Photon Prints - Accessories, rolling stock, and more!

8 minutes ago, CarriageShed said:

I can see I'm going to have to keep my eye on you, just in case you start offering items in N gauge/2mm scale ;)

I am planning on scaling both up and down from OO so watch this space! I need to do some tests with different scaling options :)

• Like 2

I love the promise being offered by 3D printing. I've long been after different loco bodies for existing N gauge chassis, but right now I'm into the last stages of painting and detailing a 3D printed ex-LSWR royal saloon in N, and I have to say it's looking pretty marvellous. It'll certainly never be available through any manufacturer as it was withdrawn in the early 1930s, so 3D was the only way to go.

Before you know it there will be quite a crowd in this thread offering you hints and tips. I'm following around half a dozen similar threads right now, and everyone seems keen on making it work.

• Like 1

The OHV looks absolutely cracking, very interested to see how the dented version comes out! The door springs and brake handle look beautifully thin, what sort of thickness have you go those down to?
(I'm considering purchasing a photon myself, your work is definitely encouraging me!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarriageShed said:

I love the promise being offered by 3D printing. I've long been after different loco bodies for existing N gauge chassis, but right now I'm into the last stages of painting and detailing a 3D printed ex-LSWR royal saloon in N, and I have to say it's looking pretty marvellous. It'll certainly never be available through any manufacturer as it was withdrawn in the early 1930s, so 3D was the only way to go.

Before you know it there will be quite a crowd in this thread offering you hints and tips. I'm following around half a dozen similar threads right now, and everyone seems keen on making it work.

It's all very exciting, and can only get better/cheaper too. And I'm quite open to ideas for future prints!

1 minute ago, benblack5 said:

The OHV looks absolutely cracking, very interested to see how the dented version comes out! The door springs and brake handle look beautifully thin, what sort of thickness have you go those down to?
(I'm considering purchasing a photon myself, your work is definitely encouraging me!)

Cheers! I can't remember exactly but it's something daft like 0.3mm. The solebars printed absolutely beautifully, I'm so happy with how they've turned out. The quality of prints with the Photon is crazy, you won't be dissappointed if you do decide to go ahead!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Locksley said:

It's all very exciting, and can only get better/cheaper too. And I'm quite open to ideas for future prints!

I certainly won't hold you to it, especially while you're still at the learning stage, but I'd love to see a superheated Drummond L12 loco body to fit a Union Mills T9 chassis in N. One for the future perhaps.

I could also guarantee many Southern fans who'd be happy to see one of several carriage diagrams that almost certainly won't be available any other way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CarriageShed said:

I certainly won't hold you to it, especially while you're still at the learning stage, but I'd love to see a superheated Drummond L12 loco body to fit a Union Mills T9 chassis in N. One for the future perhaps.

I could also guarantee many Southern fans who'd be happy to see one of several carriage diagrams that almost certainly won't be available any other way.

I will add it to the list, I'm all for odd or unusual things that would never otherwise be modelled. I'd certainly love to get to a point where I'm able to model up something like that.

1 hour ago, Locksley said:

I will add it to the list, I'm all for odd or unusual things that would never otherwise be modelled. I'd certainly love to get to a point where I'm able to model up something like that.

I think a large number of modellers will be happy to see you reach a point at which you're able to model something like that! But starting with wagons and coaches wouldn't be a bad thing either. There are many gaps in the market there, and probably some good, fairly basic detail to get your teeth into.

• Like 1

Third print of the OHV came out lovely. I tried to get a dented look to the sides on the 3D model but I'm not entirely sure it's worked, I probably won't bother again. Made a start painting it up just to see how it would look. I have a set of Internal User decals on the way from Railtec so I'll pop those one before further weathering.

CollageMaker_20190621_071448951.jpg.e75baecab28ec847bf186e8950c35863.jpg

• Like 5

On 21/06/2019 at 13:44, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I have just got my printer delivered so looking forward to getting going.

David

Awesome, you'll have a lot of fun.

I'd highly recommend the following, if you're not already aware of some of these things:

1) Use ChiTuBox instead of the Anycubic slicing software. The included software is just an inferior, cut down version of ChiTuBox.

2) Throw away the included USB stick and get a decent SanDisk one or similar. I got a 4gb one off Amazon for less than a fiver.

3) Use the support settings here, I've not yet had a failed print from support failure with these settings. They may even be a bit overkill.

4) Set your base layers to 8 at 80sec exposure, again I've never had a print fail to adhere to the build plate with these settings.

5) I'd highly recommend trying Elegoo Grey resin as I've found it to be far better than the included Anycubic Green stuff, 0.04mm 10.7sec exposure works brilliantly for me.

Edited by Locksley
it was Friday afternoon...
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I installed the software on my PC and it was fine although it has suddenly reverted to Chinese any ideas how I restore it to English?

Third menu item across the top should be Language Setting. This should have only one option which toggles between Chinese and English. Need to restart after it.

But definitly try Chitubox, it has useful additions such as hollowing model and estimation of resin used.

+1 for Chitubox, I didn't even bother trying the software that came with the printer tbh.

On 21/06/2019 at 15:57, 73c said:

Any thought's on doing the Maunsell 350hp shunter body in oo

I have added it to my list, I'll let you know if/when I get around to it. :)

• Thanks 1

Painted up one of my OHV prints, very happy with the outcome! Decals are from Railtec, with chalk markings applied using a Prismacolor White pencil. Weathering was mostly with oils. The damage effect looks better once painted but I still think I need to try something different next time. I also printed out a couple more, as well as an ex Soda Ash version with a slightly different door, and a couple of load inserts.

CollageMaker_20190624_073758002.jpg.ee3813588a43bafa2545e2f46cf8d4cf.jpg

Edited by Locksley
  • Like 12

On 21/06/2019 at 14:43, Locksley said:

Awesome, you'll have a lot fun.

3) Use the support settings here, I've not yet had a failed print from support failure with these settings. They may even be a bit overkill.

Is this the correct link? Seems to just link to the Chitubox home page...?

Thanks and keep posting. Lovely inspiring stuff!

Guy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Locksley said:

Painted up one of my OHV prints, very happy with the outcome! Decals are from Railtec, with chalk markings applied using a Prismacolor White pencil. Weathering was mostly with oils. The damage effect looks better once painted but I still think I need to try something different next time. I also printed out a couple more, as well as an ex Soda Ash version with a slightly different door, and a couple of load inserts.

CollageMaker_20190624_073758002.jpg.ee3813588a43bafa2545e2f46cf8d4cf.jpg

I reckon the 'dented' look is spot-on; very much as I remember these wagons.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I reckon the 'dented' look is spot-on; very much as I remember these wagons.

Thanks Brian! i do want to try again as it would be something that would really set this stuff apart from RTR/kit wagons. The dents on that OHV were done very crudely, essentially the dent is a seperate object laid over the existing wagon sides. Ideally I want to properly deform the sides themselves.