Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

On 04/11/2019 at 13:04, PaulRhB said:

In my experience the trains are very busy or rammed simply because it’s usually the same weekend as the motorbike show or the much lamented clothes show

You are right, Paul, the Motorbike show is indeed on and is at it's busiest over the weekend, also something called Worldskills UK Live as well!

On 04/11/2019 at 22:17, portbury said:

Thanks also for the offer of a quiet bolt hole and help on the day Chris, it is very reassuring to know we have options. 

Please, please, please check with the organisers before coming re the quiet area. As far as I know the unused areas of the hall would not be insured for use as they are not paid for so I'd be surprised if they could be used as others have suggested. An email to the organisers with the question should clarify things rather than guesswork. I'd hate for you to go and then find yourselves in trouble!

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Please, please, please check with the organisers before coming re the quiet area. As far as I know the unused areas of the hall would not be insured for use as they are not paid for so I'd be surprised if they could be used as others have suggested. An email to the organisers with the question should clarify things rather than guesswork. I'd hate for you to go and then find yourselves in trouble!

The person who responded is one of the organisers

Baz

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

The person who responded is one of the organisers

Baz

Ok but personally as one who looks after someone disabled I'd want something official from them not just from a forum. If that person is ill and doesn't make it and no-one else knows then he may have problems. His choice but I'd play safe.

Edited by Hobby

On 05/11/2019 at 12:52, SVRlad said:

I remember last year being on a jam packed ATW 158 (just for the hop to New Street). Unfortunately I was told to get off because they wanted to maximise the number of passengers going beyond Wolverhampton, but I remember being able to tell which passengers had attended which NEC show.... :D

Is that allowed...? At least there'd be delay repay if more than 15 mins... Usually use the ATW services myself, and with WMR/LNR strikes on, is a bit concerning. My local line is only on 1tph vice 3. Hope it doesn't effect attendance too much.

Edited by centraltrains

• RMweb Gold

Although not on the official Show layout list I shall be there with Canute Road Quay as one of the four layouts (in four different gauges: N, 009, 00 and 0)  on the Hornby Magazine stand. 
1CFED47E-78C0-45AE-B58D-1BC647CD08CC.jpeg.ac7ac9d94bd3f11e9912a551b67bb662.jpeg

BE34AC0A-EA16-4CDD-A78B-DD7158C79379.jpeg.bb724dff0fb13ad5792543aa78f08b81.jpeg

Drop by and say hello. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, centraltrains said:

Is that allowed...? At lest there'd be delay repay if more than 15 mins... 

We can ask but usually most people just ignore the requests. Stuff the passengers going long distances, as "I" want to get to my destination 10 minutes away (New Street!) asap! People are very self centred these days. A quick search says ARW were not signed up to delay repay anyhow (though they no longer exist and TfW are signed up!), however the train probably wasn't delayed so I am not sure how you'd stand with that... Chances are there'd be another to Wolves or New Street well withing the 15 minutes anyhow but people never take the easy option, preferring to stand rather than wait a few minutes...

Edited by Hobby

16 minutes ago, Hobby said:

We can ask but usually most people just ignore the requests. Stuff the passengers going long distances, as "I" want to get to my destination 10 minutes away (New Street!) asap! People are very self centred these days. A quick search says ARW were not signed up to delay repay anyhow (though they no longer exist and TfW are signed up!), however the train probably wasn't delayed so I am not sure how you'd stand with that... Chances are there'd be another to Wolves or New Street well withing the 15 minutes anyhow but people never take the easy option, preferring to stand rather than wait a few minutes...

I would have imagined the exchange of B'Ham Int -> B'Ham New & B'Ham New -> Wolvs+ would have made loading rather equal. Never seems busy to me, but come for 9 and usually done by 12/1 so maybe that's why?

I was referring to this year because the reduction of LNR/WMR services is bound to have an impact on all other services (I think 2 less per hour based on this weekend?). You can claim delay repay if the train was too busy to board, and I'd imagine it would come under that category.

I've never seen a non-standing/rammed London Midland/LNR service in the direction of Birmingham when coming back from Warley, so not sure it is an "easy option". XC would be less appropriate than ATW, Virgin, as long as not a Scotland one, might be ok but I'd have thought about equivalent to ATW. I always choose the ATW/TfW service because it's the one which I think will be least crowded, which seems a fair reason!

Edited by centraltrains

43 minutes ago, centraltrains said:

I would have imagined the exchange of B'Ham Int -> B'Ham New & B'Ham New -> Wolvs+ would have made loading rather equal. Never seems busy to me, but come for 9 and usually done by 12/1 so maybe that's why?

I was referring to this year because the reduction of LNR/WMR services is bound to have an impact on all other services (I think 2 less per hour based on this weekend?). You can claim delay repay if the train was too busy to board, and I'd imagine it would come under that category.

I've never seen a non-standing/rammed London Midland/LNR service in the direction of Birmingham when coming back from Warley, so not sure it is an "easy option". XC would be less appropriate than ATW, Virgin, as long as not a Scotland one, might be ok but I'd have thought about equivalent to ATW. I always choose the ATW/TfW service because it's the one which I think will be least crowded, which seems a fair reason!

It was around 15:15, but I was happy to comply with ATW, as I suppose it wouldn’t be fair on someone from Shropshire/North Wales to have to wait an hour for the next train to their station when the trains to New Street are about once every five minutes. 

I’ll go with Virgin, and might pre-book to get the best chance of getting a seat. 

1 hour ago, centraltrains said:

Bear in mind that both Virgin's and XC's delay repay is 30 minutes and with Virgin services between BHI and WVH you wouldn't be more than 30 late (unless the next one was late!) so i doubt you'd get it. You could try TfW though! Looking at the LNW website it seems though that LNW and WMR are both running a fair number of services. I've just looked at live times for International and most services seem to be there. Hopefully next week will be similar, fingers crossed.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Every year I wonder if I should go and then I look at this thread and decide, no. Just too much hassle.

I tend not to bother telling people where I am not going or don't want to go as I find they, generally, couldn't give one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Every year I wonder if I should go and then I look at this thread and decide, no. Just too much hassle.

Perhaps you should actually go.. you are missing so much  modelling.. If you haven;t been how do you know if it really is just "hassle"

Baz

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Perhaps you should actually go.. you are missing so much  modelling.. If you haven;t been how do you know if it really is just "hassle"

Baz

I used to be like this, now I'm there on a Saturday morning each year.

if you're not buying trains then there is plenty of time for the layouts

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 12/11/2019 at 11:36, Hobby said:

You are right, Paul, the Motorbike show is indeed on and is at it's busiest over the weekend, also something called Worldskills UK Live as well!

I have used that area for at least the last 5 years to organise my rucksack and bags or even just to sit for 5 minutes in peace and quite and apart from people asking me if I am okay (nice touch) nobody has mentioned that it was out of bounds so I would hazard a guess you will be fine.

In other news you will all be pleased to know that due a work related injury preventing me from walking more than about 50 yards (that's still 50 more than I could manage at the start of the week) I wont be at Warley this year so that is one less rucksack for everyone to moan about.:lol:

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

I see an awful lot of modelling at shows most weekends and most of it is to a very high standard, far higher than I will ever be able to achieve. I'm a bit of a bodger.

To read on here about the issues with transport at the NEC and the overcrowding at the show just puts me off.

I used to go the the show at Stotfold on the same weekend as Warley but the Letchworth club has moved their show to the following weekend. If the weather's any good I'll go to Duxford.

Cheers

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

To read on here about the issues with transport at the NEC and the overcrowding at the show just puts me off.

I tend to get the impression you are looking for excuses now! From outside the West Midlands you'll have a seat all the way to Intenational and anyhow the overcrowding (if there is any) is only between Coventry/International/New Street, after that it's ok and the time between those stations is only 10 minutes so it's not really an issue. As regards overcrowding at the show, that's long gone, busy, yes, but I can name many shows, even local ones that have that issue. They have widened the aisles over the years and provided many more seating areas so the issues of a few years ago have long gone. It will be busy around certain layouts but that is normal at any show of some high profile layouts, nothing they do will change that.

By all means say you don't want to go I don't have an issue with that but the "issues" you mention for not going are not really an excuse not to go any more as they've been resolved (the show) or are only short term (the train).

Edited by Hobby

For goodness sake! Is it really so vital to go to this show? I don't think it is, not at all.

All the feedback on here says that public transport is difficult, car parking is difficult and expensive and the show is so well attended that it is difficult to see the exhibits.

There are an enormous number of shows every year it isn't essential to go to Warley. Personally I'm looking forward to Peterborough and Manchester.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

For goodness sake! Is it really so vital to go to this show? I don't think it is, not at all.

All the feedback on here says that public transport is difficult, car parking is difficult and expensive and the show is so well attended that it is difficult to see the exhibits.

There are an enormous number of shows every year it isn't essential to go to Warley. Personally I'm looking forward to Peterborough and Manchester.

The RMWeb snatch squad is at the ready, you will be going to Warley :D

image.png.19d51841264ed1d0d059a1a3d91df1ad.png

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Great, go to the other exhibitions, then, no-one is forcing you to go.

But to put things straight, PT is fine, though crowded on a short section, but that can apply anywhere depending on what is going on (football fans, race goers, rugby fans, Christmas Markets for instance). Car parking is not difficult at all though can be expensive if you are on your own (though if there are four of you then at £3 each it's fine) and as i said before some layouts will always be difficult to see (and that will be the same wherever you go to see them) though most are just fine.

I'll leave it at that, it used to be quite bad, now it's not, come if you want to and you won't be disappointed but if you don't want to that's fine as well.

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

You are free to choose which shows you go to, but why do you feel a need to criticise the others?

"All the feedback on here says that public transport is difficult" Any comments on here to that effect are complete rubbish, so maybe you should look at the facts:

The NEC is well served by Birmingham International, which is a quite a busy station. It is also the only show I know of with an airport in the same complex, which makes it available to visitors from further away.

The faster services from Euston use 125mph Pendolinos which usually stop twice (Milton Keynes & Coventry)? You will get a guaranteed seat if you book it.

If you had booked early enough, the fares would have been reasonable too.

This makes it about the best public transport in the country.

This is Warley MRC's annual exhibition. If they felt they could do better by moving it, I am sure they would do so. They show no signs of doing this, which implies that it is a successful show for them.

As for Manchester & Peterborough: I hope you have a free weekend because they are on at the same time.

• Funny 1

Sunday is always quieter and is fine for seeing the layouts. If you don't like crowds then Sunday is the day to go.

Just to clarify people shouldn't use the void part of the hall; it isn't part of the exhibition and you have no right to be there. You won't be clamped in irons for being there but you may well be asked to leave the void and  go back into to the exhibition.  

If anyone has any problems of any kind there is plenty of help available. There is the Warley club information stand by the entrance who can contact all sorts of people and Warley stewards wearing bright yellow "here to help" tee shirts scattered around the hall . These stewards do not generally have radios. The NEC staff wear red jackets, they have a radio and will be very helpful, especially if medical assistance is required. There are also some Warley club members with maroon jackets who will help but they are often being pulled in many directions at the same time.