Kleine Albula - RhB HOm

Crocodile414

Just now, PaulRhB said:

Are they fixed or free to move sideways, how do they perform on crossovers fitted like that? I’ve used the Dapol ones on my HOm HSB because they fitted the NEM pockets but they can’t do delayed uncoupling like the Microtrains ones. I’ve done similar to what you did fitting them to the RhB container wagons I’ve ‘moved’ to the HSB but I kept the Bemo shaft so they are sprung to the centre. 

They are fixed. I did buy the coupling pockets as well but haven't been able to mount them in the right position/height using them. However, this pair manage to go through all my pointwork with no issues and go round the corners fine which are about 14" / 360mm radius approximately.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A bit more progress over the last few days.....

The catenary in the tunnels has been installed at either end complete with a ramp to raise and lower the pantographs. This was quite a fiddly job with a lot of trial and error but we got there in the end. Thanks to my mate for making a 300 mile round trip on Sunday to teach me and help me do it. 

The landscaping is nearly there (apart from around the viaduct). I've also started to build the  road today and the level crossing. 

Following the successful test with the Dapol magentic couplings the front siding has also been properly laid and ballasted. 

Unfortunately there are too many things with glue/filler etc which are now drying and I will just end up disturbing if I carry on! 

More news soon!

DSC_0927.JPG

DSC_0926.JPG

DSC_0925.JPG

DSC_0936.JPG

DSC_0933.JPG

Edited by Crocodile414
replacing missing photos
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The overhead into the tunnel is a chew, I ended up soldering the overhead to section of rail shaped to the centre line of the track and following round at a 10 degree incline. I had a small tub of scrappy posts I bought well used to experiment with and used 4 of those as supports in the end.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I just used thick brass wire bent into hoops in hidden places and I suppose you could do the same with some scrap rail too. Easy to solder to ;) 

I need to have a proper test run. The layout is currently split due to the scenic work being carried out. Once I've run some locos under their own power I'll be able to be certain if I need to make any changes. I'll keep you all posted! 

• RMweb Premium

I used 2mm brass tube on my layouts, light, easy to bend, easy to solder and much stronger than any scale overhead line. last but not least: it comes in 1 meter length. See here a test with my nasty little shunter - if the overhead line is ok for this one, all other locos will have secure contact (doesn't need to be this one - any loco with a central pantograph is "nasty" if it comes to pole distance)

42239828132_a8712a4e62_b.jpg20180522_210658 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

A little bit more progress to share with you. Landscaping around the tunnel has commenced although as you can see its still very much a work in progress. I'm hoping to complete this section this week and then at least 1 board will be ready for plaster bandaging. 

I've also been doing a lot of painting on the station building which is nearing completion now - I will post a picture when it's complete. 

Hope you're all keeping well. 

Best Regards, Nick 

DSC_0977.JPG

Edited by Crocodile414
replacing missing photos
  • Like 8

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick update tonight. Board 1 has had its first layer of plaster bandage today, more is on order to do another layer and the second board. 

I've temporarily run out of foam to complete the area around the viaduct but whilst that board has been taken down I've been tidying up the wiring underneath with cable ties and clips etc. 

More news soon..... Hopefully! 

Nick 

DSC_0992.JPG

Edited by Crocodile414
replacing missing photos
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I hope you're all managing to survive the current situation as best as possible. 

A second layer of plaster bandage was applied to board 1 and this has given a lovely solid surface to work with - board 2 remains uncovered presently.

I made a start yesterday on the lighting gantry. I've managed to find enough softwood and 9mm ply offcuts for the two end pieces to hold the pelmut up - the first of which has been assembled and installed on the layout. The second one has been cut but has yet to be assembled. 

As I mentioned before, until I can get some more foam (or a suitable equivalent) I'm slightly stuck with making any further progress so I've been using the time to weather the coaching stock for my British layout, St Kenvince (see RM March 2020). 

Hopefully Wales will ease its restrictions slightly soon and I can crack on again.

Stay safe and keep well,

Cheers, Nick

DSC_1027.JPG

DSC_1026.JPG

• Like 7

Very nice work.

I too am currently trying to finish a rock retaining wall that the RhB is going to run on. Most of the rest of the wall is finished except this 8' section. Two layers of plaster cloth have dried, and the Sculptimold layer for forming the rock is next. I hope to get to that this Tuesday when  my holiday starts for a week.

eO5iaNo.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichaelE said:

Very nice work.

I too am currently trying to finish a rock retaining wall that the RhB is going to run on. Most of the rest of the wall is finished except this 8' section. Two layers of plaster cloth have dried, and the Sculptimold layer for forming the rock is next. I hope to get to that this Tuesday when  my holiday starts for a week.

eO5iaNo.jpg

Looks like you've made excellent progress so far, look forward to seeing your progress 

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the lack of updates lately. Lockdown has caused some difficulties with obtaining materials. I've also been weathering my British stock which has taken up a lot of time. 

I'm now on the final section of landscaping around the viaduct. I've cut some very basic pieces so far but I'm waiting for the glue to dry before I go in for a heavy attack carving it all into shape. 

Hopefully I'll have some more developments in the not too distant future. 

Cheers, Nick

DSC_1071.JPG

Edited by Crocodile414
replacing missing photos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Just a thought but you could do away with the curved arm mast and use the tension mast instead. 
1583DF5D-EAC3-4362-B9C0-AF53656D87FA.jpeg.b62c72841dfea94571abd48dc5029291.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to see how it all fits once the wires actually start going up. I'll keep you posted!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Landscaping is slowly continuing around the viaduct. I've found this a particularly challenging area to shape but hopefully this board will be ready for plaster bandaging soon. 

Hope every one is safe and well. 

Nick 

DSC_1092.JPG

Edited by Crocodile414
  • Like 5

Don't you find it difficult to work around installed masts?

I have always waited until scenery was completed before installing catenary. It's a lot easier without having to work around it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I sometimes have the masts installed before the scenery - especially if they are of the screw-in type. You need access from below, which isn't always possible on ramps after the scenery is done. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, MichaelE said:

Don't you find it difficult to work around installed masts?

I have always waited until scenery was completed before installing catenary. It's a lot easier without having to work around it.

3 hours ago, Vecchio said:

I sometimes have the masts installed before the scenery - especially if they are of the screw-in type. You need access from below, which isn't always possible on ramps after the scenery is done. 

I installed the masts first for two reasons - firstly I wanted to make sure the full size plan translated to the board, and secondly as Vecchio alludes to - it's a lot easier to do the nuts up on the threads underneath prior to the scenery going in. If I'd done it afterwards it'd be an absolute nightmare and a couple of places would most likely be inaccessible. I also needed to get the wire ramps up inside the tunnels as these are completely sealed now so touch wood I don't need to go back in there with a soldering iron! Apart from stabbing myself on the ends of the masts a few times, they haven't really gotten in the way (so far!). 

• Like 1

Board 2 received its first layer of plaster bandage tonight. The second layer will have to wait for a few day though as I'm not confident I've got enough do it so I've ordered a few more rolls. 

Next job after the plaster bandaging will be back to completing the station car park and the remaining road surface down underneath the viaduct.

Cheers, Nick

DSC_1094.JPG

Edited by Crocodile414
replacing missing photos
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon All,

After waiting 11 days for my additional plaster bandage to arrive, it was soon put to use and board 2 now matches board 1. 

After not having run anything for several months and my new heritage coaches arriving from Winco a few weeks ago, I felt it was time to set the layout up and have a running session - it's just under a year since the last video.  

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers, Nick

• Like 15