New Mills (90's Railfreight / Speedlink)

Andrew P

Then after coffee I decided to do the Hedge hiding the Farm Track and the Embankment along the back using some cardboard folded into an inverted V and covering it with Flock and Foliage.

IMG_8675.JPG.bccc54e170a0fce532ca0ddab26b4589.JPG

IMG_8676.JPG.52f331844f96f201500bdddf471c6dbd.JPG

IMG_8677.JPG.f976e180311b90db151716ef02877f92.JPG

IMG_8678.JPG.471f87ee026c00a1625d68b8a85147c5.JPG

IMG_8679.JPG.597ce045720f5b5999503f649aa3bea3.JPG

IMG_8680.JPG.3c7474e2e1b8d7506fcc006b60b84887.JPG

IMG_8681.JPG.ce3160a8ad83a1159ffbb1c35cb46bff.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG.da0a259afecff795df83a544e4f467f5.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Scenery isn't my thing so please excuse this probably silly questions. Are your hedges just plain an simple clump foliage, possible of different colours?

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Andy

Scenery isn't my thing so please excuse this probably silly questions. Are your hedges just plain an simple clump foliage, possible of different colours?

Thanks.

Hi Ray and Thanks for the question, I have used Woodlands Scenics Fine Green Flock onto the neat PVA, and then added Medium and Light Clump Foliage, you buy it as a large sponge like mass, then just break / tear off as requited. I then also used W/S Dark and light Underbush which comes in small bits as you will see lying on the ground in the fore ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:04, Clive Mortimore said:

Why are you trying to solder your feet?

The heat from the soldering would surely be seen as 'de-feet-ting'!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

How's the running Andy? I only ask because the diamond looks out of alignment in the top pic in your last batch of pics. You can see it in the 2nd one from the bottom as well. It looks out in the vertical plane about a mill and a half. Might be an illusion but if I can see it in 2 pics I would suggest not. The scenery is looking fab though.................err sorry mate I'm just telling you what I'm seeing.

Regards Lez.   

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

How's the running Andy? I only ask because the diamond looks out of alignment in the top pic in your last batch of pics. You can see it in the 2nd one from the bottom as well. It looks out in the vertical plane about a mill and a half. Might be an illusion but if I can see it in 2 pics I would suggest not. The scenery is looking fab though.................err sorry mate I'm just telling you what I'm seeing.

Regards Lez.   

Hi Lez and thanks for pointing that out, I've just been out for a look and it is high / low by about half a Mil or maybe a little more, but hardly visible to the naked eye, but I've never noticed it when running, just heard the clickety clack as can be seen in a couple of the Videos. I cant see how it happened as the boards and cork were all level, and the Tracks laid as one originally. The Boards are Doweled at the ends and are a fairly tight fit as well.

I may try wetting the Ballast on the lower section and lifting it a tadge.

Cheers again.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

HI Andy.

Photography is the cruelest media mate. It shows all! Still it's not something you can't fix. PVA is good like that all is not set in stone once it's dried, you can soften it again, realign things and let it all go off again. Then you just have to retouch the ballast. 

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez.   

5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Lez and thanks for pointing that out, I've just been out for a look and it is high / low by about half a Mil or maybe a little more, but hardly visible to the naked eye, but I've never noticed it when running, just heard the clickety clack as can be seen in a couple of the Videos. I cant see how it happened as the boards and cork were all level, and the Tracks laid as one originally. The Boards are Doweled at the ends and are a fairly tight fit as well.

I may try wetting the Ballast on the lower section and lifting it a tadge.

Cheers again.

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

HI Andy.

Photography is the cruelest media mate. It shows all! Still it's not something you can't fix. PVA is good like that all is not set in stone once it's dried, you can soften it again, realign things and let it all go off again. Then you just have to retouch the ballast. 

Regards Lez. 

O.K. Lez, all sorted in less than 5 minutes, I wetted the PVA, left it for a couple of minutes and then gently lifted the Rail.

Ballast, Sleepers and Rail all came up together and stayed there, I then applied some more diluted PVA and now it's all set again. there is still a pin in the photos that is holding it until it's rock hard.

P.S, Its also on the board join, hence no Fish Plates.

IMG_8686.JPG.da49f564e168faae35aca5d8ed31eced.JPG

IMG_8687.JPG.e60cdb55ba7c6105447a4b36b1f876d6.JPG

Cheers again Lez for pointing it out to me.

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Nice easy fix Andy.

Small bulldog clips across the gap till it all set is the only thing I would have added to that method mate. They sit nicely in the rail web and are just about fool proof for alignment.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Small bulldog clips across the gap till it all set is the only thing I would have added to that method mate. They sit nicely in the rail web and are just about fool proof for alignment

What a great idea!

• Agree 4

Today I've made a start on the Hill and Cuttings. Nothing to strenuous, just the Hot Glue Gun, some bits of wood off cuts, some Cardboard, Masking Tape and PVA, then some Paint.

Next up some flockage etc.

IMG_8688.JPG.a35a281bd56392278f9bdd10201e5661.JPG

IMG_8689.JPG.a60fdf3e237eae0363a6623a7bf560bc.JPG

IMG_8690.JPG.2da73f3dccba425ca11466a473c26331.JPG

IMG_8691.JPG.c01bb4562c6cc86d499154e898ab40bf.JPG

IMG_8693.JPG.cd8ab823c5215d747fad8b599296737f.JPG

IMG_8694.JPG.c144d2ba343d531043141a3f25fd43fe.JPG

IMG_8695.JPG.318134b84f7d00b5a9bb515b872dc590.JPG

IMG_8696.JPG.20ad76a1a01fc88b684a8bdcda4d6f57.JPG

IMG_8698.JPG.f26d068a12761c6e1892bb56f42ce0a6.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Like 18

11 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Yeh nice Andy. It's coming together very well.

Regards Lez.

Cheers Lez, The sharp edges will disappear once there is Flock and Bushes etc. to take the eye away from the contors, plus some fencing along the edges as well as I did with Kings Moreton and Pencarne.

This is an unbelievable build Andy everything looks right about this one, easy on the eye with nice curving track blending into the scenery. Excellent work young man as I have said before this is surely one of your top builds. 

Almost frightened to log in at the moment in case a For Sale appears :scared:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

7 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Looking good Andy,

I may have asked this before - apologies if so - do you use acrylic paints for this?

Rich

Yes Rich, todays is Windsor and Newton, Hookers Green and Raw Umber, previously I've used Reeves but my local store doesn't stock them anymore.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, gismorail said:

This is an unbelievable build Andy everything looks right about this one, easy on the eye with nice curving track blending into the scenery. Excellent work young man as I have said before this is surely one of your top builds. 

You're probably safe on that front. I'll have beaten you to it.

Really liking this build Andy, nice to see something a bit different  Such speedy progress is great entertainment value for the rest of us too!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Thanks Martin, but I think this one is here to stay for some time, it may even be made into a continuous run at some stage so that I can run longer Trains, but for now, Speedlink and Short Freights plus the 150 / 153 Units will have to suffice.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JDW said:

You're probably safe on that front. I'll have beaten you to it.

Really liking this build Andy, nice to see something a bit different  Such speedy progress is great entertainment value for the rest of us too!

Haha, yeah, very safe for now mate. Cheers.

Just now, Andrew P said:

Thanks Martin, but I think this one is here to stay for some time, it may even be made into a continuous run at some stage so that I can run longer Trains, but for now, Speedlink and Short Freights plus the 150 / 153 Units will have to suffice.

Well that's a relief Andy :dance_mini: ......I can now browse in a more relaxed fashion :laugh_mini2:

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Layout is shaping up very nicely and has a 'gentle feel' about it due to those nice curves...!!

I think you are getting the hang of this layout building now....:D

Edited by KNP
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2