Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

Will be there with North Ballachulish (C32) but not in the location on the floor plan, as despite supplying plans and a photo of how the layout is exhibited, someone decided to put it in the centre of a long bin, so you could only see one (the short) side of the layout!  After a word with t'management good sense has prevailed and we are now relocated on the end where C48 /C47 were.

1382454842_NBnewsky.jpg.894d4bcbbb85e539051de0020918388c.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/11/2019 at 15:10, Hobby said:

Ok but personally as one who looks after someone disabled I'd want something official from them not just from a forum. If that person is ill and doesn't make it and no-one else knows then he may have problems. His choice but I'd play safe.

How did you know? I'm not all that well at the moment but will make the effort to be there over the weekend. Hopefully...

As I said in the above post, if anyone has a problem don't be afraid to ask for help, that's what all those people are there for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

As for Manchester & Peterborough: I hope you have a free weekend because they are on at the same time.

Thanks for that, they have been on different weekends in the past. The B&B has been booked for Manchester for several weeks now.

Cheers

• Administrators
4 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

For goodness sake! Is it really so vital to go to this show? I don't think it is, not at all.

It's important enough that you felt the need to tell us you wouldn't be gracing it with your presence...

Anyway, Phil's handy travel tip:  On Saturday, don't catch the first train after the end of the show. It will be crowded because everyone else is trying to go home at the same time.

Head over to the airport on the cable car thingy. Sit down in Frankie & Bennys restaurant, or Burger King if you prefer, or the 'spoons. Have something to eat. After an hour, the trains are a LOT quieter.

I might regret telling you thins, but I'm confident that everyone is so desperate to get back home to play with their new trainz* that hardly anyone will take my advice and the trains will still be quieter.

*By "play with their new trainz" I mean post endless photos of Facebook showing the "bargains" picked up.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

For goodness sake! Is it really so vital to go to this show? I don't think it is, not at all.

Some of us use it as a social event to meet up with people who live some distance away.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

I'll leave it at that, it used to be quite bad, now it's not, come if you want to and you won't be disappointed but if you don't want to that's fine as well.

The main problem was the lack of circulating space and the aisles being too narrow so when you had people on either side looking at the layouts (especially if they were wearing rucksacks ;)) the remaining space wasnt big enough for people to pass through, it was much better last year and apparently has been improved on again this year.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

*By "play with their new trainz" I mean post endless photos of Facebook showing the "bargains" picked up.

Bargains, what bargains, model trains are too expensive you know. :D

Fingers crossed for an Ultima Blue Pullman set in the returns bin for £40......

2 minutes ago, royaloak said:

The main problem was the lack of circulating space and the aisles being too narrow so when you had people on either side looking at the layouts (especially if they were wearing rucksacks ;)) the remaining space wasnt big enough for people to pass through, it was much better last year and apparently has been improved on again this year.

Also starting at the back and working forwards helps too as everyone wanders in goes 'Ooooh bargains at Cheltenham Model, Kernow, Dapol etc and cause a crowd'.

And I will be avoiding the Bachmann scrum stand - I don't need anymore engines (I might even be selling some/all of what I do have).  The year before last I ended up with a Dukedog at a very nice price, I think I've run it twice.

• Like 1

At about 1.40pm today BBC Look North (East Yorks and Lincs) ran a film report showing the Market Deeping club's vandalised but now repaired Woodcroft layout and mentioned that it would be on show this weekend, although I suspect they failed to say where. If so, another shining example of fair, accurate, carefully checked reporting by the Beeb?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It's important enough that you felt the need to tell us you wouldn't be gracing it with your presence...

I doubt if anywhere would be 'graced' by my presence, but watching your performance at Wycrail the other week it's clear that you feel the opposite about your appearances.

• Funny 1

27 minutes ago, gr.king said:

At about 1.40pm today BBC Look North (East Yorks and Lincs) ran a film report showing the Market Deeping club's vandalised but now repaired Woodcroft layout and mentioned that it would be on show this weekend, although I suspect they failed to say where. If so, another shining example of fair, accurate, carefully checked reporting by the Beeb?

What and have the general public in 'our' show.

Good gracious man, do you know how dangerous it is letting them in, they don't know the dangers of being sideswiped by a rucksack, that no polite queuing laws apply at the Dapol and Bachmann stands and that they don't appreciate that when someone gets their big lens out on their camera it is ok to stick it right in front of other peoples gaze.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Anyway, Phil's handy travel tip:  On Saturday, don't catch the first train after the end of the show. It will be crowded because everyone else is trying to go home at the same time.

Head over to the airport on the cable car thingy. Sit down in Frankie & Bennys restaurant, or Burger King if you prefer, or the 'spoons. Have something to eat. After an hour, the trains are a LOT quieter.

I might regret telling you thins, but I'm confident that everyone is so desperate to get back home to play with their new trainz* that hardly anyone will take my advice and the trains will still be quieter.

But don't forget about the (West Midlands Trains) London North Western Railway strike.

Apparently (according to another forum) a lot of the evening trains last Saturday (even as per the special timetable) to Northampton from both Euston and Birmingham were cancelled leaving passengers stranded.

Edited by jonathan452
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, jonathan452 said:

But don't forget about the (West Midlands Trains) London North Western Railway strike.

Apparently (according to another forum) a lot of the evening trains last Saturday (even as per the special timetable) to Northampton from both Euston and Birmingham were cancelled leaving passengers stranded.

but a lot of what is said on Forums can be a bit biased by the writer. so be careful..

Baz

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, jonathan452 said:

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

but a lot of what is said on Forums can be a bit biased by the writer. so be careful..

Baz

Yes, be careful....

Screenshot_20191118-171413.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

What and have the general public in 'our' show.

Good gracious man, do you know how dangerous it is letting them in, they don't know the dangers of being sideswiped by a rucksack, that no polite queuing laws apply at the Dapol and Bachmann stands and that they don't appreciate that when someone gets their big lens out on their camera it is ok to stick it right in front of other peoples gaze.

Don't forget the "Eau de Railway Modeller":jester:

• Like 2

Most of us are too polite to tell the 50 stone gentleman of pensionable age who smells of urine that his two large rucksacks hanging off the sides of his electric mini-bike and his Pentax telephoto lens out front that he is at the wrong exhibition and this isn't the Cosplay show.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice if you've just been floored by some cretin swinging the aforementioned rucksack the size of a small planet, to get an apology instead of been looked at with daggers for getting in the way of their rucksack.

Yes, I have been knocked completely over by such an imbecile whilst stationary browsing at a retailers stand as they swung around without looking.

The chap just scowled at me.

Unfortunately it seems to be the norm at Warley, whilst elsewhere you would get an apology, for some reason at Warley it is "you" that appears to be in the wrong.

I have been clouted frequently by wayward rucksacks and never an apology.

The rest of what's on that list above doesn't bother me overly, but rucksacks.........

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

There are still BR trains? How wonderful.

Probably someone who hasn't been on a train since the days of the BR sandwich..... 

For those not paying attention and calling those concerned with travelling down moaners, the trains are going to be severely disrupted and they are telling you NOT to travel. Is it worth the risk? Maybe if you have a ticket and accommodation it is. Personally I wouldn't chance it.

Description

Planned industrial action by members of the RMT Union means that London Northwestern Railway and West Midlands Railway will run a reduced service on Saturdays in November and December.

London Northwestern Railway and West Midlands Railway will only be able to provide a very basic service. Please carefully consider whether your journey is absolutely necessary, as significant disruption is expected.

Only travel if necessary.

Industrial action is due to take place on the following dates:

Saturday 23 November

Saturday 30 November

Saturday 7 December

Saturday 14 December

Saturday 21 December

Saturday 28 December

On the affected strike days, there will be fewer trains running with some stations not being served. Also some train services will finish earlier than normal and no additional bus services will run.

Additional information:

Plan ahead: You can plan your journey now via these links to London Northwestern Railway and West Midlands Railway travel advice. Please also check just before you travel, using the National Rail Enquiries real-time Journey Planner, which will be updated by the day before each strike day. Be aware that train times may change at the last minute.

Leave more time for journeys: Don't aim for the last train home, get there early and be prepared to queue at some stations.

Only travel on strike days if necessary: You may want to consider travelling on another day or not travelling by rail at all. The trains that do run are going to be really busy, so please consider if your journey is essential.

Other train companies who share the route with London Northwestern Railway and West Midlands Railway are scheduled to run a normal service: However, trains are going to be busier than normal.

Check before you travel:

The normal planned service is still showing for each affected Saturday in journey planners - we expect these to be updated with the strike timetable for each strike day by the Friday before.

Twitter:
If you would like to follow this incident on Twitter, please use #WMRIndustrialAction or #LNRIndustrialAction

Compensation:
You may be entitled to compensation if you experience a delay in completing your journey. Please keep your train ticket and make a note of your journey, as both will be required to support any claim.

We want to make information better – tell us how! Fill out this online Disruption Survey.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Most of us are too polite to tell the 50 stone gentleman of pensionable age who smells of urine that his two large rucksacks hanging off the sides of his electric mini-bike and his Pentax telephoto lens out front that he is at the wrong exhibition and this isn't the Cosplay show.

If his kit and bags hit you tell him, if you're hurt ask him for compensation. He'll soon learn. Just co's he's disabled doesn't mean he shouldn't be considerate to others. You have as much right to a satisfactory day out as he has. People have no right to be a nuisance to others because of their circumstances and the organisers should take steps to ensure that any individual does not cause problems for others. 

• Agree 4

I've been involved with the Warley show since well before it was at the NEC. It's been wonderful to see it grow into what it is today. We took a massive risk in going to the NEC. The main reason for going to the NEC was to create a showpiece for the wonderful world of model railways. It has been very successful and has grown from the smallest hall at the NEC to the largest. 

It is still quite a unique show and we have at least one full size exhibit every year. We also have a number of layouts brought across from Europe every year. Although foreign layouts aren't to everyone's taste it's great to see what is often a slightly different approach. Because there are over 90 layouts there is a fantastic variety with some of the best modelling you will see and also some interesting oddities. We also have the winners of the Great Model Railway Challenge together with a few other layouts from the programme. You might just see "Stern Steve Flint" on the Peco stand.

A lot of effort has been made to attract small trade exhibitors as well as the big boys. All the magazines are there and usually the editors are there in person.

We also make a special effort to have as many railway, preservation and modelling societies as possible although there has to be a limit of around 50 stamds. This provides a great chance to chat to societies you are interested in and maybe join them.

Then there is what is almost certainly the largest collection of demonstrators at any show.

In order to encourage youngsters we now have a junior admission price of just £1 which applies to both days.

We believe it is a great show and the main driver behind it is to enhance our hobby. Perhaps the most amazing thing is that this show is put on by a bunch of amateurs; basically just ordinary club members. There are no paid staff  and there is no big business behind the scenes  although we are very grateful that we have our sponsors. There are a lot of people giving up their time for free to make the show happen every year. We all just do it for the good of the hobby and the thrill of being there.

We just love to see lots of people there enjoying a day out.

In all those years I have never been hit by a rucksack bit I have seen thousands of happy people.

I recommend that you all buy a two day ticket so you have time to fully enjoy it all!

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

20 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

It would be nice if you've just been floored by some cretin swinging the aforementioned rucksack the size of a small planet, to get an apology instead of been looked at with daggers for getting in the way of their rucksack.

Yes, I have been knocked completely over by such an imbecile whilst stationary browsing at a retailers stand as they swung around without looking.

The chap just scowled at me.

Unfortunately it seems to be the norm at Warley, whilst elsewhere you would get an apology, for some reason at Warley it is "you" that appears to be in the wrong.

I have been clouted frequently by wayward rucksacks and never an apology.

The rest of what's on that list above doesn't bother me overly, but rucksacks.........

In such case you should ask him for the costs of cleaning your clothes as a minimum and compensation for the injury if any. I believe it counts at least as battery which in most minor cases does not warrent redress but in the case you describe you would certainly be entitled to ask him for compensation. He'd soon learn. As I mentioned eleswhere, in this case the organsiers should ask him to remove the rucksack, deposit it elsewhere or leave. Organisers have to be accountable in these cases - see what happens if someone's a problem at a concert or show.  An exhibition should be no different.

Try telling people straight this year if you are hit. It's only by we victims (yes, I've been hit too) taking a stand that change will come about.

Edited by RichardS
  • Like 1

bus.

23 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Probably someone who hasn't been on a train since the days of the BR sandwich..... 

For those not paying attention and calling those concerned with travelling down moaners, the trains are going to be severely disrupted and they are telling you NOT to travel. Is it worth the risk? Maybe if you have a ticket and accommodation it is. Personally I wouldn't chance it.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx

Jason

I've eaten worse sandwiches than those BR supplied - which I never found to be too bad in comparison!

And as far as BR is concerned - I'm actually ahead of the game.  TOCs are so 1990s!