4mm scale industrial Loco kits

Hi all

I have been thinking for sometime about building an industrial EM Gauge layout, I know of a few RTR OO gauge industrials, but, I was wondering if anyone knew anyone who produce OO scale Industrial Loco kits, I have seen mentioned Judith Edge locos loco’s but it appears they are mostly diesels locos, where as I am after Industrial steam locos.

I think there was someone around a few years ago who made brass kits but I think they went to Australia and are no longer producing them in 4mm scale.

As a side I got into Industrials after a visit a number of years ago to the Yorkshire Dales Railway as it was then, I think they call themselves the Embassy and Bolton Abby Railway now.

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Colin

5 minutes ago, Baldwin30762 said:

Hi all

I have been thinking for sometime about building an industrial EM Gauge layout, I know of a few RTR OO gauge industrials, but, I was wondering if anyone knew anyone who produce OO scale Industrial Loco kits, I have seen mentioned Judith Edge locos loco’s but it appears they are mostly diesels locos, where as I am after Industrial steam locos.

I think there was someone around a few years ago who made brass kits but I think they went to Australia and are no longer producing them in 4mm scale.

As a side I got into Industrials after a visit a number of years ago to the Yorkshire Dales Railway as it was then, I think they call themselves the Embassy and Bolton Abby Railway now.

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Colin

Yes - you're right - Impetus / Kalgarin.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Judith Edge have a few steam locomotives. Most notably the Hunslet 15 and 16 inch 0-6-0STs which were the mainstay of industrial railways from the 1920s onward.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

Also CSP.

http://cspmodels.com/abante/index.php?rt=product/manufacturer&manufacturer_id=21

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Baldwin30762 said:

I have seen mentioned Judith Edge locos loco’s but it appears they are mostly diesels locos, where as I am after Industrial steam locos.

They do some steam industrial locos as well Consett Class A 0-6-0 PT, Hunslet 15", Hunslet 16". They are good kits.. of course High Level and RT Models also do steam industrial kits. They also are good kits.

The Impetus kits are hard to find but are duplicated by more modern kits from the three concerns identified above.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

CSP Models do a vast range of steam industrial locos, nearly thirty types to be seen on this page - http://cspmodels.com/abante/index.php?rt=product/category&path=65

Mercian Models, having concentrated on 7mm, have a few of their range in 4mm available, if their website is up to date. http://www.modelrailways.tv/4mm-scale-page1.html

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All the above are excellent kits and I have examples of some of them.

Don't forget, however, especially perhaps if you are new to kit building (apologies if you are not), that many ex-main line locos got sold out of service to industry and to some light railways.

Some ex-GW pannier tanks were sold to the NCB, mostly in South Wales and also to London Transport. There was at least one 'Jinty' in NCB service in the Midlands and a couple of (still owned by BR) ex-Midland Railway 1F 0-6-0Ts working for Staveley Iron Works.

There were also a small number of ex-L&Y 'Pugs' sold to industry.

So if you didn't want to use one of the Hornby or Hattons industrials, you could re-livery one of the ex-main line company locos mentioned above, all of which are or were available RTR.

• Like 1

Hi Colin, 

Here's my 2 cents on the subject:

I would start with a High Level kit - everything goes together as it should and notably an excellent gearbox is included. The castings require very little in the way of cleaning up. Both the 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 HL/RSH kits I have built without any modification or hassle, they're not the smallest either  - so ideal for a beginner. Full provision is made for EM/P4 at all stages. The RT models Sentinel/Thomas Hill kits are excellent too and include a gearbox/motor. 

After that I would move on to CSP and Judith Edge kits, which are both well designed but in my experience require a little more craftsmanship and a working knowledge of kit construction. Some castings require cleaning up to give a smooth fit (CSP) and chassis construction is not as straightforward as High Level (JE) in my opinion. The choice of gearbox is left open to the builder and in this small scale/prototype can be a bit of a head-scratcher at times.  CSP require modification to the chassis if building to EM - Judith Edge cater for this from the outset. The RT models Manning Wardle is more akin to a CSP kit than their sentinel offerings. 

Mercian and early Impetus kits, well they're best tackled after you have cut your teeth on a few of the aforementioned as some parts require some surgery/modification and may not fit correctly etc. 

Best of luck - please do post progress to the Industrial locomotives and railways section of the forum where you'll find plenty of people willing to assist with advice and hopefully some inspiration from fellow modelers. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

One Loco I am after is a model of a Port of London Docks Railway as opposed to the NLR Dock tank 0-6-0T I am not sure who made them in the first place ( Hunslets?) but I am sure the old Yorkshire Dale Railway had one in there collection year ago, does this ring a bell with anyone?

Colin

Edited by Baldwin30762

• 2 months later...
On 23/06/2019 at 23:21, Baldwin30762 said:

One Loco I am after is a model of a Port of London Docks Railway as opposed to the NLR Dock tank 0-6-0T I am not sure who made them in the first place ( Hunslets?) but I am sure the old Yorkshire Dale Railway had one in there collection year ago, does this ring a bell with anyone?

Colin

Yorkshire engine co? 

On 30/08/2019 at 22:47, Marshall5 said:

Wasn't it a Hudswell?

Ray.

Sounds like the OC Hudswell Clarke. Agenoria did a couple of variants including the 1950s NCB loco. Designed by Pete Stamper, they go together well. The range is now with Ragstone models.

4 hours ago, doilum said:

Sounds like the OC Hudswell Clarke. Agenoria did a couple of variants including the 1950s NCB loco. Designed by Pete Stamper, they go together well. The range is now with Ragstone models.

Sorry: post Telford brain fade. I missed the "4" in the original title.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed in the latest Model Rail Hardy's Hobbies are doing a 3d resin body kit for a Huswell Clarke like 0-6-0T . Looking at their web page https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/product-category/locomotive-body-kits/ their are two versions, long and short tanks and are  supplied complete with crew, handrail knobs and wire, and smokebox door dart. Fits the Electrotren/Jouef outside cylinder 0-6-0 chassis which those using DCC might like to note has a 6 pin socket sensibly sited unlike Hornbys Peckett B2 etc.

Edited by Butler Henderson