Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

• RMweb Gold

In my experience the trains are very busy or rammed simply because it’s usually the same weekend as the motorbike show or the much lamented clothes show :lol:

I’ll use the train when going as a punter as significantly cheaper than driving with advance split tickets. But for people who struggle with crowds the trains are going to be stressful as even getting to booked seats is difficult if it’s full and standing all through. 

Edited by PaulRhB

On 01/11/2019 at 09:43, Ron Ron Ron said:

It says applicable to any valid ticket event.

Would that be limited to events sold through the NEC and ticket agents?

The Warley show is a private event and tickets are not sold through the usual NEC booking service or agents, so will the Virgin Trains apply?

NEC

This offer applies to everything that is staged at the NEC, irrespective of who is running the event, and applies to all exhibitions. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Sunday also sounds like a better day unless you have a need to join the Bachmann and Dapol sales scrums.

Gone are the days of faultless half price "returns" locos on the Bachmann stand, unless you go just before pack-up on Sunday and you might just get a bargain if there is anything left they don't want to take home.

On 31/10/2019 at 12:47, Mel_H said:

I've just discovered that Virgin Trains offers 20% off for visitors to ANY exhibition at the NEC - or indeed event at the site - for advance booking.  The discount is only available through this page.

I haven't ploughed through all the previous posts on here, so if it's already mentioned, please ignore (or delete, Admins)

Just trying to be helpful...

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/nec?utm_campaign=nec_banner_2015&utm_medium=banner&utm_source=nec_partners&wt.mc_id= bn_033a_2

On 01/11/2019 at 09:43, Ron Ron Ron said:

It says applicable to any valid ticket event.

Would that be limited to events sold through the NEC and ticket agents?

The Warley show is a private event and tickets are not sold through the usual NEC booking service or agents, so will the Virgin Trains apply?

NEC

I got 20% off my tickets with Virgin - you need a valid advance entry ticket for the discount to apply as you will need to present them to the guard to evidence your discount validity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Gone are the days of faultless half price "returns" locos on the Bachmann stand, unless you go just before pack-up on Sunday and you might just get a bargain if there is anything left they don't want to take home.

No but you might pick up something you weren't expecting to find (or need) like a Dukedog.

Dapol just have a nice big pile of new stuff that they sell at a good price.

I wonder if I will be in the market for some N Gresleys.

Many thanks for the kind advice guys, very much appreciated. Thanks also for the offer of a quiet bolt hole and help on the day Chris, it is very reassuring to know we have options. 

We look forward to enjoying our Sunday at the show :-)

Richard

• Moderators

Whilst we were at Warley club's open day a local TV channel, Birmingham TV, were also producing content to go out on their digital channel before the show. Let us know if you find when anything goes out and whether it appears on their website - https://www.birminghamlocal.tv

Phil caught up with the presenters, They certainly seemed to enjoy their day filming!

We will be having prize draws for new subscribers on the BRM stand all weekend - stand A22 - more info here.

onlineprizepic.jpg?&width=600&height=380

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Is that not the same as Comic Con then? The dresses seemed just as weird (but occasionally definitely worth a second glance)

I remember last year being on a jam packed ATW 158 (just for the hop to New Street). Unfortunately I was told to get off because they wanted to maximise the number of passengers going beyond Wolverhampton, but I remember being able to tell which passengers had attended which NEC show.... :D

• Moderators

Whilst we were at Warley's open day I had a chat with Ian Carter about his new exhibit, The Great British Steam Locomotive from Cradle to Grave, which should be complete for the show.

We will be having prize draws for new subscribers on the BRM stand all weekend - stand A22 - more info here.

• Like 5

On 04/11/2019 at 23:20, dagrizz said:

Richard,

If you're attending on the Sunday, I can really recommend parking at Tile Hill and catching the train. Parking is free and a return ticket costs £2.50.

Graham 

Many thanks for the tip Graham, that sounds a good option :-).

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:57, AY Mod said:

Whilst we were at Warley's open day I had a chat with Ian carter about his new exhibit, The Great British Steam Locomotive from Cradle to Grave, which should be complete for the show.

Fascinating sounding exhibit - look forward to seeing it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

This has been my last year of "organising" the demo area at Warley. I shall be there for set up (from 1pm on the thursday) To break down on the Sunday. ..but, more importantly bring your wagons or locos along and have a hands on go at weathering on Saturday and Sunday

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, Barry O said:

This has been my last year of "organising" the demo area at Warley. I shall be there for set up (from 1pm on the thursday) To break down on the Sunday. ..but, more importantly bring your wagons or locos along and have a hands on go at weathering on Saturday and Sunday

Baz

I might take you up on that offer Barry. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having been to NEC with various layouts over the years this year I will be doing demo DCC decoder installation. However I will still be bringing a part of the layout, the lighting pelmet as it will be in use on a friends Swiss layout. The pelmet in now 13 years old and been used on numerous layouts, so it will be getting a spruce up this week.

Now to decide what locos to bring to fit decoders into. I will no doubt have one of my Heljan Manning and Wardle locos (for the next layout), possibly even to fit sound if the decoder arrives in time. There will also be a Bulleid light pacific that still requires a decoder fitting plus some USA outline locos.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Now to decide what locos to bring to fit decoders into. I will no doubt have one of my Heljan Manning and Wardle locos (for the next layout), possibly even to fit sound if the decoder arrives in time. There will also be a Bulleid light pacific that still requires a decoder fitting plus some USA outline locos.

I wouldn't worry too much, if my stock servicing demo is anything to go by you will spend all weekend fitting decoders for punters ;)

• Like 1