(Another) Goathland Layout

Beaks

Hi all,

After a couple of years of work, I've started this blog mainly for help, advice, to learn and develop in my modelling.

Like many, I have always been encapsulated with the charm of Goathland.  Is it the way time has seemingly stood still here for years?  The quiet serenity broken by the occasional sound of a steam train or the small and big screen fame?  Whatever it is, it has led to my building, at present, 3 different incarnations of the layout.  The first two attempts were scrapped due to house moves and other constraints.  Subsequent layouts based around North Yorkshire and the Esk Valley were started, but never progressed past track laying.  A visit to the UK and Goathland in 2016 however, cemented the interest and need to revisit - and complete - a Goathland layout.

With many other Goathland based inspirational layouts on here and across the web however, I wanted to try something a little different.  I could never achieve something comparable with the current Goathland layouts, so I decided to set about creating something a bit different.  A layout which, while may not be anywhere close to others offerings in terms of realism, but a layout which would showcase the best of my modelling skills and knowledge - even if it would mean ripping bits out and starting other areas from scratch if I felt I could do better.  As a change from the preservation scene and the help of a series of books, I would model Goathland as it would have appeared from 1958 until closure.

Below are a series of photos from initial conception, to where I am now.

20180129_151132.jpg

20170513_142641.jpg

20170603_075753.jpg

20180129_151106.jpg

20180130_165709.jpg

20180130_171151.jpg

• Like 7

Scenic work begins.  Hills are sculpted polystyrene, covered in plaster cloth.  River bed is plaster rocks, while the bank is built up with talus, painted and covered in treemendus autumn covering.  Trees are wire twisted following Gorden Gravett's method

20181201_172621.jpg

20181216_132121.jpg

20180803_220545.jpg

20181106_080847.jpg

20181106_081007.jpg

20181106_081034.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

there would have been (by then disused) stone crushing plant on the hillside behind the station, that was the original purpose of the sidings behind the water tower

you can see the signal box bottom left and the tower just off to the right

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7Lg0HFwkcXc/U5w1v-M2yYI/AAAAAAAABbg/j06gJ6Pxq4E/s1600/Sil-Howe-(Goathland)_25497.jpg

Can only agree with previous comments... what a fantastic layout and based on a wonderful prototype. You're making cracking progress and I look forward to seeing this project move forward. 

Those comparison photographs between the prototype and model are absolutely superb!

Can't wait to see more. Thanks for sharing :)

David