New Mills (90's Railfreight / Speedlink)

Andrew P

2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

See Post above Jeff, = The Feather on Platform 1 for the Branch will be worked via a Micro switch on the Point, with the rest worked from the switches.

That is already to be done with the Micro Switch fitted to the Peco Point Motor.

Thanks anyway Jeff, I was going to do it via a switch, but last week I decided to add another Signal, so needed the space in the Switch Panel, it will also look and work better.

Glad your keeping me in check mate.

Doh

Regards Jeff

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, gismorail said:

Wow Andy that looks GREAT in fact MEGA GREAT ........now this is looking like your best to date my good friend, :fan::fan:please don't sell it .........yet :biggrin_mini2:

1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

That has come on really fast. Looking good.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Martin and Ade, I'm very pleased with it's progress and looks so far, well Martin, as for selling it, :o       No comment.:laugh:

:nono::fie::cry::notme::good:

• Funny 3

27 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Starting from a position of almost total ignorance, but, as the platform roads seem to signalled for bi-di, wouldn't the inner of the two platform starters have a feather also?

Mike.

Hi Mike, Technically yes, you are right, but Platform 2 can only run Wrong Line through the Platform and up the Branch which is By Directional, not down the Main Line the wrong way on the wrong road, so will only ever go across to the Branch.

I suppose it should either have a Feather or maybe an arrow on the Post or something.

Passenger Trains arriving up the Main Line from the right to Platform 2, can stop, and reverse down the Branch Line. Conversely a Passenger Train coming in from the Branch will work into Platform 1, and can then revers down the Main to the right on the correct Line.

Freight will work into P 1 or 2 from the left and can both go down the Branch.

I hope that explains my workings, but as I have said before, my Signalling is only a very poor representation for Rule 1. To fit a Signal and Feather to P2 would mean another Switch Panel and Switches, so may be something to consider later when more funds permit.

Cheers Mike. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

I am no expert in this situation, but I don’t think the bi-di signal on P2 would have a feather. The aspects apply to the straight ahead route and Route knowledge would in form drivers that the route from that signal is onto the branch, no wrong line down the main. Feathers are only used to indicate a choice of route - think if a feather as a semaphore bracket. So personally I think your fine.

Given it’s a diverging route however, I suspect it would probably be a red/yellow aspect, although I am not 100% on that one. It may require a shunt head to permit a run-round or something, ie a movement as far as the inbound signal on the branch.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Shunt aspect added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In modern day practice there would be a lot of discussion about which way was ‘straight’ and with a Y point that’s always fun.  But . . . 

A modern day layout doesn’t have to have modern day signalling.  Certainly from (say) 25 years ago, what you have Andy is exactly what I would expect for the operations you describe.  You don’t need a shunt signal to go out onto the branch and come back either.

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Andy,

I am no expert in this situation, but I don’t think the bi-di signal on P2 would have a feather. The aspects apply to the straight ahead route and Route knowledge would in form drivers that the route from that signal is onto the branch, no wrong line down the main. Feathers are only used to indicate a choice of route - think if a feather as a semaphore bracket. So personally I think your fine.

Given it’s a diverging route however, I suspect it would probably be a red/yellow aspect, although I am not 100% on that one. It may require a shunt head to permit a run-round or something, ie a movement as far as the inbound signal on the branch.

Rich

32 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

In modern day practice there would be a lot of discussion about which way was ‘straight’ and with a Y point that’s always fun.  But . . . 

A modern day layout doesn’t have to have modern day signalling.  Certainly from (say) 25 years ago, what you have Andy is exactly what I would expect for the operations you describe.  You don’t need a shunt signal to go out onto the branch and come back either.

Paul.

Cheers Guys, some great and comforting information so thanks for that.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Is it static grass or flock you use in and around the tracks leading up to the buffer stops

Its Peco Static Grass applied the lazy way, i.e. dabbed on with it between my fingers onto dollops of PVA, there is also some green and light brown flock pushed in as well. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Its Peco Static Grass applied the lazy way, i.e. dabbed on with it between my fingers onto dollops of PVA, there is also some green and light brown flock pushed in as well. 

I certainly wouldn’t describe anything you do as ‘the lazy way’

Although the speed you build your layouts makes me look very lazy :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 2

A couple of mates around this evening including John M and Mark O, Peter BB of this parish also called in later.

IMG_8631.JPG.dfe9ff96383cae5d5d0d739cfe399d0d.JPG

IMG_8632.JPG.f1dc59f26b2003818b921caffa3432fa.JPG

Then we ran some Trains, some VIDEOS as well for later.

IMG_8605.JPG.7f925beb00efccb655de62c6b7b6016b.JPG

IMG_8612.JPG.cf878328f9110dc696111a611eeae099.JPG

IMG_8620.JPG.3bc1cc42ced60a30cffa098346b42bdd.JPG

IMG_8621.JPG.15207bc0a58f477dc1379d2bf4f090ed.JPG

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Cor Andy, I can't believe that you didn't clean the outside of your rolling stock knowing your friends were coming round. What must they have thought?    :jester:

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, Ray H said:

Cor Andy, I can't believe that you didn't clean the outside of your rolling stock knowing your friends were coming round. What must they have thought?    :jester:

THOUGHT? :o They asked when I could do some for them, haha.:good:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 380John said:

Really like the look of those overgrown sidings Andy. Top stuff. The whole thing is looking great. 

John

Cheers John, Good to hear from you, I do have some more pics and Videos to put on later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

I think it's your best yet Andy.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez, That's very nice of you to say so, I have many favourites, such as Pencarne, (although I should have pursued Pencarne Junction a bit more) Trebudoc was good, and Kings Moreton was nice to Video, plus many more favourites such as West Shed and Porth Merryn to name just two more.

• Agree 2