Photon Prints - Accessories, rolling stock, and more!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a Janus this week. I've been after one for a while and couldn't resist Hatton's price of £49.50 for the ASW one. My plan is to repaint and modify the model into Liberty Steel's Aldwarke #30 which can been seen in a few of Paul Bartlett and Mark Saunders' photos from a site visit last year. This involves some 3D printed conversion parts, as well as an attempt at some custom decals for the number, and debranded 'TATA Steel' logo on the cabside.

The parts list so far:

Radiator Louvre Covers

Bonnet Door Vents

Cabside Marker Lights

Cabside Info Tray

Cabside Makers Plate

Cab Roof Beacon Lights & Power Supply

Cab Roof Directional (?) Lights

Bufferbeam Jacking Points

Larger Diameter Buffers

Battery Box

Railings

I've now printed a majority of that list with decent success, just a few slight tweaks needed here and there. I even attempted a print of the railings by laying them flat on the build plate, and tbh they actually came out fairly nice. Without post-curing the resin they remain quite flexible and I'm hoping a shot of paint will prevent any further UV light curing them completely and making them brittle. The issue will be how easily it will be to attach them to the model as the railings on a Janus are very exposed and likely to be knocked easily. The cabside info tray (which appears to hold a sheet of paper stating that the loco is 'OK to use') printed out fine despite being no more than 3mm high, though the basic makers plate I drew up was too small for any text to be legible but will still do the job.

I'm still in two minds about modifying the bufferbeams, on the prototype the lifting eyes are at the top of the beam rather than halfway down as per the model, but although the eyes themselves are plastic and easily removed, they do have a moulded in base plate that would be a pain to grind off the diecast chassis. There's a also a cutout with grab rails on each side of the model for the front and rear steps which is not present on the real thing so I may fill that in too.

I'll whack out a final test print tonight but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Pics soon!

In the meantime, here's a test print of a 1/24 RAF pilot for a client currently building Airfix's Typhoon. He bought the STL files in error, thinking it was a physical figure so I'm pleased it's come out so well. I'll be trying some further prints scaled down too.

IMG_20190801_213501-01.jpeg.7a5bcd114ba075d7b177d7f728985f1d.jpeg

• Like 2

On 20/06/2019 at 14:32, Locksley said:

I will add it to the list, I'm all for odd or unusual things that would never otherwise be modelled. I'd certainly love to get to a point where I'm able to model up something like that.

How about a GWR Broad Gauge Hawthorn class 2-4-0 saddle tank?

DrDuncan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 02/08/2019 at 08:47, drduncan said:

How about a GWR Broad Gauge Hawthorn class 2-4-0 saddle tank?

DrDuncan

Added to the list!

I got the Aldwarke Janus conversion kit finalised over the weekend. A few parts have ended up slightly overscale but I'm getting towards the limits of the printer, or rather what is practical to print - much smaller and things just become a nightmare to clean up and fit. The body and chassis is now ready for a primer coat and paint, I still need to try another print of the railings but I'm hopeful I can get some decent results with them. Plus they only take 10 mins to print so it's nice and easy to bang out a test. I also want to have a look to see if I can do a plug for the NEM socket, the real loco has what looks like a rubber strip behind the coupling chain and I'm sort of wondering if I can incorporate that, and potentially even a dummy coupling chain into the plug.

There are a few sacrifices I think I'm going to have to make as i don't really fancy doing any major surgery to the model. The loco appears to have had its exhaust shrouds removed leaving just the bare pipe sticking up however these are very solidly moulded into the cab so removing them wouldn't be particularly trivial. There's also a few details around the bufferbeams like the lifting eyes being further up, the cut out for the small hand rails on each end of the beam aren't there, and there's a flat cutout at the bottom of the beam at each side on the prototype too (that one actually wouldn't be that difficult).

If anyone would be interested in a set of parts please do let me know, I am considering offering this as a kit on Etsy.

IMG_20190804_211340-01.jpeg.29f7504959ca405008f461be4d4ae832.jpeg

IMG_20190804_211325-01.jpeg.abc8314b7003bd250954dedf616f2a73.jpeg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

So when I said I wasn't going to do any complicated surgery to this model, what I actually meant was I'm going to do ALL the complicated surgery to this model...

Exhaust shrouds are removed and replaced with pipes, lifting eyes have been moved upwards and the remains of the old location ground off and filled, the small side rails at each end of the buffer beams have been filled, and the bottom profile of the beams filed to match photos. Phew.

Still need to fade the TATA decal and do a bit more detail painting. I printed off a second set of railings which actually look pretty good, I just need to reprint one of them due to layer shift, and I've decided to reprint the side (tool? battery?) boxes as the handles I put on looked ridiculous so I'm trying some added as part of the print, along with a pair of wheel chocks on top of one of them which can be seen in some photos of #30.

IMG_20190806_153719-01.jpeg.51dec2d14ebd9e0d1c5b7d2161da0360.jpeg

I've also found some suitable small baseboard material (125cm x 32cm) in our garage that was kindly left by the previous owners so I'm thinking up some designs for an Aldwarke based layout. Currently I'm planing to do the line that runs down the length of the Finishing Banks, with the building side as the backscene, as there's plenty of scope for interesting 3d printed details such as access stairs, downpipes, vents etc. Using Google Maps' incredibly handy point to point measuring tool that I only just found out about yesterday I figured I should be able to split the building into 20cm long sections and be able to fit almost exactly 6 on each baseboard at scale length. This gives me scope to potentially build another 4 baseboards and have the entirety of the Finishing banks but at nearly 6m long I think that's probably unlikely lol. But hey there's 4 more boards in the garage...

Capture.JPG.0bac8a10d0da51369cbd2b4d79732a68.JPG

I'm still unsure about track plan, in real life there's only a single line which could give an interesting and slightly different layout but would ultimately be boring as hell to operate for more than 2 mins, so I'm tempted to at the very least add a fictional loop into the mix. Regardless, the 32cm wide baseboard gives me plenty of room for the building, 1 or 2 tracks, and at least the roadway next to it. I've preliminarily purchased a few Scalescenes scratchbuilders packs - the modern brick, white siding, doors, and 2 concrete texture for the road - so my plan is to have a go at building one 20cm section of the backscene just to see how it goes. I've been so impressed with the Scalescenes boxfile layout I'm very excited to see how well the packs work for other buildings too.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

And that's the Janus complete. I'm not 100% happy with the weathering compared to how my Sentinel turned out but it should look the part when I get the layout sorted. Plus it still runs which is always a bonus.

IMG_20190808_221138-01.jpeg.cf8c0e7a51541b971838c306c391939b.jpeg

IMG_20190808_221229-01.jpeg.e1f575500affe677436053ea41e007d4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I finally got a set of wheels and couplings for the Stocksbridge Ingot Carrier. These are now up on Etsy for anyone interested. They come as a single print with seperate bufferbeams, and will require 2mm Romford bearings, 12.5mm 3-hole wheels, and couplings to complete. The slots in the bufferbeams are sized for Roger Smith 3 links.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/727874629/stocksbridge-ingot-carrier?

IMG_20190811_201806-01.jpeg.fa7f72fbb0891750d4e785f2fb540e9b.jpeg

IMG_20190811_201833-01.jpeg.db92bed36704abb87a7c481413538db5.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 20/06/2019 at 08:59, Locksley said:

Plus I've built up a small pack of enhancement parts for the boxfile which I'm hoping to offer for sale at some point in the future too. 

Are these available?

I'm "planting" my boxfile into a larger layout soon, so would like to add your 3d printed bits to mine too :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Are these available?

I'm "planting" my boxfile into a larger layout soon, so would like to add your 3d printed bits to mine too :)

Unfortunately not yet, I really want to finish off my boxfile and figure out exactly what to include in it before I offer any sort of pack for sale, however if you'd like some of the parts I've already done, shoot me a private message and we can sort something out.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Locksley said:

Unfortunately not yet, I really want to finish off my boxfile and figure out exactly what to include in it before I offer any sort of pack for sale, however if you'd like some of the parts I've already done, shoot me a private message and we can sort something out.

Thanks Alex, I've only just ordered the baseboards from Tim Horn, so I'm quite a way off detailing. I'll PM you when I'm ready if that's OK

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Thanks Alex, I've only just ordered the baseboards from Tim Horn, so I'm quite a way off detailing. I'll PM you when I'm ready if that's OK

No problem at all mate. I might even have mine finished by then lol.

Edited by Locksley

• 1 month later...

After a small shelfie layout shaped break, I managed to draw up a little freelance 009 bodyshell to fit a 4 wheeled Kato chassis. The plan is for this to run on my next shelfie, 'Handsworth Goods', which will primarily be a standard gauge goods yard but with a bit of 009 track crammed in. Once I'm happy with the general fit of the body to chassis I'm planning to do a few different variations of this, hopefully including a cabless version, and possibly a centre cab too.

339111724_Screenshot2.JPG.7017013ce82dbf46e1006d56f9756276.JPG

2031221170_Screenshot3.JPG.0b234974ec593b5dc0215d7cc249e4f1.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

If it fits a Kato 11-103 I'll have one as soon as :)

Plus a bixfile detailing kit ;)

The bodyshell is designed for the 11-104 with the ends lopped off so I can't comment on whether it will fit the 103, although it doesn't look massively different in design. The bodyshell needs some very slight tweaking to the CAD then I'll whack it up on Etsy if you'd still like one. Still not got round to finalising the boxfile kit, I'll make sure to post up here once it's done.

The body itself turned out pretty nice. This is printed at 0.02mm resolution using the Anycubic Yellow resin. I'd ideally like to produce them in Elegoo Grey as it seems to give better detail. It fits the chassis really nicely though. I definitely want to do a few more designs too.

IMG_20190919_192011-01.jpeg.d5ff0f020977504582500208a75aa45b.jpeg

IMG_20190920_205739-01.jpeg.70db55890bb556191e567607193ec0bf.jpeg

IMG_20190920_234120-01.jpeg.4a89103c2506ce4f597d8bf918a565e9.jpeg

IMG_20190920_234134-01.jpeg.164eb9612bd8d1cb7fc96a40a6e8172c.jpeg

IMG_20190920_234204-01.jpeg.f2bf334c14b45f9785611ebeb681dace.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just bit the bullet and ordered the twin z-axis rail replacement for the Photon. This should completely elliminate the horizontal banding on prints which comes from the build plate being able to move very slightly and result in as near as perfect quality prints as possible.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Locksley said:

Just bit the bullet and ordered the twin z-axis rail replacement for the Photon. This should completely elliminate the horizontal banding on prints which comes from the build plate being able to move very slightly and result in as near as perfect quality prints as possible.

I'd be interested to see the print difference, and also how easy it is to fit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2019 at 08:10, Locksley said:

Unfortunately I don't have any 009 couplings to try but if you'd like an empty slot instead of the one that's there that's no problem.

If I remember I'll measure the coupling heights on the NG wagons I have and how the spare couplings I have are attached ;)

• Like 1

Drew up another freelance bodyshell ready for a test print once the z-axis upgrade arrives. Sort of loosely based on an 08 crossed with a YEC DE2 I guess, with a hint of Triang Dock Shunter :D I've decided to print any future shells with the coupling as seperate parts purely as the rear one, which would be on the side nearest the build plate, has a tendency to print a bit rough due to the supports needed.

359759813_Screenshot4.JPG.2abb7efcfb7b66f9bcde756d359ed884.JPG

• Like 2

Another project currently in the works is a commission for 200 Ministry of Supply sleepers. These are actually rather handy as many were used in stacks as temporary structures for water tanks and similar lineside equipment. The client has kindly given me permission to list these on Etsy once complete if anyone is interested.

screenShot_MoS_Sleeper_v0.png.e398218033a56827c2442e34b8500fd1.png

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Locksley said:

Another project currently in the works is a commission for 200 Ministry of Supply sleepers. These are actually rather handy as many were used in stacks as temporary structures for water tanks and similar lineside equipment. The client has kindly given me permission to list these on Etsy once complete if anyone is interested.

screenShot_MoS_Sleeper_v0.png.e398218033a56827c2442e34b8500fd1.png

Would you be able to do these for P4 gauge (niche I know...)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Locksley said:

Drew up another freelance bodyshell ready for a test print once the z-axis upgrade arrives. Sort of loosely based on an 08 crossed with a YEC DE2 I guess, with a hint of Triang Dock Shunter :D I've decided to print any future shells with the coupling as seperate parts purely as the rear one, which would be on the side nearest the build plate, has a tendency to print a bit rough due to the supports needed.

359759813_Screenshot4.JPG.2abb7efcfb7b66f9bcde756d359ed884.JPG

Etsy store bookmaked ;)

• Like 1