Options for London Underground tube stock in N gauge?

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I am reviving an old project that I must have started thick end of twenty years ago and became stalled partially through the lack of available decent looking stock in the required scale.

My original project made it as far as a decent looking mock up of an N scale platform area set in modern times of the long since abandoned King William Street station.

The project was abandoned mainly due to the lack of suitably available and or adaptable tube stock.

I found the pictures I took of the original Mk1 version of the build the other day although sadly nothing remains of the build itself as it was damaged beyond repair whilst in storage by my unbelievably clumsy parents.

So I want to start work on KGW Mk2  but again stock could be a potential stumbling block.

Is there anything suitable in the 3D print world for 1959 and or 1995 TS?  I know that some have used the Corgi tourist souvenir toy as a basis but to my eye they are too big, nearer 3mn scale.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Is there anything suitable in the 3D print world for 1959 and or 1995 TS?  I know that some have used the Corgi tourist souvenir toy as a basis but to my eye they are too big, nearer 3mn scale.

Have a look at this?

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ntrain?section=Underground&s=0

I've had some of his stuff and it's not bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

N-Train do a range of 3D printed kits including 1959 stock and 1992 stock as well as many others.

https://n-train.net/

I have built the 1959 stock (shown on my thread https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121014-oliversrs-n-gauge-underground-projects/).

I have have a few others from their range I’m working on which I find are very well designed 3D printed kits and easy to assemble.

OliverSR

Edited by OliverSR
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

By curious coincidence a Facebook post popped up this morning from N-Train showing off a proposed Northern Line 1995 stock car.

That should do very nicely!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been doing lots of sketching, head scratching, more sketching and a bit of playing around with various bits of card tube I have found and have worked out I can accommodate KWS Mk2 in N scale in three consecutive connected Foolscap boxfile so I am going to give it a go.

I have put an email enquiry into N-Train to establish availability of their 1959 TS 3D print but not heard anything back yet.

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I have put an email enquiry into N-Train to establish availability of their 1959 TS 3D print but not heard anything back yet.

On the N-Train Facebook page on 27/6/19 they posted to say the owner of N-Train Bob was in hospital and apologised as there would be a delay in orders.

Hopefully you will hear back once he is recovered.

OliverSR

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

On the verge of ordering a N-Train 1959TS set but the recommended chassis, the Tomytec TM-05R seems to be rarer than rocking horse droppings.  Any suggestions for an alternative please?

Oh dear, the out of stock TM-05R  is a problem, is it not? I see there are couple of expensive ones on eBay in the USA.

You may know that there is a list of dimensions of Tomytec motor bogies here:  www.trainweb.org/tomix/chassis_dim.htm 

There used to be a similar greenmax bogie, but I can't find that.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

An update on this project, a 1959 TS set as been ordered, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I will reassess motoring and wheeling options once the kit arrives, those Greenmax bogies look promising though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm assuming that in this particular alternative universe, the station wasn't converted to a secret operations centre? 

I've binge-read your novels again...

I would be very interested in seeing how the 59TS turns out - Tempted to get a set for my Grandfather, who models in N Gauge.

Edited by sem34090

• RMweb Premium

Early preview of my work in progress involving an awful lot of scratch building with foam board, sticky label paper, grain of wheat bulbs and toilet roll middles....

20191006_230801.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Given their seeming scarcity, I count myself extremely lucky to have come across a UK based Ebayer who was selling off a couple of the elusive TM-05 chassis the other day and after a very swift purchase (although I am already regretting not buying both of them now!) here is a test fit of the chassis underneath the N-Train 1959 TS middle car:

20191009_232922.jpg

20191009_232910.jpg

• 1 month later...