(Hornby A4) Few questions on bringing back to factory standard

Hi guys, managed to get hold of a blue LNER Mallard (R2339) as per request of my son and it being his favourite since he got into trains beyond Thomas & Friends. Went to ebay and struck lucky on a detailed version within collection distance, saw it running there and I've run it at home however there's a few of the delicate fiddly/dangly bits missing that I've now come to addressing. Granted it's for a 4 year old so a fair chance of further rough handling but I'm happy to replace what I can for now as part of my enjoyment whilst we have a joint hobby. So I've taken some pics of where the obvious issues are and I also have some photos from a review to go on, along with the Hornby service sheet and general instructions for an A4, but being far from expert please add anything else I've missed....

First the tender, I've learned that these are brake rods, one side is missing and one is partly detached. I'm not sure if the tabs can be glued back into the holes and are too fragile to take much trying so I've looked into replacements, which come as a set for each side along with the chassis bottom, so if I replace I might as well just replace the lot instead of gluing. Only issue there is with the chassis bottom there is a wire that threads through a hole that presumably I'd have to cut to remove the old one, and solder once threaded back through the new one, which would be a pain as I don't have an iron as yet.

IMG_20190618_220433173 IMG_20190618_220445085

On here I had to straighten the bottom most handle, and I've straightened the second from bottom as far as I dare without breaking, assuming the similar looking one at the top is to aim for, everything else seems in order? Finally at the other end it's missing the coupler, I believe it's an NEM type, and the slot was there but the actual hook etc not so. I've seen what look like the correct replacements in the local shop but by Bachmann, are they all interchangeable? (Could be a stupid question if NEM as I understand is a universal idea).

IMG_20190618_220106088

At the front, I thought the hook(?) on the left should be vertically straight rather than diagonal, fortunately I looked at the review photos and it seems that is correct as appears. The decorative coupling seems ok but I'm not sure what the thing above covering the number 4 is, doesn't appear on the photos I looked at, maybe should be hanging down attached to the coupler? Seems like there should be something mounted above the same number 4 however it's missing and I believe not an individual part I could replace. Similarly on the left and right in the blue areas there are tabs where something was, or a detail part should go but I can't find anything, might be a headlight but no info on parts, is this where a better third party version might come in? The little black thing in front of the whistle I believe is straightened out correctly now.

IMG_20190619_211106773

Again brake rods are missing, there's a stray bit of plastic hanging near a wheel which I can't tell where it should be. Hopefully come out if I get replacement rods.

IMG_20190619_211703802

There's a lubricator/speedo referred to on the service sheet which I'd never heard of before. Seems there should be a long rod from the steps to the back wheel which is missing and something on the wheel, as for the lubricator(?) I can't figure out where it should be. The part that is there, horizontal under the valance seems to sit more under it than the review photos I saw? 

IMG_20190619_211356285

One final somewhat odd issue, not related to missing parts, is occasionally when I pick it up to look at and put back down, the front drive wheels don't sit on the track. There's a spring on the bogie which may be lifting it up? Hesitant to mess with it as sometimes it sits down fine, hard to see in the pics but it has a definite movement when pressing on the roof.

IMG_20190619_211922318 IMG_20190619_211931247

Apart from that any other issues you notice on the pics let me know, or anything else to look out for. 

So far in my basket I'm looking at;

Tender chassis bottom (X9331)

Loco chassis bottom (X9326)

NEM Couplings (X9289) - subject to Bachmann ones being incompatible, can get those from the local shop and do my bit

Assembly bag for drain cocks (X5180)

Speedo cable (X9338)

Lubricator (X5275)

Screw link coupler (X5069)

Appreciate any advice or help, once I get all the parts together that I'm going to have it to bits for replacing, I also have this to clean out. I'm not sure if it been part of a 'loco stored in a field' diorama or poor effort with the scatter....

IMG_20190618_222820983 IMG_20190618_222810421

Many thanks

Tom

Front of loco

The parts missing on each corner on the front are lamp Irons , you will not get spares for them. They are the same as the black thing.

The screw coupling on the front , the bit sticking up should be connected to the rest of the coupling.

Loco Chassis

The bit of plastic hanging down between the wheels is a sand pipe there should one on both sides , they come with the chassis bottom.

Offside of Loco

Speedo cable/drive , this runs from under the cab to above the rear driving wheel as can be bought as a spare. Look inside the valance above the rear wheel you will see the mounting holes.

Tender

You only need to remove the wire (with a soldering iron or you will not have tender pick ups if not reconnected) if you change the actual chassis. The Brake Rods are a real pain and do not like glue, try UHU or Evostick.

Loco off the track.

Check the bogie mounting plate , it maybe bent or its not sitting inside the square post underneath the loco. The plate is held on by one screw.

I wouldn't recommend Mallard for a 4 year old . Get a cheap Thomas the Tank via eBay or similar. My 4 year old grandson loves his. 

Edited by micklner
  • Thanks 1

For the tender coupling, if you are using hook type couplers on your rolling stock why not just add a wire bar.  Many people do this because it allows a0 close coupling and b it is less intrusive visually.   For the other parts of the tender it might be easier to go to someone like Peters Spares or New Modellers Shop (Whom I have found very good) and try to get either a used tender or just the chassis or even e-bay for a complete tender.  If I remember correctly the tender chassis is the same on all the later A4s produced by Hornby.  You can make new lamp irons out of small staples or bits of thin brass.  They will not have the step that the lamp fits on but never the less they look not at all bad.  I have done this on several of my locos.

• Thanks 1