Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

LNER J50 : holes in the tanks and a new bunker.

So this is something I've been slowly working away at in recent weeks. The chassis still needs some work before it's ready to ride the rails but I have completed most of the structural work over the last few days.  Just the wheel splashers and boiler bottom to make for the holes in the tanks.  Then I need to acquire a new set of safety valves and the correct whistle, fit the lamp irons and grab rails.  Might look for a replacement chimney too.

This will be my primary shunting engine on my Barnsley Exchange station layout that is currently receiving lots of attention in terms of planning.

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I think that's one of my Chassis's ?  did it go as expected ?

The chassis itself has been very good. It's actually my second, the first I made a mess off by trying to adapt it for CSB, but this time I went with simple compensation, which, has been much more successful. It's a really simple chassis and the principle could be used for so many conversions that its got me thinking about drawing up and commissioning some etches myself for similar applications.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I've looked at CSB but never used any, I just use either a rigid chassis or compensated/beam. 

Drawing up your own is simple with a good drawing. Before sending off for etching I cut a set on the Silhouette and try it first, it's much cheaper than spending money on a redraw as each time means a new set up cost.

I have seen sight of some 3D printed parts to compliment the Lima body (Chimney, tank fillers etc), but I'm not sure whether they'll be available commercially.

• Informative/Useful 2

A really nice upgrade, Traintresta. I think I've got an old Lima one and wouldn't mind giving it a go sometime. 

6 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Thanks, I've looked at CSB but never used any, I just use either a rigid chassis or compensated/beam. 

Drawing up your own is simple with a good drawing. Before sending off for etching I cut a set on the Silhouette and try it first, it's much cheaper than spending money on a redraw as each time means a new set up cost.

I have seen sight of some 3D printed parts to compliment the Lima body (Chimney, tank fillers etc), but I'm not sure whether they'll be available commercially.

Hi Dave, I was interested in what you were saying with regard to designing a chassis and sending off for etching. Who do you use for etching and how expensive is it?  For some time, I've had in mind to replace the Bachmann O4 chassis in a number of O4s with a new scratch or etched chassis (probably re-using the cylinders). It's definitely something I'd like to look into.  I haven't got a silhouette cutter but it sounds like this was really helpful in finalising the drawing for the etches.

1 hour ago, Clem said:

A really nice upgrade, Traintresta. I think I've got an old Lima one and wouldn't mind giving it a go sometime. 

Hi Dave, I was interested in what you were saying with regard to designing a chassis and sending off for etching. Who do you use for etching and how expensive is it?  For some time, I've had in mind to replace the Bachmann O4 chassis in a number of O4s with a new scratch or etched chassis (probably re-using the cylinders). It's definitely something I'd like to look into.  I haven't got a silhouette cutter but it sounds like this was really helpful in finalising the drawing for the etches.

Clem, I'm looking at the GCR class 8A (LNER Q4) which uses the same coupled wheelbase and cylinder arrangement. Fortunately my dad has a card cutter that I can use to check them on, maybe it's something we could look at together since a lot of the drawings will be very similar?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clem, I've been lucky in having advice from Dan Pinnock (D&S) and Mike Trice to get me started, I draw in Inkscape which uses .svg but this isn't suitable for etching so I convert to a pdf and send that off to PPD in Scotland and they are able to work with it.  In MRJ there was an etching guide (I've scanned and can send to you) which will give you some help but different etchers have different 'rules' so best to check their artwork guides first.

If you haven't got a Silhouette then you could print the artwork as a pdf and stick it to some plasticard or card and cut it out by hand. I find this invaluable as you can check any tabs or cutouts and how it will fit the underside of the loco. I have printed all the parts for a 4mm loco (Shannon/WTC No5 -my first loco) and built it in plastic first, which gave me quite a few tiny alterations which would have meant new artwork if I had gone straight to etch.

Cost - difficult one to answer, there is a minimum size and cost as well as different materials and thicknesses. It also depends on how much work PPD have to do to make the artwork suitable for etching. I've managed to get the cost of mine down to the minimum by prepping front and back drawings.

I am fortunate in that I make a lot of my items in a group of 4 people, 2 of which are very experienced 3D designers and printers, we share lots of info and make items for each other which keeps the costs down. For example the last etched sheet I did had 2 loco chassis for a GN 2-4-0  (inc tender) some O gauge W irons, a simple motor mount (2) and some handrails for a Barnum coach.  Doing it this way it uses up all the 'spare' space and cuts down on the artwork and postage costs. I also have an early GN Pullman on the bench at present which was in the same order, this meant the postage (£15)  is shared across several items.

The reason I started etching was because modelling the GN meant nothing was available (a few items but not much) so it has come out of necessity, although luckily I really enjoy the drawing and research.

Hope this helps. 

https://www.ppdltd.com

https://www.ppdltd.com/artwork-guide.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Traintresta said:

maybe it's something we could look at together since a lot of the drawings will be very similar?

That is exactly how my first loco Shannon/Wantage Tramway No 5 came about. I worked with Robin Gay (Rolvenden) as we both wanted it although the versions we wanted were 90 years apart.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

That is exactly how my first loco Shannon/Wantage Tramway No 5 came about. I worked with Robin Gay (Rolvenden) as we both wanted it although the versions we wanted were 90 years apart.

Not being familiar with the loco, were there many differences?

I'm look in mostly at GCR modela and although there are some in development that I'm keeping a weather eye on, I've been keen to do something like this for a while so have just kind of stumbled into it lately. Something that I could coloborate on would interest me as I could help someone else do the same and both get what we want so this is a good suggestion.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Traintresta said:

Not being familiar with the loco, were there many differences?

Yes, but the basic loco didn't change. What was added was a cab and brake gear.  We had a good set of drawings for the later version and an early line drawing from her 1855 build date. I prepared the artwork from the later drawing as this gave the cab etc and then backdated it by altering the simple cab sheets she had at build. On the etch were all the parts to make either version.

Shannon:Jane_Etch_description._copy.jpg.bcf56306cb489d600e0f42ba9e756b95.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Traintresta said:

Clem, I'm looking at the GCR class 8A (LNER Q4) which uses the same coupled wheelbase and cylinder arrangement. Fortunately my dad has a card cutter that I can use to check them on, maybe it's something we could look at together since a lot of the drawings will be very similar?

That sounds quite promising. Have you got a drawing? It'd be nice if it can be mutually beneficial. It could be that a removable front section could be added to suit the O4 which could be cut back for the Q4?

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

Hi Clem, I've been lucky in having advice from Dan Pinnock (D&S) and Mike Trice to get me started, I draw in Inkscape which uses .svg but this isn't suitable for etching so I convert to a pdf and send that off to PPD in Scotland and they are able to work with it.  In MRJ there was an etching guide (I've scanned and can send to you) which will give you some help but different etchers have different 'rules' so best to check their artwork guides first.

If you haven't got a Silhouette then you could print the artwork as a pdf and stick it to some plasticard or card and cut it out by hand. I find this invaluable as you can check any tabs or cutouts and how it will fit the underside of the loco. I have printed all the parts for a 4mm loco (Shannon/WTC No5 -my first loco) and built it in plastic first, which gave me quite a few tiny alterations which would have meant new artwork if I had gone straight to etch.

Cost - difficult one to answer, there is a minimum size and cost as well as different materials and thicknesses. It also depends on how much work PPD have to do to make the artwork suitable for etching. I've managed to get the cost of mine down to the minimum by prepping front and back drawings.

I am fortunate in that I make a lot of my items in a group of 4 people, 2 of which are very experienced 3D designers and printers, we share lots of info and make items for each other which keeps the costs down. For example the last etched sheet I did had 2 loco chassis for a GN 2-4-0  (inc tender) some O gauge W irons, a simple motor mount (2) and some handrails for a Barnum coach.  Doing it this way it uses up all the 'spare' space and cuts down on the artwork and postage costs. I also have an early GN Pullman on the bench at present which was in the same order, this meant the postage (£15)  is shared across several items.

The reason I started etching was because modelling the GN meant nothing was available (a few items but not much) so it has come out of necessity, although luckily I really enjoy the drawing and research.

Hope this helps. 

https://www.ppdltd.com

https://www.ppdltd.com/artwork-guide.html

Hi Dave, I must admit to being very much in the dark over the etching process. Whenever I've need a chassis I've simply measured up the RTR chassis and scratch built from 14mm or similar brass strip, cut to shape. However I have a number of Bachmann O4s in stock to convert and although I have converted a couple to EM using the Bachmann chassis and they simply don't run as well as my old K's O4 with a scratch built chassis. I'd like to do the same for the Bachmann WD and the  J11 but this isn't so pressing as I have a couple of DJH WDs to build.  Nice to hear of a GN man making models of E1s, Dave. What period exactly are you modelling?

PS Thanks for the PPD links. 

Edited by Clem
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Clem said:

What period exactly are you modelling?

Approx 1900, although this is 'fluid' as I love the grace and style of the early loco's and stock.

16 minutes ago, Clem said:

I must admit to being very much in the dark over the etching process

I thought it was a bit daunting to start with but soon realised it was very straightforward, it comes down to a really good drawing and being able to translate it to fit under a model. If you're able to scratchbuild them you're already half way there but instead of drawing onto sheet you're doing it electronically. 

Like anything I'd start with a simple tender sub frame or some detailing parts that require tabs or folding and see how you get on. 

I'll send the MRJ article to yourself and Traintresta shortly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Approx 1900, although this is 'fluid' as I love the grace and style of the early loco's and stock.

I thought it was a bit daunting to start with but soon realised it was very straightforward, it comes down to a really good drawing and being able to translate it to fit under a model. If you're able to scratchbuild them you're already half way there but instead of drawing onto sheet you're doing it electronically. 

Like anything I'd start with a simple tender sub frame or some detailing parts that require tabs or folding and see how you get on. 

I'll send the MRJ article to yourself and Traintresta shortly.

Could I possibly ask for a copy as well please?

1 hour ago, Clem said:

That sounds quite promising. Have you got a drawing? It'd be nice if it can be mutually beneficial. It could be that a removable front section could be added to suit the O4 which could be cut back for the Q4?

Hi Dave, I must admit to being very much in the dark over the etching process. Whenever I've need a chassis I've simply measured up the RTR chassis and scratch built from 14mm or similar brass strip, cut to shape. However I have a number of Bachmann O4s in stock to convert and although I have converted a couple to EM using the Bachmann chassis and they simply don't run as well as my old K's O4 with a scratch built chassis. I'd like to do the same for the Bachmann WD and the  J11 but this isn't so pressing as I have a couple of DJH WDs to build.  Nice to hear of a GN man making models of E1s, Dave. What period exactly are you modelling?

PS Thanks for the PPD links. 

Clem, I'll message you so we can talk details but i do have some GCR drawings, more on the way so we shiuld be able to get this rolling easily enough.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

The Q4 is in my list of etches to be produced, I'll need one for Wentworth Junction.

If I had known that I wouldn't have picked it.  I'll wait for your version, along with your EM1, C14(?) :-)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 18/06/2019 at 17:11, Michael Edge said:

The Q4 is in my list of etches to be produced, I'll need one for Wentworth Junction.

Hi Michael,

I'll put in a bid for one of your Q4's as well please...  How far down your list is it?

Cheers,

Frank 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's next on the GC drawing list, C14 is now finished, just need to do production etches. I really should get a move on with the EM1 though, at this rate the layout will be finished before I have any electric locos (apart from 26510).

• Like 2