WR terminus no more ! Oh no, it’s going to be a depot....

rob D2

Hi,

Thought I’d start to document my latest plank.

Edit - it’s no longer at the seaside. I couldn’t enthuse myself to model the sea. What is lighting my fire is urban grot and the idea of a depot down on its luck in the 90s.

I’m hoping for a dodgy location , well past it’s best, with piles of junk and scrap locos.......

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, andy stroud said:

Hi Rob. Looking at the track plan, the non-platform roads and sidings seem to be isolated from the rest of the layout. Have you missed out a crossover maybe.

Ha, you don’t miss much ...!

your not wrong, they are actually separate at present . The only stuff routinely in there would be a stabled loco or a 153 which would move across via loco lift. I may utilise a cassett on that road as well....or it may not work in practice and I’ll have to put another crossover in.

I was avoiding it due to the complexity of points in that area at present combined with buying more cobalts, but may have to revisit it. The FY track is mainly pinned down to enable messing about as required .

1 hour ago, briantwigley said:

Really interested in parcels stuff myself so looking forward to seeing progress :good:

Ryan

Here’s some of the stuff I have. The RM BG was quite hard to find , although Bachmann are reissuing them soon at an eye watering £41

852DF644-47F4-48D5-96C7-1A8ACA2CD717.jpeg

• Like 6

Gonna have to rework the track a bit.

ive always soldered feeds to fishplates in some spots and then put a bit of solder on each end of the fishplates to ensure electrical connectivity ( on the non visible side ), but of course , I’m worried the rails won’t be able to expand in those areas if they get hot. Never had an issue with it before as it lives in a spare room, but once these things are in your head....

also so will need a CB in the bus bars as a certain annoying bachy 47 keeps shorting On a set of points and when it does it knocks all the cobalt addresses out and I have to turn the boards over and reprogramme them !

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Looking very good Rob, I do like the era and Stock, and looking forward to watching the progress.

Thanks Andy, it all needs weathering , something I never seem to get to.....my progress will be akin to a glacier I fear !

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not a prolific updater, slow progress as I’m busy at work and the weather is good when I’m not.

I had to redo a lot of wiring and some sections of track as what I’d done was decidedly.......gash. I’d cut corners, and it showed.

so now it is better, and our harshest critic of baseboard joints seems satisfied. I hate making track level  at joints so  I cheat slightly by having 2 board ends balanced on one set of wooden supports to try and negate that issue as much as possible.

Im also using the staple and magnet system for uncoupling in the station platforms. It works quite well, but needs a fair bit of fettling. I’m not sure if it will be reliable long term, we will see.

D4EC91E2-9393-4171-9516-D7CE93C1C8DD.jpeg

3C77812A-C165-47BA-BC07-C853214E7F60.jpeg

46757A2B-0ADB-4AF4-9021-0CEE776469CF.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So having replaced some track, and installed two more point motors the scenic area track is pretty much done inc these last two sidings . I now need three more cobalts for the hidden point motors .

I’ve been doing some renumbering of 47s.  This one has become 47315 which was an old oak loco in 91 and actually made it to Plymouth on a parcels service that year. I’ll be using it for that and for engineers stuff.

I dont expect any much progress till September now due to holidays, hopefully that’ll be a month of backscenes and platforms 

407D89A7-9E31-46A5-80B0-96A9AC8CAA82.jpeg

40820C70-0341-4568-9B49-6DD10C6B0197.jpeg

• Like 6

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:06, rob D2 said:

Another one that was about like this in 91...

decals by railtec ( thanks Steve )

F2D44980-506D-449A-BC90-E85B83580C79.jpeg

Some very nice locos here Rob,

wil you be weathering them up soon..

4 hours ago, saxokid said:

Some very nice locos here Rob,

wil you be weathering them up soon..

Soon , may be too soon ! Eventually .....

im having issues with the paint on roof of 47631, see the thread “ class 47 frustrations “

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 07:53, rob D2 said:

Soon , may be too soon ! Eventually .....

im having issues with the paint on roof of 47631, see the thread “ class 47 frustrations “

Ile check that out now Rob...

Ok complete change of plan....see first entry.

Its going to be a depot ( oh god , no I hear you cry ).

ive almost finished laying the peco bullhead , I have one more siding and a cobalt to go.

The convincing depot building below shows where the running shed will be, I will make something generic but will use several sheds as inspiration.

the kick back sidings will be for CE or possibly short parcels stock.

fleet continues to grow, the CE fleet will eventually number 6. Three 37s and three 47s. Refinished 37274 with railtec numbers and the stripped 47 will become 47016.

D0D5F7AB-43FB-465B-BC8B-588D29C25D93.jpeg

8315F327-BD8A-4414-8C15-901DAD348314.jpeg

411F9F92-23B4-4B25-B893-DC00670D5282.jpeg