions, the lack of physical control knob and problems with WiFi have ruled this out.

With thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This throttle is well worth the wait. Set up the receiver on to one of my LA152's, switched on the layout and then the throttle and started running trains straight away. Took me around 1.1/2 hours to set up all my routes on the throttle. Then I sat in the middle of the layout and ran trains! Just need to get used to moving around the layout and knowing there's no cable attached to the throttle. The controls are exactly the same as the LH101, so if you already use one of these, the operation will be straight forward. You will need to change the language over from Germany to English for a start.

Definitely worth the wait, I had to order mine from Germany so it only has the German software, but if anyone knows how to change to English please let me know, I can't find it in the German instructions.

Very happy with the performance as it works straight from the box and up to 40m from the receiver. Definitely 'plug and play'.

Small bump on the back that holds the batteries but it fits nicely into the palm of my hand.

IMG_5448 (2).jpg

IMG_5449 (2).jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave said:

Definitely worth the wait, I had to order mine from Germany so it only has the German software, but if anyone knows how to change to English please let me know, I can't find it in the German instructions.

Try this: press M, turn knob to "setup LH101" and press knob. Turn again to "sprachauswahl", press knob and then turn to "select language English". Press knob again and you're through. 

If that doesn't work then it doesn't have English yet, which was how the original LH101 was first shipped.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info, worked first time.

Still very pleased with the controller, it's wonderful not having to plug and unplug all the time when moving around the layout.

Regards Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Just so Lenz users are aware, there is slight change in the key actions if you are using the latest LZV200 V4.0 and the LH101/101-R throttles running V2.1. If you use RailCom in order to turn it on and off, or reset the track voltage, you need to use a certain key sequence. First click the "loco" key and then the "M" key. Rotate the black knob until you call up the POM command, then press the black knob. Enter the value "50" into CV7, but confirm this with the "loco" key and not the black knob, and then the lower red LED should double flash. Then click the big "arrow" key to clear the value 50. You then have 15 seconds to enter the appropriate value into CV7 to either change the voltage or turn on or off RailCom. Once you enter the value use the "loco" key again to confirm. Then press the ESC key to return. Hope that helps with this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

Just so Lenz users are aware, there is slight change in the key actions if you are using the latest LZV200 V4.0 and the LH101/101-R throttles running V2.1. If you use RailCom in order to turn it on and off, or reset the track voltage, you need to use a certain key sequence. First click the "loco" key and then the "M" key. Rotate the black knob until you call up the POM command, then press the black knob. Enter the value "50" into CV7, but confirm this with the "loco" key and not the black knob, and then the lower red LED should double flash. Then click the big "arrow" key to clear the value 50. You then have 15 seconds to enter the appropriate value into CV7 to either change the voltage or turn on or off RailCom. Once you enter the value use the "loco" key again to confirm. Then press the ESC key to return. Hope that helps with this.

Crikey!

Absolutely no DCC system should require that sort of archaic process in 2021.

It should be a simple selection within a settings menu, with the option of ON or OFF.

Similarly a simple menu selection for a voltage change.

I think that this somewhat arcane method of undertaking a simple task shows that Lenz is becoming less and less relevant in the DCC market. A company that was once a leader, providing so much of the innovation that we now rely upon, has relegated itself to an historic curiosity.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Which is one of the reasons I've ditched Lenz and gone for the Z21. I can now turn Railcom on and off via a couple of mouse clicks on the PC via the Z21 Maintenance Tool. Really does make the Lenz look pretty primitive, not to mention charging €75 for a firmware upgrade ...

None the less the Lenz DCC systems are pretty solid and reliable if you don't want a complicated system, and one of the reasons why all my Lenz kit has sold for good prices on Ebay. I have however kept my LH101 throttle as that's one item that is really excellent, and works really well with the Z21.

Edited by RFS
  • Informative/Useful 2