Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

On 07/10/2019 at 09:30, rab said:

Either that or its the thought of having to walk around the exhibition carrying a briefcase and wearing a suit, bowtie and an apron!

OK, briefcase, suit, even apron maybe but bowtie??!!

26 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

OK, briefcase, suit, even apron maybe but bowtie??!!

Taken from the Freemason website: 

“You will also be expected to wear a dark suit, white shirt, and black, or other suitable, tie...”

So a bow tie is plausible..... ;)

43 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Taken from the Freemason website: 

“You will also be expected to wear a dark suit, white shirt, and black, or other suitable, tie...”

So a bow tie is plausible..... ;)

Plausible, may be, but wouldn't be seen dead in one!! :jester:

Edited by JohnDMJ

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, devonseasider said:

Ignoring the Masons for a moment (at my own peril), will any of you good Warley people have advance tickets for sale at Taunton at the end of October, as in previous years?

You can only get them if you know the handshake. ;)

Edited by rab
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 07/10/2019 at 07:50, chrisf said:

That's right - it was whichever layout Dave Tailby exhibited - and no, they don't all look the same!

Such kind words Chris!! Should anybody wish to, I will have another small but perfectly-formed meeting place..........er..........layout there this year! I will also have my glamorous assistant Clive there too.  The place to be is Tudwick Road siding- 4ft 6inches of O gauge frippery over in the 'Naughty Corner'!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Hello - I have a spare ticket going for Warley if anyone wants to buy it off me for £15 (postage included!)? 

Unfortunately I have to go away for work and won't be around for it :(

Let me know and I'll message you direct.

Thanks a lot,

David

Hello - I have a spare ticket going for Warley if anyone wants to buy it off me for £15 (postage included!)? 

Unfortunately I have to go away for work and won't be around for it :(

Let me know and I'll message you direct.

Thanks a lot,

David

• RMweb Premium

With next year being the Hornby anniversary year, I wonder if they will be having any announcements at Warley....

They are already on record as saying that they have plans to mark the anniversary.

I know it will be nice to see the already announced items released (hopefully the Prairie tanks will be in the shops by then).

Just a thought, as there are only 4 weeks to go.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Its Hornbys 60th Anniversary in 2020

Which incarnation?:)

Meccano's Hornby was founded in 1920 but the current one isn't a lineal decendent by only using the name and is really a decendent of the triang brand

The Hornby company effectively went into Wrenn and onward at the Lines bros takeover.

A bit like the current Rolls Royce car company of which there is no connection with the original apart from the name.

Rolls Royce cars lives on in the VW owned Bentley Motors.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Well the modern Hornby Hobbies was 1980, not sure they had any anniversaries in 1960? 

They might leave announcements until the anniversary year rather than this year at Warley. I suspect the same post Xmas type slot as they did before. 

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Which incarnation?:)

Meccano's Hornby was founded in 1920 but the current one isn't a lineal decendent by only using the name and is really a decendent of the triang brand

The Hornby company effectively went into Wrenn and onward at the Lines bros takeover.

A bit like the current Rolls Royce car company of which there is no connection with the original apart from the name.

Rolls Royce cars lives on in the VW owned Bentley Motors.

Actually Rolls Royce cars lives on in BMW. RR does have a connection - it controls who can use its brand name. It didn't like VW using it so refused to let them. RR does aero engine development work with BMW so was happy for them to use it.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, meil said:

Actually Rolls Royce cars lives on in BMW. RR does have a connection - it controls who can use its brand name. It didn't like VW using it so refused to let them. RR does aero engine development work with BMW so was happy for them to use it.

Not as simple as that.

When Vickers put RR up for sale BMW were expected to buy it but wouldn't pay enough so the whole lot except the RR brand name was sold to VW.

BMW paid IIRC £40million for the name alone which left VW with the registered trade marked RR grill & Spirit of Ecstasy as well as the car factory and all the models being made.

BMW had a contract to make engines for RR&Bentley motors so the resulting situation was clearly untenable with BMW's RR with no car factory, no models to sell and no trade marks and VW dependent on BMW for engines.

They came to an agreement whereby VW would make RR cars for 5 years until BMW could gear up to make them themselves whilst agreeing to continue supplying VW with engines. As part of the agreement BMW also got the trade marks they needed.

There is no show wagon this year .  Interest had started to wain.

There have been quite a lot of special show wagons over the years, some by Warley club and some by Virgin Trains.

I designed the first ever Warley show wagon way back in the days before we went to the NEC some 31 years ago.

wp9a709935_05_06.jpg

Edited by Chris M
Photo added
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Chris M said:

There is no show wagon this year .  Interest had started to wain.

Thanks for that, I won't be on the lookout for one then! Like I say, it was more a souvenir of the show if it was a livery I fancied. I suspect many others were in the same boat.

Cheers

J