New Mills (90's Railfreight / Speedlink)

Andrew P

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No, Southbridge fell apart, so I built Pig Lane. When that was causing more problems than it was worth I built a bigger version, Hanging Hill. Brisbane Road was built as I wanted another small depot. Hanging Hill fell apart, all exhibition layouts either fall apart or end up like Triggers broom were every thing needing replacing. So that was cleared off to make Sheffield Exchange Mk1. Mk1 was stopped owing to a house move and me wanting to build Mk2 (which you have still to visit). Pig Lane (Western Region) was made as a side project for a Lyddrail competition.

All other projects canceled through lack of interest.

You see it is all one big Flying Circus.

I will be making arrangements for the ROYAL VISIT once back from a short break, I'll give you a ring and sort it mate, AND I am looking forward to it,:yahoo::good: I'll bring me Stetson.:yes:

Seems you've had as many failures as me, haha.:nono:

• Like 1

Well over night / 2am this morning to be precise:o, I came up with an idea for adding more interest and the possibility of a meadow or Lane and Cottage at the lower level at the front of the Layout.

So basically I've added 6 inches to the board width but tapering out from the Station area.

This will give a lot more room for Scenic development of the two sidings, and also increase the run of the Embankment along the front and take away the Flat Earth look. I still have to do the front facia, but that may well have to wait until I come back from Holiday, unless my Bouncers / Boys do it for me whilst I'm away.:good::fie:

IMG_8557.JPG.0c33456cd355f111e9ced0ec1113e4ba.JPG

IMG_8558.JPG.9bba13eade5ead0b3f82c6b94947890c.JPG

IMG_8559.JPG.6f803130b3419895d7c20b38db868f6e.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Andy. Always a pleasure to see how well your getting on, but it does remind me that my progress is the total opposite!!

Enjoy the break - take care mate.

Rich

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Guys, Back from a week in Devon, we laid Mum's Ashes with Dads at Exeter Crematorium on Tuesday, and that was the reason for the trip. 

This morning I fitted the Farmers Crossing Gates, they don't need Lamps or Red Discs, as no Vehicles other than the Farmers own can use it, as it only gives access to  the old Monastery field for Sheep and Cattle.  

IMG_8566.JPG.3333dcffd889b3fefcc82c4611f692ba.JPG

IMG_8567.JPG.bfa92c263dc565a847fc30be7c74b23e.JPG

The Crossing and Junction will be protected by a Signal.

1688914109_IMG_8566-Copy.JPG.618c60600ee98449dd2c2daa23c73a15.JPG

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 8

This morning whilst waiting for the F1 Qualifying to start I decided to paint the Rail Sides prior to Ballasting over the coming days.

It's all Tamyia Acrylics applied through my Air Brush.  For the Main lines I made up a mix of a light Grey, Deck Tan and some Nato Brown. I then added more Brown and Matt Black for the Slow Loop for a contrast, and then more Black for the Points and Crossings and near Signal positions where Locos might stop.

Finally I did the Sidings with the same mix and then went along the Rail Sides with a light Rust, (that has come out a little Pink in the photos.

Some areas will get re touched after the Ballast has gone down.

IMG_8568.JPG.1d7d16c2088a2af08a89e6de74dd7411.JPG

IMG_8569.JPG.0034712145e3db18041471fe3fa01378.JPG

IMG_8570.JPG.0b8af7febc046cd072e2099f6dc06cc3.JPG

IMG_8571.JPG.509d1c66feeb4e7886aec695cbfd83f4.JPG

• Like 18

16 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Looking good Andy.

9 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I like the colours and the way you have left some rust on the rail tops just in front of the buffers.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Barnaby and Ade, I'm please with the way it's all coming together so far.

Thanks for you continued interest.

• Like 2

Very smart, really changes the appearance.

After the excitement of the F1 I do hope you didn't watch the cricket as well because that'll have shredded your nerves to pieces...!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, KNP said:

Very smart, really changes the appearance.

After the excitement of the F1 I do hope you didn't watch the cricket as well because that'll have shredded your nerves to pieces...!

I'm not into Cricket, but proud of any Brits that can produce winning, or even brilliant results.

In MY DAY, Cricketers wore whites, my Dad would be horrified, haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, georgeT said:

Coming together nicely mate, will have to have a visit soon.

That would be good.

I have an Arla Railway Club meeting tonight in Branston at John B's, with John B and Binny / Jeff H.

Then tomorrow night it's the Swad Modellers Group of John M and Mark O at my place.

Possibly Thursday or Friday is the  Old Grumpy' s meeting at mine with a couple more mates.

Then next Monday the Arla Railway Club have their Annual Convention and Committee Meeting at mine. 

And in the next couple of weeks John M, Binny and myself have a day out at Clive Mortimore's Sheffield Exchange near the Lincolnshire Coast.

I need a lay down.:yes:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

That would be good.

I have an Arla Railway Club meeting tonight in Branston at John B's, with John B and Binny / Jeff H.

Then tomorrow night it's the Swad Modellers Group of John M and Mark O at my place.

Possibly Thursday or Friday is the  Old Grumpy' s meeting at mine with a couple more mates.

Then next Monday the Arla Railway Club have their Annual Convention and Committee Meeting at mine. 

And in the next couple of weeks John M, Binny and myself have a day out at Clive Mortimore's Sheffield Exchange near the Lincolnshire Coast.

PM me with some suggested dates ......so I know when to get all my multi-coloured cut and shut coaches with no glazing and passengers.

Or seats for the passengers.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That would be good.

All this AND progress on the layout ..... I don't know what pills your taking Andy but throw some in this direction!! Or have you found that elusive 12 extra hours in the day that the EU nicked from us years back hehe!!

Seriously, layout looks good. Its always amazing how a few signals and the ballasting completely change the look from track on wood through to a believable scene.  

Just slow down a little bit tho will you - your F1 style action is making us lot seem like snails that are superglued to the spot .. .well me anyway!!!

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

All this AND progress on the layout ..... I don't know what pills your taking Andy but throw some in this direction!! Or have you found that elusive 12 extra hours in the day that the EU nicked from us years back hehe!!

Seriously, layout looks good. Its always amazing how a few signals and the ballasting completely change the look from track on wood through to a believable scene.  

Just slow down a little bit tho will you - your F1 style action is making us lot seem like snails that are superglued to the spot .. .well me anyway!!!

Rich

Cheers Rich, Feet up time now for the afternoon, I do need my lunchtime kip in the chair, haha.

I've just ordered the last Signal and Micro Switch, and had a message to say that the Signal Box, (Barrow Hill / Model Rail Ltd Ed) should be here about Wednesday. 

I did have a little run yesterday to ensure all the Points are still working O.K. and that no Ballast had gone where it shouldn't, and so I might have a proper run tomorrow before turning the Boards over to wire up the Signals.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, phixer64 said:

Andy, have you thought about wiring the feather upto the point, so, when it changes, the feather will light up depending on the route required.

Keep up the good work

Regards Jeff

See Post above Jeff, = The Feather on Platform 1 for the Branch will be worked via a Micro switch on the Point, with the rest worked from the switches.

That is already to be done with the Micro Switch fitted to the Peco Point Motor.

Thanks anyway Jeff, I was going to do it via a switch, but last week I decided to add another Signal, so needed the space in the Switch Panel, it will also look and work better.

Glad your keeping me in check mate.

• Friendly/supportive 2