New Mills (90's Railfreight / Speedlink)

Andrew P

8 hours ago, georgeT said:

Very nice Bodgit, need to get the airbrush out soon ?

Thanks mate, and yes indeed I do, yesterday I detailed all the  ends of the Locos, and fitted the Stanchions and Brake pipes to the BDA, so now nearly ready for that weathering job.

As well as the VAA and VGA I ordered a Shark Brake Van last night, so they will be here soon. Because the Coupling on the Hornby Seacows cannot be easily changed to Kadees, the Shark will go on one end with a Hornby coupling and a Kadee, and then later I'll get something like a Tope, Catfish or Dogfish for the other end of the Rake and do the same there. I wish I was quick enough to grab the other 3 Seacows at the Manchester Show the other week.

Still spent all my pennies for now, I'll need to sell my Body and Soul to fund some more stuff.:o

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

I didn't realise you were back in the 4mm game Andy. Very nice sir, looks fun to operate. Far more going on than my Whitchurch project! 

Regards,

Nick

Hi Nick, and thanks, Since Christmas I've built and sold Bala Town in 7mm, and Kingsmill TMD, and Mason Street Goods both in 4mm.

I do still have Seven Mills Sidings on the go in the 7mm Section, and work will re start on that soon, as I now have the walling I've been trying to get for the Layout. I also have a Sound Chip to fit to the B I G Heljan Class 40, so there will be some action back on there again very soon.

In the meantime I'm playing with ideas in 4mm as well.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And todays doctored pic is a Class 20 on a short Freight.

1979983775_IMG_x8951.JPG.0aa40c8406db970141db54359d0296b5.JPG

That will look superb once that yellow front and expanse of bodyside had been hit with your weathering skills Andy.  Really like the layout however, you've done well as they say!  Some O gauge stuff coming up for sale from me soon if there's anything your after for SMS - let me know!

Rich

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

That will look superb once that yellow front and expanse of bodyside had been hit with your weathering skills Andy.  Really like the layout however, you've done well as they say!  Some O gauge stuff coming up for sale from me soon if there's anything your after for SMS - let me know!

Rich

Cheers Rich, I'm all spent out at the moment, but I'll ask George and a few others I know, I'm guessing it's Blue period.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Shame we don't have "proper" goods trains anymore. The mix of different wagons makes it so much more interesting. Today's railway is so dull in comparison with say 1960. 

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Really loving the videos Andy, there's something about seeing main line locos hauling small trains that I like. I've always been a fan of your work and as other people have said this has to be the best yet, great stuff!

Steve.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Shame we don't have "proper" goods trains anymore. The mix of different wagons makes it so much more interesting. Today's railway is so dull in comparison with say 1960. 

Regards,

Nick.

Cheers Nick, the Speedlink era seemed to be the end of short mixed and interesting Rakes, and at Eastleigh, Didcot and Newport etc, I've seen 37 and 47 for example with just the one wagon. But yes for real variety, the  pre BR probably gave the most mixed Rakes with all the Private Owner Wagons about.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Really loving the videos Andy, there's something about seeing main line locos hauling small trains that I like. I've always been a fan of your work and as other people have said this has to be the best yet, great stuff!

Steve.

Thanks Steve, Kind words indeed, and so I'm grateful for that. As stated to Nick above, the Speedlink was for me the end of the short and interesting Rakes.

The Layout would benefit from a continuous Run, so maybe that is something to give thought to in the Months ahead. But for now, I'm happy just to send a Short Freight or 2 Car Passenger unit from one end to the other.

I'm glad now that I included both the Branch and the Station, as the original plan had neither, and was just going to be a two Track line between Fields etc, but looking back now, that would have been very boring to watch, and even more boring to operate.

Edited by Andrew P
add?
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As a kid, I just about remember the odd BR box van, but mostly in engineers livery by then - late 1980s / early 1990s - but the ‘traditional goods’ train had long gone.

When we used to collect dad from North Road Station, on a Friday evening, I used to enjoy watching the mail trains being shunted about from the middle siding between platforms 4 & 5 and the carriage sidings beyond platform 8. Usually a clay working would trundle through, comprises of a pair of 37s and anything up to 15 bogie wagons. A rare treat were the oil trains coming up from Cornwall: they were always exciting! 

Mostly gone now. 

• Like 4

Just now, Andrew P said:

Thanks Steve, Kind words indeed, and so I'm grateful for that. As stated to Nick above, the Speedlink was for the end of the short and interesting Rakes.

The Layout would benefit from a continuous Run, so maybe that is something to give thought to in the Months ahead. But for now, I'm happy just to send a Short Freight or 2 Car Passenger unit from one end to the other.

I'm glad now that I included both the Branch and the Station, as the original plan had neither, and was just going to be a two Track line between Fields etc, but looking back now, that would have been very boring to watch, and even more boring to operate.

I think the branch is great, especially watching the indicator on the end of the platform. I guess the next progression would be a continuous run, I think if I did it I would keep it to the main line only, I've never had that and think it would always be nice to sit back and watch trains go by.

Steve.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

As a kid, I just about remember the odd BR box van, but mostly in engineers livery by then - late 1980s / early 1990s - but the ‘traditional goods’ train had long gone.

When we used to collect dad from North Road Station, on a Friday evening, I used to enjoy watching the mail trains being shunted about from the middle siding between platforms 4 & 5 and the carriage sidings beyond platform 8. Usually a clay working would trundle through, comprises of a pair of 37s and anything up to 15 bogie wagons. A rare treat were the oil trains coming up from Cornwall: they were always exciting! 

Mostly gone now. 

I left Plymouth at 4 years of age, 1954, and moved to Kent, but I don't really remember seeing any Trains until I took an interest in 1977 when living on the South Coast, so just remember Brown Vans and Banger Blue Locos at Fratton and Chichester when spotting in my lunch hour from work, but not Number collecting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I think the branch is great, especially watching the indicator on the end of the platform. I guess the next progression would be a continuous run, I think if I did it I would keep it to the main line only, I've never had that and think it would always be nice to sit back and watch trains go by.

Steve.

Yes of course, but I had that with Kings Moreton, and as nice as it was, it was just the same Trains on the same Route, as I could never be bothered to change stock in the Fiddle Yard, unless I was going to do one of the Videos.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Rich, I'm all spent out at the moment, but I'll ask George and a few others I know, I'm guessing it's Blue period.

NO problems - yes I'll put a list on my Marsh Lane thread in the 7mm Modelling but, with some pics once its all sorted.  In one sense not a move I want to make, but limited space and realisation dawns.  Still it will fund the next chapter!

Interesting that you thinking about extension options for New Mills.  Whats left on the to-do list for this one ... hope your planning on retaining it for a while!!

Rich

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MarshLane said:

NO problems - yes I'll put a list on my Marsh Lane thread in the 7mm Modelling but, with some pics once its all sorted.  In one sense not a move I want to make, but limited space and realisation dawns.  Still it will fund the next chapter!

Interesting that you thinking about extension options for New Mills.  Whats left on the to-do list for this one ... hope your planning on retaining it for a while!!

Rich

Hi Rich, Funding the next chapter is always good, when it's time to move on, then you need to raise funds, well I always do anyway.

The ''to do'' list is still fairly long, I have some AWS Ramps and need to find out exactly where they would go, and also make some bases for the Relay Cabinets, and Trunking etc. other little jobs like painting the Platform seats, a pavement on the Bridge, a Portacabin for the Yard, and so the the list goes on, but I'm taking a couple of weeks off to have some good running sessions at the moment, and may also do some work on SMS as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gismorail said:

Some cracking shots today Andy but I think the last one with the reflection in the pond is number one for me Excellent Sir 

Thanks Martin, the original plan was for a Canal, but I didn't have enough base board depth, so then it was to be a stream, but changed my mind and ended up with the Pond, which I think, once detailed will add some nice scenics to the front area.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

The ''to do'' list is still fairly long, I have some AWS Ramps and need to find out exactly where they would go, and also make some bases for the Relay Cabinets, and Trunking etc. other little jobs like painting the Platform seats, a pavement on the Bridge, a Portacabin for the Yard, and so the the list goes on, but I'm taking a couple of weeks off to have some good running sessions at the moment, and may also do some work on SMS as well.

Hi Andy,

Sounds good! Making sure you enjoy what you create is all part of it of course!

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The Shark from Hattons arrived this morning, in as new condition but with Kadee's on as advertised, so one was removed, and a tension lock was added and then the Van added to the Seacows in the Yard, I should have some new pics in a few days, as this mornings running session was interrupted with Household and other duties.

• Like 2