Photon Prints - Accessories, rolling stock, and more!

7 hours ago, Locksley said:

Thanks Brian! i do want to try again as it would be something that would really set this stuff apart from RTR/kit wagons. The dents on that OHV were done very crudely, essentially the dent is a seperate object laid over the existing wagon sides. Ideally I want to properly deform the sides themselves.

Have you played around with Meshmixer? Amongst many other features it has a set of tools ('brushes') that you can use to distort a mesh in various ways. I use it to smooth lumps OUT of meshes but you can use it in reverse obviously.

(The one thing I've found is that it creates large output files but I export them as .obj, import them into Flashprint and save them there and you get a file about half the size with no loss of detail.)

Meshmixer and Flashprint are both free and very simple to use, and there are many tutorials on line and on youtube to get you started.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Have you played around with Meshmixer? Amongst many other features it has a set of tools ('brushes') that you can use to distort a mesh in various ways. I use it to smooth lumps OUT of meshes but you can use it in reverse obviously.

(The one thing I've found is that it creates large output files but I export them as .obj, import them into Flashprint and save them there and you get a file about half the size with no loss of detail.)

Meshmixer and Flashprint are both free and very simple to use, and there are many tutorials on line and on youtube to get you started.

I have a little, I use it at the moment to solidify and hollow parts prior to printing but I must admit I wasn't aware you could use it for deforming stuff. I'll have a play!

Edited by Locksley

14 hours ago, Locksley said:

I have a little, I use it at the moment to solidify and hollow parts prior to printing but I must admit I wasn't aware you could use it for deforming stuff. I'll have a play!

Of course there is always mudbox or the mighty zbrush, bit of an outlay though, but zbrush is fantastic for any organic modeling or deforming meshes like dents, or rust detail, which I imagine would print amazing on the resin printer! Having seen these results im thinking of getting a photon now, or that new resin prusa.

• Like 1

Don/Mr Duck requested a set of OO barrels/drums so i managed to get a print off of those. I'm aiming to get a set on my Etsy store tonight. Unfortunately I've realised I took a photo of two of the ribbed barrels, rather than a smooth one too as they're not that easy to tell apart in plain resin lol. The set would include a few smooth oil drums, a few ribbed ones and a few of the plastic drums. Probably 4 of each but I'm not sure yet.

I've also printed a first draft of a stanchion set for Bachmann's BAA steel carrier at the request of a mate. I'll most likely stick these up on Etsy too once I know they fit.

CollageMaker_20190626_072013031.jpg.0acc1251ad83b3fd35268e2edeaf8207.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I tried a test print of a few things at N scale last night, while everything printed fine they're just a bit to small and fragile to be practical unfortunately. The pallet stacks may be possible though so I might pop some of those up in N.

...Excuse the painty figernails lol.

26696607_IMG_20190626_2212482.jpg.88abdf33f51a031dc7b83e4453e80bbb.jpg

5 hours ago, rdr said:

you can add flexible resin into the normal resin which makes it a bit more tough and less brittle.

I did wonder that, but it's also the fact that they're just so damn small, I lost at least 3 cones and a barrel just cleaning the excess resin off and getting them post-cured :( I may revisit them at some point, but for now I think any N scale stuff will have to be restricted to larger pieces.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2019 at 13:51, CarriageShed said:

I love the promise being offered by 3D printing. I've long been after different loco bodies for existing N gauge chassis, but right now I'm into the last stages of painting and detailing a 3D printed ex-LSWR royal saloon in N, and I have to say it's looking pretty marvellous. It'll certainly never be available through any manufacturer as it was withdrawn in the early 1930s, so 3D was the only way to go.

Before you know it there will be quite a crowd in this thread offering you hints and tips. I'm following around half a dozen similar threads right now, and everyone seems keen on making it work.

It would be nice to see a photo of the royal saloon .

Also not sure where to post, but every year there is a wish list of r2 models produced. I wonder if it might be possible to have wish list of any models people want, in particular coaches and railcars. My own interest for designing for 3D printing is anything up to BR mk 1, but if there was a thread where it was easy to just add suggestions, with some way of re-ordering them into categories , I(andothers I assume) would find it useful. I find I get a lot of interest for N gauge, but make my designs several diffeent scales.

Some can print their own models, but they may find them selves limited to those models they can either design them selves or rely on others, and I don't think there will be a large number of 3D designs for railway stock available to download for a while.

I must say the results look great.

I am trying to convince myself to buy a 3D printer because in the end it will work our cheaper than ordering everything I need off Shapeways - well I suspect it will.

Which particular one did you buy. I see its a photon but wondered which model.

Regards

Rovex

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rue_d_etropal said:

It would be nice to see a photo of the royal saloon .

I wonder if it might be possible to have wish list of any models people want, in particular coaches and railcars.

The photo is coming. I just need to file down the bogie mounts as they raise the body a little higher than expected.

Perhaps start a specific Recreation21 thread with a poll of companies or carriages...? The most popular ones get produced. I'll go for anything LSWR and pre-1930 myself. Also S&DJR too - and those carriages are a real collection of odds-and-ends by 1930!

I was thinking of starting a thread, but not sure if it should be under 3D printing, as it could be used more generally. There isn't an N gauge specific area to post things, and I think there might be more postings for N gauge. Otherwise somewhere on the forum to add wishes, covering any scale.

1 hour ago, rue_d_etropal said:

There isn't an N gauge-specific area to post things...

I've noticed that too. It seems much more focussed here on 2mmFS. But perhaps a twin poll on the 'other' forum will help to balance things?

Ideally it would need a special section, where suggestions could be posted and sorted into categories, although having a number of threads for different types of item might work. For the way I work, just having something suggested is enough to get me started, as long as I can find decent scale drawings. I have already invested quite a bit in decent books and magazines. so it is only really my time I have to commit .

Well, I'm hesitant to hijack poor Locksley's thread too much, but perhaps a special 3D requests section along those lines would be possible. Any interested 3D 'producer' could pick up on a suggestion they fancy doing and then show progress in that particular thread.

I'd guess you'd need to get in touch with a moderator to get it started.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rovex said:

I must say the results look great.

I am trying to convince myself to buy a 3D printer because in the end it will work our cheaper than ordering everything I need off Shapeways - well I suspect it will.

Which particular one did you buy. I see its a photon but wondered which model.

Regards

Rovex

I went for the original Photon. The Photon S seems to have more mixed reviews, although people do say it's a bit of an improvement over the first one, but it's another £100 so couldn't really justify it. There's also much more support for the first Photon too.

8 hours ago, CarriageShed said:

Well, I'm hesitant to hijack poor Locksley's thread too much, but perhaps a special 3D requests section along those lines would be possible. Any interested 3D 'producer' could pick up on a suggestion they fancy doing and then show progress in that particular thread.

I'd guess you'd need to get in touch with a moderator to get it started.

No need to apologise for the hijack, it's all relevant stuff so I don't see any problem. I do agree though, a stickied 3D thread like you say would be a great idea.

I finally got another bottle of resin so I fired off a couple of bits I'd been working on last night. These 3 came out really well, an 8 yd skip, LPG tank & a sort of industrial roof vent thingy. I also printed some industrial chimneys although one had an odd layer shift near the top which was a bit strange. My plan is to pop at least the skip & tank on Etsy soon so keep an eye out if you're interested.

IMG_20190702_064206-01.jpeg.4e8abbcb097c47fc1b6ad44e92c06ee3.jpeg

• Like 4

Tried a print of a curved side open ex-Parkgate wagon as seen in a few of Paul B's Aldwarke photos. Due to the slightly more complex shape I decided to print this one upside down with the solebars in situ, leaving just the bufferbeams as seperate units. It worked remarkably well and just needs the upper edge and a few bits inside sanding smooth. I think this method is probably the way forward for most future wagon prints. You can see quite well here how the supports affect the 'bottom' of the print (although this is actually the top surface when printing, as it's closest to the build plate) There's quite a knack to getting the supports attached in a way that minimises this effect but still offers adequate support to the print.

I also only realised after printing that the buffers are too close together...

IMG_20190704_062305-01.jpeg.5172676976847dea866599d3e8b51fd0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 26/06/2019 at 07:29, Locksley said:

I've also printed a first draft of a stanchion set for Bachmann's BAA steel carrier at the request of a mate. I'll most likely stick these up on Etsy too once I know they fit.

YES PLEASE!

Also as a slight distraction... the internal wagons, I'm curios how you get the 'chalk' writing to look so good.

Thanks,

Martyn

• Like 1

6 hours ago, martyn11post said:

YES PLEASE!

Also as a slight distraction... the internal wagons, I'm curios how you get the 'chalk' writing to look so good.

Thanks,

Martyn

Cheers Martyn, I'll let you know as soon as we've figured out if they fit or not lol.

For the chalk markings, I paint the base colours of the wagon, plus any basic weathering such as fading paint or touch ups, then apply the transfers before a good overall coat of matt varnish. This is left to cure overnight and then I carefully apply the chalk markings using a very sharp Prismacolor white pencil. This is then given a further coat of a more satin-y varnish to seal it down before hitting the wagon with various oil washes and streaks.

The initial matt varnish step is neccessary as the pencil simply won't work on an even slightly glossy surface, and it must be allowed to cure for a decent amount of time otherwise the sharp pencil will just scrape away the paint.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've popped the propane/LPG tank up on Etsy for anyone interested. This measures around 42mm long, printed hollow with drain holes in the bottom. Should be a nice addition to a yard scene.

IMG_20190704_201526-01.jpeg.d8a571f1457d3bed6dd7449db501554b.jpeg

• Like 2

Got a couple more internal user wagons off the printer and painted up, all have come out quite nice but I'm still getting some warping that I need to eliminate. I'd like to eventually offer some of these for sale but don't feel they're quite good enough yet.

I'm also eyeing up some Stocksbridge Ingot wagons that look like they should be fairly easy to model and print so they may be my next project.

IMG_20190709_204714-01.jpeg.5bac47f18ce540a2794d68e1dacf2931.jpeg

CollageMaker_20190708_071754055-SEW10802.jpg.16e5f8eb68e582f096239e10d2b3e423.jpg

• Like 7

The Lackenby scrap carrier came out pretty nice, although again slightly warped, I just need to get to the bottom of why it's happening. I also threw together a Stocksbridge Ingot wagon which I tried printing with the upper surface directly on the build plate. This one ended up perfectly square with no warping whatsoever, though I have increased the size of the details a tad as they came out too faint, but I'm now wondering whether I can modify the other wagons so I can print those directly on the plate too.

CollageMaker_20190712_071044368.jpg.e3813224165b253d24b2cd279a44253f.jpg

• Like 4