New Mills (90's Railfreight / Speedlink)

Andrew P

After posting the Class 60 Sound Test Video on the previous page, I did some more normal pics, but then the Camera battery died on me, and so until that re charges I cant access them.

So in the meantime, another from last weeks set.

Fresh out of the Paint Shop.

DSCF3266.JPG.802e17ea8b4559d8de9a05698f0c37ca.JPG

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ray H said:

Thanks for the pictures Andy.

How do you think that speaker would sound in a small O gauge shunter or similar?

Well if like me, your using an OO Chip it should sound very good, by that, I mean better than a standard Speaker, but if you have room for a Double Boom Box, then that might be better still, but you would need to test them together and heat the difference. 

In my O Gauge 08, I've used one of Jintymans big round speakers, I also used that in the Fuel Tank of my 40, and I think Jints fitted them into my 25's 20's and 37 as well.

Here's the 08

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bill37 said:

TTS with the i-phone speaker sounds great.

Bill.

Yes Bill, the Factory fitted EWS 60 was about £170 when new, and the equivalent today would be about £235, and yet a second hand 60 with a £35 TTS Chip and an I Phone  speakers sounds better.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Interesting video Andy. I think the I Phone speaker is the way to go.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes, it's certainly taken me by surprise Ade.  When I saw the Loco advertised as TTS with I Phone speaker I was dubious, having never heard one, and not sure how it would match the TTS output, but I'm more than delighted with it.

Good work on your Shed (Timber type, NOT Class 66) you'll soon have it all kitted out and Trains running mate.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy and apologies for discussing a primarily O gauge matter here.

I'm not likely to fit anymore of my OO stock with sound decoders - they all currently have decoders though even though they're rarely changed round.

I recently bought a new Heljan O gauge Class 05 following a demonstration of one at the club by a relatively new member. His had the round speaker that fits the enclosure that comes fitted to the loco. I went down a slightly different route and fitted a pair of slimline YouChoos speakers, one each side of the motor/chassis block albeit it a different position to that suggested by John's YouChoos fitting page. I was reasonably happy with that until something went amiss with the sound - it started to sound very tinny if you know what I mean.

I showed it to my colleague who has a garden railway and isn't too worried about loco sound being to loud: I'd took the body off - the loco! - and by chance he noticed the recess where the round speaker enclosure was. We removed the enclosure and offered up one of the single sugar cubes. The rest as they say is history because with a little rounding off of the corners of the sugar cube speakers enclosure the difference was amazing and that is how the loco is at the moment.

I shall have to try and source an iPhone speaker for trials.

Apologies once again for topic drift.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I awoke this morning to find a BIG MOJO in my bed,:o so after getting the papers I disappeared into TOPS,:yes: set up the Air Brush and made a start on the O Gauge 40, then attacked the New Mills Stock with vengeance, some fairly clean and some not so clean so many pics to come later.:good:

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

And now it will be easy to tell the old pics from anything new, but I won't be taking many of the new ones for a few days until I've finished working on the 7mm Wagons.

So we see a very clean Class56 on the Steels from Southampton Docks to Trafford Park.

XDSCF3288.JPG.9829f3464c04a14e3d942c6d0abfd118.JPG

• Like 9

Looking at yesterdays pics I decided to re visit the two x 37's and de weather them a bit, I'm  now a lot happier with them.

As it was.

DSCF3431.JPG.24515f72e2604227810a54932c32e02f.JPG

As It is now.

DSCF3466.JPG.e095a8f5e6e8fed1e720e6b0d46305d5.JPG

As it was.

DSCF3436.JPG.daa6653d97798e0cb2048bd90d2b195a.JPG

As it is now.

DSCF3469.JPG.a6c025e9e0247309fbc2fadad420056a.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 16