New Mills (90's Railfreight / Speedlink)

Andrew P

A good Running / Photo Session on here this morning and also fitted the Dummy Peco Point Motors, just the AWS Ramps TPWS Grills to add and then some cable trunking at some point.

The Plan for tomorrow is a 7mm Running Session on Seven Mills Sidings, well that's the PLAN so far.

Here's a couple of the 79 pics from today.

UDSCF2344.JPG.d1b3cccc65763352870d12162ed30c0f.JPG

UDSCF2349.JPG.425746b763fd6f439f6aa06bdd62028d.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

With the front taken off the Hay Cart to keep young Clive and his Orses happy, the last pic for today is of the 150 unit as it trundles towards Crewe.

DSCF2321.JPG.975805777ad6e1c90ed43de4e00ebd46.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

With the front taken off the Hay Cart to keep young Clive and his Orses happy, the last pic for today is of the 150 unit as it trundles towards Crewe.

Oooh is that a rare move?  The 150 on the bi-direction goods loop? Not signalling problems caused by tonight's power failure I hope :P

Rich

• Funny 3

6 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Oooh is that a rare move?  The 150 on the bi-direction goods loop? Not signalling problems caused by tonight's power failure I hope :P

Rich

No Rich, the Derby / Nottingham junction is down the line, the other side of the Station, and so that is why it uses Platform 3.:good:

No loss of power in this part of Swad, but half the Town had lost theirs earlier I believe.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I was only trying to help you get the abeyance of your layout right. When you come to sell it you don't want some know it all like me say to the purchaser...."that bloke knows nuffing, look at that wrong hay cart. " And lose the sale.  

• Funny 5

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was only trying to help you get the abeyance of your layout right. When you come to sell it you don't want some know it all like me say to the purchaser...."that bloke knows nuffing, look at that wrong hay cart. " And lose the sale.  

Good job it's not FOR SALE then mate,:good:                 yet  :nono:

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

No Rich, the Derby / Nottingham junction is down the line, the other side of the Station, and so that is why it uses Platform 3.:good:

No loss of power in this part of Swad, but half the Town had lost theirs earlier I believe.

Some people just have a answer for everything :P

Glad to hear problems with power haven't affected you.

Rich

• Like 2

As it's lunchtime, and I won't be around for most of tomorrow as I'm visiting George T, I thought I'd treat you to another offering or two from yesterdays running session.

YES I KNOW, don't shout at me...…………….Weathering:yes:

UDSCF2356.JPG.bb62a0299c99376f3d5d099e84e26eda.JPG

UDSCF2360.JPG.1633c6a1bc055a2cc7480082fbd215e9.JPG

UDSCF2364.JPG.dced1a10054816bcac9b6a8757537d11.JPG

• Like 16

O.K. I'm looking for information on the fitting of AWS Ramps, i.e. their position in relation to Signals and which way around they go.

Also the TPWS Grills, similar question really, where would they be sited on the Layout?

722808945_TrackPlan-MARKEDSIGNALS.png.0ce96be0a6173e598e92591c752abcbb.png

Edited by Andrew P
add pic
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening Andy,

AWS: 180m (200 yards in old money) on the approach to a signal.  They can sometimes be closer and I would allow modellers compression say 120m. That is still 62” or over 5’ so most of yours will be off the scenic section!  There are three that you can show.  One for signal 8 placed close to the diamond, one for signal 3 placed just in the loop just clear of the entry points and one for signal 5 just past signal 4.  AWS magnets are yellow and the protective ramp is silver, until they go track dirt colour. The ramp is further from the signal and the magnets closer.  When trains can pass in both directions another protective ramp is bodged on to the magnet end too.  I put sone photos on a thread for a WCML 4 track N gauge layout but I can’t remember which one at present. 

TPWS:

Grids come in pairs, at the signal they are adjacent to each other.  You need one for each of your main signals 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 12.  There can also be grids on the approach to a signal typically 350m and they are separated.  I could construct an argument for any approach grids to be off the scenic section, so I suggest you stick with just those at the signals. 

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
iPad locked up
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

TPWS:

Grids come in pairs, at the signal they are adjacent to each other.  You need one for each of your main signals 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 12.  There can also be grids on the approach to a signal typically 350m and they are separated.  I could construct an argument for any approach grids to be off the scenic section, so I suggest you stick with just those at the signals. 

Paul.

Not for 1980s though...  TPWS wasn’t introduced until the late 90s IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Thank you for keeping me on the straight and narrow - I really should have known that!

Actually, early 2000s as the legal requirement was embodied in the 1999 Railway Safety Regulations.

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Evening Andy,

AWS: 180m (200 yards in old money) on the approach to a signal.  They can sometimes be closer and I would allow modellers compression say 120m. That is still 62” or over 5’ so most of yours will be off the scenic section!  There are three that you can show.  One for signal 8 placed close to the diamond, one for signal 3 placed just in the loop just clear of the entry points and one for signal 5 just past signal 4.  AWS magnets are yellow and the protective ramp is silver, until they go track dirt colour. The ramp is further from the signal and the magnets closer.  When trains can pass in both directions another protective ramp is bodged on to the magnet end too.  I put sone photos on a thread for a WCML 4 track N gauge layout but I can’t remember which one at present. 

TPWS:

Paul.

9 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

5 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Thank you for keeping me on the straight and narrow - I really should have known that!

Actually, early 2000s as the legal requirement was embodied in the 1999 Railway Safety Regulations.

Paul.

Thanks Paul and Andrew, very concise and informative.:good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I miss read your post, thinking you had been to a garden center and bought some weeds. I know you are not a keen gardener, like me, so they could easily sell both of us weeds not proper plants. :nono:

I always ask for pre-dead plants, saves time in the long run

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

That pond looks much better now, like a pond rather than undrained flooding or surface water. But is it perhaps too busy? If there were animals in the field drinking from it, would the weeds have grown up so much around the edge?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1