Reactivating old decals

My preference is for Methfix or Pressfix transfers,but sometimes there is no alternative to decals.

In this case, the decals are ancient and comes from a Matchbox 'Rentaset' Van*. A previous owner of this item had filled the inside with some nasty green substance, which had caused the zinc alloy to corrode, in particular the baseplate, but also the body. Thinking, "Nothing to lose" I left it to soak in vinegar. This has removed the corrosion but aslo loosened the decals. They stuck beautifully to an another example of the model, which I had previously repainted, but on

drying have partially lifted.

* It dates from the time of 405 line black and white sets (like me!) and to prove it should have a miniature 'H' aerial on the roof - missing from both examples.

Does anyone know of anything which will stick them down again? I would rather use the originals than the reproductions which are available.

Thanks in advance,

David

I do have some decal paper which I bought about 10 years from 'Hobbies' IIRC. It's probably as reluctant to stick as the originals by now (If I could find it that is!).

The originals are probably still copyright.... (It seems that it lasts for ever these days!)

I fix all my decals with Johnsons Klear floor polish, then use matt varnish over the top if required.

If they have only partially lifted Klear or another varnish should fix them down again, if applied with a fine brush.

Edited by Campaman
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Campaman said:

I fix all my decals with Johnsons Klear floor polish, then use matt varnish over the top if required.

If they have only partially lifted Klear or another varnish should fix them down again, if applied with a fine brush.

Off to try this! I'll report back.

The first attempt appears good. I did the broken transfer so in the event of failure all is not lost.

I did consider varnish - in days of yore it used to used to fix transfers, but I never had any sucess with it :(  . For some reason I didn't think of Klear, but luckily I still have some of the original formula.

Edited by Il Grifone

Many thanks to all who replied.  :)

The Klear has worked well! (Too well as I fitted a small broken piece in the wrong place and my attempt to loosen it again with alcohol dissolved the ink, Perhaps I should have used ammonia as recommended on the instructions.) Touching it up with red ink shouldn't be too difficult though.

• Agree 1