New Mills (90's Railfreight / Speedlink)

Andrew P

3 minutes ago, gismorail said:

That'll be a hay-ho off to work we go then ....... cracking videos Andy ...wonderful ......think you might get know as 'three tanks Andy ' :laugh_mini2:

Cheers Martin, and YES I need a couple more Tanks, but later they will also be mixed with the Speedlink workings as well as running as sets.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice video (as all the others were too).

Hadn't heard the term skateboard before but I like the analogy. ‘Cos of my background I still think of them as (modern) bubblecars.

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-6922-0-80416500-1518460595.jpg

As for a bit of a curtain, I will have a look for some black cloth as paper never works that well.

Hi Andy

Black plastic bin liner is what I used on Tidworth and Exford Park works very well. I usually have three layers of plastic and then cut them vertically at roughly 5mm intervals and the trains just push through them with no issues. Just added the pic above where you can see the plastic in place under the bridge.

Edited by Temeraire
Added pic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Although I originally said no to that idea, the more I think about it the more I like it, so might give it a look at later.

As for a bit of a curtain, I will have a look for some black cloth as paper never works that well.

Morning Andy,

I cannot think where I saw it now, but somebody created a black 'curtain' that was stabled to the back (ie fiddle yard side) of the scenic break, so that trains passed through it when entering the fiddle yard, and very effective it was.  The so-called curtain, was a piece of black paper, with cuts around every a quarter of an inch from the bottom to half an inch off the top.  Spanning the full width of the tunnel mouth - it was a quick, easy and cheap way of working but did work well.  I seem to remember some comment that paper was best in that scenario as it was flimsy (so trains could push through it) and it was easily replaced if torn.  He had tried some form of cloth but it could catch on some of the finer detail, where as paper couldn't.  I think it might have been a steam layout however, so that may not apply to you.  Just a thought for you...

EDIT: Oops, sorry, hadn't seen Ian's post when I typed the above!!  Ian's image was exactly what I was trying to describe, but I like the idea of the black bin bag better than paper....

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

however I do have a list (in my head) of the next lot of jobs, such as painting the Platform furniture in the correct colours, fitting dummy Point Motors, AWS Boxes and Lineside Boxes, and then buying some Sheep and Cattle for the Field and Meadow etc.

So basically many hours of fun adding the details plus of course some Body's about the place.

:o body's? Don't tell us there has been multiple murders in New Mills overnight in the vicinity of the station?

That meadow looks such a quite tranquil place, as does the station, although if those rouges from Lincolnshire and Yorkshire are invading the place....... <ducks quickly> ;)

Rich

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Nice video (as all the others were too).

Hadn't heard the term skateboard before but I like the analogy. ‘Cos of my background I still think of them as (modern) bubblecars.

Paul.

Strange init, I never called them Skateboards until I moved up ear, it sort of sums em up I fink.:good:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Do I tell him now or leave it until he visits the ranch that I watch the videos with the sound turned off. I do enjoy them just the same.

That's what your knobs for, on you TV that is mate. Do I have to make my own sounds if I do any Videoing on Monday then?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Temeraire said:

post-6922-0-80416500-1518460595.jpg

Hi Andy

Black plastic bin liner is what I used on Tidworth and Exford Park works very well. I usually have three layers of plastic and then cut them vertically at roughly 5mm intervals and the trains just push through them with no issues. Just added the pic above where you can see the plastic in place under the bridge.

2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Morning Andy,

I cannot think where I saw it now, but somebody created a black 'curtain' that was stabled to the back (ie fiddle yard side) of the scenic break, so that trains passed through it when entering the fiddle yard, and very effective it was.  The so-called curtain, was a piece of black paper, with cuts around every a quarter of an inch from the bottom to half an inch off the top.  Spanning the full width of the tunnel mouth - it was a quick, easy and cheap way of working but did work well.  I seem to remember some comment that paper was best in that scenario as it was flimsy (so trains could push through it) and it was easily replaced if torn.  He had tried some form of cloth but it could catch on some of the finer detail, where as paper couldn't.  I think it might have been a steam layout however, so that may not apply to you.  Just a thought for you...

EDIT: Oops, sorry, hadn't seen Ian's post when I typed the above!!  Ian's image was exactly what I was trying to describe, but I like the idea of the black bin bag better than paper....

:o body's? Don't tell us there has been multiple murders in New Mills overnight in the vicinity of the station?

That meadow looks such a quite tranquil place, as does the station, although if those rouges from Lincolnshire and Yorkshire are invading the place....... <ducks quickly> ;)

Rich

Rich

Thanks Ian and Rich, I do like the Bin liner idea, I'll give that a go.

Cheers Guys.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, georgeT said:

Morning Buddy, l think if you painted the inside of the tunnel mouths onto the fiddle yards BLACK it would hide a lot from vision or some sort of curtain hanging down would do the same, really enjoying the small film clips, also will the pond get any bigger ?

Taking George's idea, this morning I've painted the area inside the Tunnel Mouth, but will be adding some sort of black curtain as well.

So much better already, cheers mate.

IMG_8786.JPG.4c76fe3dfa769a4438893d63df522872.JPG

IMG_8787.JPG.6dc1e38a49498e413c85f619fbdd8b26.JPG

• Like 12

Before I start to Edit the new Videos here are a few pics from this mornings running session.

I borrowed Kevin / Little Muddle fame's Pilot for some Ariel Shots.

IMG_8809.JPG.a5f295ce44a021074622de0e3ef5db64.JPG

IMG_8807.JPG.53ebb63e7f68f285f6ffa675a20f7ec9.JPG

IMG_8793.JPG.479cad3e0e6fe47a9d52260f3e595759.JPG

IMG_8796.JPG.e1b8971b354e7e3d394e2d8afba08a43.JPG

IMG_8797.JPG.653f06e3774cfaf8a20acc2929227783.JPG

IMG_8800.JPG.862e735b0dd8d96ebdb1f9ac4e47f4bc.JPG

• Like 15

Getting better with each day....

Didn't know the Squadron Leader could fly a Spit.....quite an increase in performance from his Sopwith though they do both begin with 'S'..

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, KNP said:

Getting better with each day....

Didn't know the Squadron Leader could fly a Spit.....quite an increase in performance from his Sopwith though they do both begin with 'S'..

Good job I didn't send him up in the Lancaster then Kevin, haha.:o

Edited by Andrew P
  • Funny 4

5 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Love those last two mate, superb.

Here's a bit of tweakage:

Andy_IMG_8875.JPG.7ea376c54bf9cb74934d59320542da6a.JPG

Al.

Thanks Al, You can't beat a good bit of tweakage on a Friday night, haha.:good:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3