New Mills (90's Railfreight / Speedlink)

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Really like the last photo of the SVR.  Not sure why - it just seems to capture something.   Or maybe it's because I'm from Down Under and the subject is not something I would ever see in real life.

Whatever it is, please keep the photos coming.  They are very educational for someone like me.

Pretty confronting to see such a clean windscreen though!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Really like the last photo of the SVR.  Not sure why - it just seems to capture something.   Or maybe it's because I'm from Down Under and the subject is not something I would ever see in real life.

Whatever it is, please keep the photos coming.  They are very educational for someone like me.

Pretty confronting to see such a clean windscreen though!

Thanks Bogie, the Video will be up in about an hour or so I hope.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

The cafe with the viewing platform is great. What a grand sight to see.

Cheers,  Ade.

And a most wonderful Museum with things like 8F, Jinty, Prairie, Post office Coach, King George 6th Coach, and loads more.

IMG_9649.JPG.d09e4a94c9add3b3d503503ee24dbf20.JPG

IMG_9650.JPG.d2d7f078caa998e23a13ac3abaa42b43.JPG

IMG_9651.JPG.5e5e8a1db9046d225f4818196db9f79d.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The Severn Valley Railway is one of our favourites, although I think Sarah has a soft spot for Ffestiniog as it was the first steam railways we went too together, luckily for me she enjoyed it and now she’s more than happy to go to others. So much so she generally organises our holidays near a preserved railway....happy days

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

The Severn Valley Railway is one of our favourites, although I think Sarah has a soft spot for Ffestiniog as it was the first steam railways we went too together, luckily for me she enjoyed it and now she’s more than happy to go to others. So much so she generally organises our holidays near a preserved railway....happy days

Lucky you, my wife wants me as far away from anything to do with Railways as possible, haha.

14 minutes ago, MikeHemmings said:

I spent a few hours at the museum and on the station yesterday.

Mike

Just one day apart then Mike, shame, but I hope you had better weather than we did, although by the time we got Arley, it did stop raining a bit, and, we saw some sunshine.

• RMweb Premium

Hope all goes well at the hospital Andy.

I was discharged from the hospital (in London) where I had been treated after my little escapade and they sent the paperwork to my GP. They then called me back to the hospital for a check-up forgetting that they no longer had the paperwork. I even saw a doctor that as far as I am aware I'd never seen before (at least when I was conscious).

That was a wasted trip. I hope your trip is worthwhile.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Ray H said:

Hope all goes well at the hospital Andy.

I was discharged from the hospital (in London) where I had been treated after my little escapade and they sent the paperwork to my GP. They then called me back to the hospital for a check-up forgetting that they no longer had the paperwork. I even saw a doctor that as far as I am aware I'd never seen before (at least when I was conscious).

That was a wasted trip. I hope your trip is worthwhile.

Mine went slightly better, I got  in half an hour early, and was told; yes your booked in take a seat. One hour later and with everyone else going in and coming out I re asked the question to a different receptionist, and was told, Your in the wrong department. I was then taken to the right department where the receptionist said; we saw you were here and booked in but couldn't find you.

Now had another scan that looked like a baby pounding away inside and sounded like a gurgulling fish as the Videos of the heart were taken. They did 69 Videos, but fortunately for you guys, they wont be put on here.

I'm told my GP will have the results in a week or two.

Jeff / Binny came with me to stay with the car whilst I went in, we then went to Morrisons for Breakfast.

After that we went for an Hours Train Spotting, only onw Freight, but loads pf pen de dil dohs. Pics up next.:good:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

What's with the "yards" on the sign in the first photo? Isn't distance on the railway still measured in miles and chains?

meters r dem fings wot tells u ow much elec n gas wee use yards r wot wee messure fings wif n chaans iz wot olds us in

Edited by PeterBB
apologies to Andy
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

I think some regions moved to miles and yards e.g. ScR, but strangely, all the yards were multiples of 22!

Paul.

Hi Paul

I didn't realise that Scottish PW workers were so keen on cricket that they measured the track in wicket lengths.

Or was it from the days when prisoners were made to work and that is the length of the chain.

Serious 'ead on. The OLE mast on the West Coast mainline, the Great Eastern and the LTSR are marked in miles and chains. The ones on the Midland and East Coast are in Kilometers. I suppose those on the GWR are in Kms as well.  It doesn't really matter as long as you use the right measurements on you ruler or tape measure.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1