Digitrax PM42 with Lenz LZV100 Controller

andybster

I have been using my Lenz LZV100 controller connected to my layout and PC with TrainControllerGold quite happily for several years now. There came a point where I decided that I needed control for several different power districts (especially a sepearate one for my point controllers - the main reason for shorts actually happening). So, I invested in a Digitrax PM42 which arrived and I connected up without a problem.

The problem that I have is that if I "trip" short out on of the 4 districts on the PM42, the Lenz Controller also cuts out, making the PM42 useless - the whole system stilll shouts down.

Has anyone had a similar problem, and mopmre to the point, has anyone got a solution to this?

• RMweb Gold

EDIT: misread your original post as I thought the PM42 was a booster.

Are you sure the LZV100 is not detecting the short faster than the PM42?

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, RFS said:

EDIT: misread your original post as I thought the PM42 was a booster.

Are you sure the LZV100 is not detecting the short faster than the PM42?

Yes, I have tried everything I can to make the LZV100 as "unsensitive" as possible my problem is that I have followed all instructions I can to get the two devices connected (using Loconet) and followed the guides to change the settings on the PM42 - trouble is, there is no feedback to let me know that the PM42 settings have been changed. So, shorting any one of the 4 circuits on the PM42 still results in all 4 districts going off as well as the LZV100!

• RMweb Gold

The PM42 is actually quite old with an original release date of August 2002. Does this mean it's relay-based rather than solid-state? Could simply be the LZV100 is too fast for it. I have used a PSX circuit-breaker with the LZV100 with no problem, and the latest versions of this, which can support 1-4 power districts, have adjustable trip settings. 

It sounds as if the current trip on the PM42 is set higher than the trip current on the Lenz unit. By default they will trip at 5a. As mentioned they are relay based so their triggering is slower than more modern solid state devices. 

3 hours ago, andybster said:

Yes, I have tried everything I can to make the LZV100 as "unsensitive" as possible my problem is that I have followed all instructions I can to get the two devices connected (using Loconet) and followed the guides to change the settings on the PM42 - trouble is, there is no feedback to let me know that the PM42 settings have been changed. So, shorting any one of the 4 circuits on the PM42 still results in all 4 districts going off as well as the LZV100!

How are you connecting them via Loconet?

The LZV100 uses Xpressnet not LocoNet 

On 21/06/2019 at 17:47, WIMorrison said:

How are you connecting them via Loconet?

The LZV100 uses Xpressnet not LocoNet 

According to the LZV manual (Page 33), you can "make" a Loconet by connecting C & D connectors on the box to the Blue & White cables on a Loconet cable. - This is the possible problem in that, I cannot tell if this solution works, as when I try to change the settings on the PM42 using my Lenz (LH100) handset, there is no indication that a change has been made to the PM42 settings - eg. no flash of an LED or anything.

The blue and white wires on Loconet are the Railsync which isn’t connecting with the Loconet which is actually on the green and red wires.

Connecting as you suggest should however allow a Loconet Booster to synchronise with the LZV allowing the locos to run on the track with the Lenz Handset connected through Xpressnet. The use of these wires are a device Loconet B rather than LocoNet T

In summary, you are not connecting from or into Loconet and I don’t think that this is what will be suggested in the Lenz manual - possibly it is saying that a Loconet Booster can be used in a Lenz system by connecting these wires, but that is very different from connecting Loconet into Xpressnet. This will alsoe xplain why the LZV 'trips' out at the same time as the PM42 and you do not see any lights flashing indicating successful programming. There hasn't actually been any programming :(

Sorry to burst the bubble :(

Edited by WIMorrison
appalling spelling, and just as bad grammar!
  • Like 1