Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

5 hours ago, Chris M said:

Here's a chart showing the number of layouts in various scales. The label shows scale, number of layouts,percentage of total layouts. The total layouts, as currently planned, is 91.

piechart.jpg

humph, some pie chart.

It doesn't even show how many food stalls there are, never mind whether any will be selling pies.

See you there in November!

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

humph, some pie chart.

It doesn't even show how many food stalls there are, never mind whether any will be selling pies.

See you there in November!

I don't think the pie chart would be big enough to show the (Food) pies due to their expense at the show...

• Like 1

I can say there will be 146 trade exhibitors, 58 modelling or railway societies, 13 railway preservation societies and 20 demonstrators as things stand today. I have heard there will be about 1,000 seats provided for visitors.  Despite having all that information I have absolutely no idea how many food stands there will be .  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...

I am surprised there have not been any comments about the layouts on show or from any of the exhibitors on the progress of their layouts.  It is 3 months since the last comment with only 2 months to go before the exhibition!  Is railway modelling falling out of popularity?

Peter

Edited by Crewlisle

1 minute ago, Crewlisle said:

I am surprised there have not been any comments about the layouts on show or from any of the exhibitors on the progress of their layouts.  It is 3 months since the last comment with only 2 months to go before the exhibition!

Peter

I can’t speak for other members, but I confess to not spending much time on RMweb over the last few months - too many distractions.... :D

Booked my tickets last week, but a few days ago an email titled ‘Warley-emailing-list - Warley Show 2019’ ended up in my junk folder, from Alf Fantham. I didn’t know if it was genuine or not, as it says how I’m on their mailing list and then mentions GDPR, but did any other members get the same email?

On 26/09/2019 at 21:00, Crewlisle said:

I am surprised there have not been any comments about the layouts on show or from any of the exhibitors on the progress of their layouts.  It is 3 months since the last comment with only 2 months to go before the exhibition!  Is railway modelling falling out of popularity?

Peter

Now I'm finding the layout list to be more confusing than that roundabout in Swindon so really can't fathom out how many are there, but perhaps that's why more Great Model Railway Challenge layouts are being added. I've always found that major shows book layouts 1-3 years in advance (so ought to be finished) but these things seem to have appeared with little notice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2019 at 09:38, JohnDMJ said:

Any RMWeb meet-ups planned? Last few years there's been a convivial get-together at the 'Spoons around 13:00ish.

I could be up for a meet.

i recall last year there was a ironic iconic gathering at the smallest layout on display too.

On 28/09/2019 at 09:18, 298 said:

Now I'm finding the layout list to be more confusing than that roundabout in Swindon so really can't fathom out how many are there, but perhaps that's why more Great Model Railway Challenge layouts are being added. I've always found that major shows book layouts 1-3 years in advance (so ought to be finished) but these things seem to have appeared with little notice.

I don't know how many GMRC layouts will be there as I am not involved in the planning for the show. I do know that space was planned for the winning GMRC layout right at the beginning this year. With over 90 layouts attending the show there are inevitably some drop outs due to illness, changed circumstances etc during the six months before the show. These spaces are filled by other layouts so fitting in another GMRC layout will often but not always be possible.

Agreed, exhibitors are strangely quiet on hear this year.

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I could be up for a meet.

i recall last year there was a ironic iconic gathering at the smallest layout on display too.

That's right - it was whichever layout Dave Tailby exhibited - and no, they don't all look the same!

I'm always up for a meet but sometimes I get the distinct impression that some RMwebbers do not want to meet other RMwebbers.  In recent years the turnout in 'Spoons has been sparse, which disappoints me as I was one of those who initiated the off-site meets.  If one is to have a proper chinwag it takes time - at least an hour - and much as I enjoy putting the world to rights over a cuppa or a pint it can leave precious little time to view layouts or do the shopping.

Chris 

Warley club's new N gauge layout Hawes Junction will be at the show. It was there last year but a lot of detail has been added since then. The station area has the correct track work and is scale length but the sidings and the viaduct have been shortened a little. Most of the scenic work was done by Ed Purcell and Bill Greatbatch although others have also put in many hours. Club member Same has spent the last two and a half years of club nights ballasting the track singlehandedly - she deserves a medal. Most of the stock at the exhibition will be Bill's. All are weathered and many have details added. There might even be an Ivatt 4MT (flying pig) running - it started life as a Farish standard 4 2-6-0 and Bill has done an excellent conversion.

At a more basic level I sneaked my HST onto the layout a coupe of weeks ago for a run. The correct signals for the location, which have the ability to work, will be added before the show.

At the exhibition it will be running stock that is correct for the Settle & Carlisle line in the 1950s, no HSTs allowed!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I'm always up for a meet but sometimes I get the distinct impression that some RMwebbers do not want to meet other RMwebbers.  In recent years the turnout in 'Spoons has been sparse, which disappoints me as I was one of those who initiated the off-site meets.  If one is to have a proper chinwag it takes time - at least an hour - and much as I enjoy putting the world to rights over a cuppa or a pint it can leave precious little time to view layouts or do the shopping.

Maybe it’s the handshake or the rolled up trouser leg which puts them off Chris. :D

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Maybe it’s the handshake or the rolled up trouser leg which puts them off Chris. :D

Either that or its the thought of having to walk around the exhibition carrying a briefcase and wearing a suit, bowtie and an apron!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Mr. King and I have been asked to repeat our demonstrations this year and will be in the usual corner not far from the gents.  We're both always happy to speak to anyone feeling in need of a sit down.

Same goes for me, I'm sat next to Mr King this year for my sins ;)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

I'm always up for a meet but sometimes I get the distinct impression that some RMwebbers do not want to meet other RMwebbers. 

Problem is I bump into so many I know in the hall I struggle to get round the whole show anyway and usually only sit down for 5 mins to eat lunch. ;)  Anyone is welcome to chat over the layout though :) 

• Agree 1